Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 AM

55 posts, read 68,097 times

Advertisements

My wife will be driving into Issaquah on the 90 from the Minneapolis area in a - less than reliable - car. Its not such that its a bad car, just has a lot of miles (nearing 250K on a Honda Accord.)

So my question is, there seems to be two major mountain ranges between Minneapolis and Issaquah, one in Western Montana and one between East and West Washington.

Just how big/steep are these ranges. Are we talking Southern California Grapevine levels of steep, or much more gradual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
About the same.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 AM

Thats... worrisome

Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
My wife will be driving into Issaquah on the 90 from the Minneapolis area in a - less than reliable - car. Its not such that its a bad car, just has a lot of miles (nearing 250K on a Honda Accord.)

So my question is, there seems to be two major mountain ranges between Minneapolis and Issaquah, one in Western Montana and one between East and West Washington.

Just how big/steep are these ranges. Are we talking Southern California Grapevine levels of steep, or much more gradual?
Curious, then, why someone would make the trip if the risk is arbitrarily perceived as high. Presumably the root of the question.

Gaming out cost of catastrophic failure vs. cost of shipping, on the back of envelope, might give a course of action fairly quickly. This is called "expected value of a decision" and basically compares/contrasts odds of an event occurring times cost (or gain) if it occurs, compared to another decision path also with similarly calculated odds & gain (or cost). Take whichever decision costs less (or promises more gain).

Couple minutes on the phone or online with an auto hauler to get a quote will answer the shipping question. Last time I looked into it, for a 3,000 mile vehicle haul vs. driving using IRS mileage rates, it wasn't worth it to drive (I also added lodging, food, and cost of my time in addition to depreciation, wear and tear, and fuel which "I think" are included in the IRS mileage rate). A clunker, maybe it is worth it depending on how far she's intending to drive every day and what the backup plans are for if/when it catastrophically fails (risk tolerance). Residual on a high-mileage Honda probably can't get much lower than current, at that kind of mileage (close to zero, I assume: scrap value).

Mildly curious the expected cost if it explodes in the summer heat on some grade in Montana, or smokes the brakes coming down the other side. There are more than a few grades, to be sure, on that particular run. I'd probably not do that trip in August, either, which is oven-hot in the Dakotas and Montana.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Are you moving here, or just driving here for a visit? If the latter, and your car risks stranding you - or worse - have you considered renting a car for the trip? If the former, would it make sense to sell the old rattletrap before you leave, then either fly here or buy another more reliable vehicle?

Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
I live in Issaquah and I've got family in Minneapolis. We've done the route twice... taking 94/90 (N. Dakota) and 35/90 (S. Dakota).

I wouldn't worry about Snoqualmie Pass (divides W. WA from the rest of the state). It's more gradual than one expects.

That pass that separates Montana from Idaho (Lookout Pass) is the one that's going to make you anxious... it was kinda overwhelming.. both times... both directions... take it slow... as slow as you want. I think I was chugging along at 40-45 mph in a fully packed Ford Fiesta (kids, luggage for 6 weeks and 2 bikes). God, it's beautiful though.... the whole drive once you are past Billings is just lovely...
if you took 35/90 (which takes more time, but enjoyable), things get interesting once you get to the Bad Lands and Rapid City.

There are a few steeper moments between Missoula and Bozeman... but really, it's just that one pass going into Idaho. Take a charged cell phone, carry water, identify places you can stop every 1-2 hours that has services.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I live in Issaquah and I've got family in Minneapolis. We've done the route twice... taking 94/90 (N. Dakota) and 35/90 (S. Dakota).

I wouldn't worry about Snoqualmie Pass (divides W. WA from the rest of the state). It's more gradual than one expects.

That pass that separates Montana from Idaho (Lookout Pass) is the one that's going to make you anxious... it was kinda overwhelming.. both times... both directions... take it slow... as slow as you want. I think I was chugging along at 40-45 mph in a fully packed Ford Fiesta (kids, luggage for 6 weeks and 2 bikes). God, it's beautiful though.... the whole drive once you are past Billings is just lovely...
if you took 35/90 (which takes more time, but enjoyable), things get interesting once you get to the Bad Lands and Rapid City.

There are a few steeper moments between Missoula and Bozeman... but really, it's just that one pass going into Idaho. Take a charged cell phone, carry water, identify places you can stop every 1-2 hours that has services.

Awesome,

This is just what I'm looking for. Overall, I wouldn't say the Honda is a clunker, its just getting on in miles and has some chugging problems. We haven't had a transmission issue yet, but thats what I worry about the most. It has a small oil leak, so we will certainly be packing a few quarts to add along the way.

In terms of heat, it appears that it will be in the low 90's on the day we plan to move through, and we actually plan to move through Lookout pass in the early morning, so temps should be ebtween 68-78.

I see the biggest range is between Missoula and Post Falls; but it seems there is also a small range between Butte and Missoula. Would you recommend a stop in Missoula to let the car rest a bit before tackling the Lookout Pass?

As for transport vs. driving, Gas we estimate will be about 6-7 hundred. Transport of the car + flying to Issaquah will run about 2300. If we based only on that, it seems like driving is still the best option.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Awesome,

This is just what I'm looking for. Overall, I wouldn't say the Honda is a clunker, its just getting on in miles and has some chugging problems. We haven't had a transmission issue yet, but thats what I worry about the most. It has a small oil leak, so we will certainly be packing a few quarts to add along the way.

In terms of heat, it appears that it will be in the low 90's on the day we plan to move through, and we actually plan to move through Lookout pass in the early morning, so temps should be ebtween 68-78.

I see the biggest range is between Missoula and Post Falls; but it seems there is also a small range between Butte and Missoula. Would you recommend a stop in Missoula to let the car rest a bit before tackling the Lookout Pass?

As for transport vs. driving, Gas we estimate will be about 6-7 hundred. Transport of the car + flying to Issaquah will run about 2300. If we based only on that, it seems like driving is still the best option.
We did the trip in 3 days (I'll reverse it for you since you are westbound)

Day 1: Minneapolis -> Glendive, Montana. We stopped for lunch in Fargo, had a 2nd lunch (we're hobbits) in Bismarck and had coffee in Dickinson (called Serendipity). Dinner was just outside Glendive, which sucked... but so does all of Eastern Montana.... Don't spend the night in N. Dakota, because the oil boom is making things pricer than Montana.

Day 2: Glendive -> Missoula. We stopped for a snack in Billings (I really hate Billings.... a lot angry, religious weirdness happening in that city...). We had lunch in Bozeman (great college town) at a really hip noodle shop called Naked Noodle. We had coffee at Coffee Corral in Anaconda (you're going to see this bizarre, gigantic smoke stack to the left side of the interstate). Dinner was in Missoula.

Day 3: Missoula -> Issaquah We had lunch in Spokane, stopped for Starbucks at Moses Lake.

You could do the trip in two days, probably staying the night in Billings. I really can't give you advice on how frequently you will want to stop... I think it's going to depend on your vehicle and your tolerance threshold. Again, that's why I suggest identifying ahead of time possible stops (include exit numbers!) every hour or so: If you're feeling good, just keep going. Need to stop? Well, you already know when and where.

The drive is completely worth it.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:51 PM

Thats great, thank you. Yes, the plan is a two day drive with an overnight in Billings. Since there will be two drivers, a 7-8 hour stretch each on the first day wont be too daunting.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Thats great, thank you. Yes, the plan is a two day drive with an overnight in Billings. Since there will be two drivers, a 7-8 hour stretch each on the first day wont be too daunting.
That itinerary is from last summer when it was just me and the kids. I think I could have handled 2 days on my own too, but why push it if I didn't need to?

Have a great trip and welcome to Issaquah! We lived in Seattle for our first 9 months in WA but decided on Issaquah because of the schools, the Issaquah Alps, cute little downtown, trails, trees and proximity to 90... and we chose Issaquah Highlands because we could afford a townhouse (which is about all the debt we were willing to take on) in a very family-friendly neighborhood that had amenities within walking distance (we're in the "lower" highlands). All of Issaquah is lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area