Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times

Advertisements

Click My Settings > Your Control Panel > Settings & Options > Edit Ignore List > Add a Member to Your List > bad apples (example only)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM

55 posts, read 68,087 times
:Thumb:

Thank you

Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Yes, this is my observation, too. I never noticed obese people when I lived in Seattle. Seattle people are so into outdoor sports, they're among the fittest populations in the US. Much of the West Coast is, in fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I am not sure where the "obese" thing comes from. Seattle is pretty fit; a quick search reveals that in fact Mens Fitness found it the third fittest city in the US for 2014.
Go INSIDE the businesses in in Seattle, except for REI, obviously. In almost every office space, you'll see obesity dominating.

It's not "car dependence". The city forces businesses to subsidize the public transit system. Sitting on a bus for nearly four hours a day because it's nearly free is a LOT worse than driving for 30-40 minutes one way.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
By in large, I can't stand the people here. It's all quiet, smiling narcissism, aloof arrogance, plagiarized culture, and non-stop screaming about how this is the greatest place on Earth. I've never seen so many fools so convinced of the inherent goodness of enormous, faceless, tyrannical bureaucracy; so bound and determined to condemn anyone who doesn't fit into a neat and tidy one-size-fits-all 'perfect' lifestyle.

These people thoroughly believe themselves that they are the most open, accepting, welcoming bunch in the country, when most are closeted bigots, hateful of people, not because of their ethnicity, but because of their ideas. A pox on them all.

I grew up and lived in Snobeattle for over 30 years.

The above posts spells-out to a T the attitude of MOST Snobeattle propagandists and the residents in general.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:54 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Click My Settings > Your Control Panel > Settings & Options > Edit Ignore List > Add a Member to Your List > bad apples (example only)

Thanks I have been looking for a way to ignore Canadians.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,793 times
Seattle is definitely one of the most fit cities I've ever been to. Really you should visit Detroit or St Louis. Now talk about real gloom.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:49 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Seattle is definitely one of the most fit cities I've ever been to. Really you should visit Detroit or St Louis. Now talk about real gloom.
Truth be told, most of the Midwest.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Go INSIDE the businesses in in Seattle, except for REI, obviously. In almost every office space, you'll see obesity dominating.
Sorry, none of the offices I worked in and around had any obese people, when I lived there. None of the offices I visited did. None of the downtown office workers I saw streaming to lunch at noon were obese, or even noticeably overweight.Ditto for the people I saw in coffee shops and popular neighborhood hang-outs. Seattle may have certain things going against it, but obesity isn't one of them.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry, none of the offices I worked in and around had any obese people, when I lived there. None of the offices I visited did. None of the downtown office workers I saw streaming to lunch at noon were obese, or even noticeably overweight.Ditto for the people I saw in coffee shops and popular neighborhood hang-outs. Seattle may have certain things going against it, but obesity isn't one of them.
Let's be clear.

If you're a female under 6'0 and you weigh 150lbs or more, that's obese, by definition.

If you're a male under 6'0 and you're over 250lbs, you might be obese, by definition, unless you look like Dwayne Johnson.

Now, if you're telling me all you see are toothpicks, I'd call you a liar. More likely, what you think is "not noticeably overweight" is borderline obese. Either that or you don't work in call centers where the obese workers are.

Better yet, experience irony firsthand. Go to any Subway in King County and order something. 9/10 chance the worker will be obese.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM

172 posts, read 255,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Let's be clear.

If you're a female under 6'0 and you weigh 150lbs or more, that's obese, by definition.

If you're a male under 6'0 and you're over 250lbs, you might be obese, by definition, unless you look like Dwayne Johnson.

Now, if you're telling me all you see are toothpicks, I'd call you a liar. More likely, what you think is "not noticeably overweight" is borderline obese. Either that or you don't work in call centers where the obese workers are.

Better yet, experience irony firsthand. Go to any Subway in King County and order something. 9/10 chance the worker will be obese.
Ummm no you are completely wrong about the obesity definitions. For a 5'8 woman like myself, the healthy weight range is normally listed between 125 and 160 pounds. At 128 pounds, I look very thin with my chest bones showing (I have extreme trouble gaining weight). Over 150 pounds wouldn't even be overweight for my height, until you started getting into the 170's range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area