Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 05:21 AM

4 posts, read 4,484 times

Advertisements

My husband started a new job in Bellevue in February while I have stayed behind with the kids to sell our house. He's currently renting a room, but we have ramped up our search for an apartment since we are set to close on our house and move the whole family by the beginning of September. I'm having a bit of sticker shock at the price of apartments. We have three kids under 6 and are looking for a two bedroom apartment in a decent school district since we have one starting kindergarten.

Renton seems like the only affordable option with a close enough commute to Bellevue, but my Husband said he didn't care for that area. Any other suggestions?

I do plan on getting a job to supplement his income, but work as a Nursing Assistant and am not sure how long it will take to transfer my license. I also have a degree in German and International Business, however it seems any money I would make working a regular 9-5 would go straight to childcare. My husband is insistent that that we will be fine money wise, but all the threads on this board saying a family can't survive on less than 100k have me worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
surviving on 52k is honestly relative to your own budget and expenses. How much can you afford for rent? I think the 100k comments are more about standards of living compared to what others are used to as well. I've been window shopping seattle for a few months with no ability to move, but just wanting to see how things are and for my situation it would likely be $2,500 at the cheapest for a house but more than likely $3,500 range so i would be one of the ones in the 100k situation.

As far as your living situation i'm sure many will chime in on some suggestions of places to live; i've heard most say "east side" is better and places like Sammamish, Issaquah, and others (i believe) have good schools and are safe areas. A quick check on CL found multiple listings for 2bds for $1600-2k a month. Issaquah has some cheaper listings starting at $1200.

good luck on your search!

Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
A tough one indeed. Is that 52k gross?

Have you visited this website yet:
[url=http://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermitsandCertificates/ProfessionsNewReneworUpdate/NursingAssistant/ApplicationsandForms]Nursing Assistant Applications and Forms :: Washington State Dept. of Health[/url]

I started a NAC program end of September and was certified by December. Will you be working in a facility or home care?

I'm not sure how great the schools are in SE Bellevue, near Lake Hills, but we really like the area and if you live near Crossroads Mall there are a ton of amenities. My kids have been in camps at the community center behind Crossroads and it's a great, diverse area.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I think your husband probably only saw a small part of Renton. The part of Renton in the eastern Renton Highlands is in the Issaquah school district, and doesn't look very different than Issaquah or Bellevue.
Or look at the Crossroads area of Bellevue, or Bellevue's Newport Hills or Lake Hills. Rents are lower there. Or Kingsgate in Kirkland.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:21 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Another area to look at is Bothell, which is north of Lake Washington - I-405 to Bellevue (13 miles). GreatSchools.org rates its schools at 9 (out of 10). 2Bd Apt/House $1,200 - $1,600.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:36 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Renton/Renton Highlands isn't that bad. Lynnwood or Mill Creek might also work. The commute will suck no matter what you do in your price range, btdt.

Until recently, we lived on what your husband makes just fine, but have two less children and no real debt/mortgage. I was offered a good paying FT position out of the blue that was too good to refuse, so went just back to work. Otherwise, we were getting on fine on one income and still basically live on one even though I work now.

Most landlords will require 2.5-3 times the rent in income, generally more the latter than the former. Water/sewer here is really expensive, at least compared to where I am from, so try to find a place that covers that in the rent. Some do, some don't, never hurts to ask.

Did you all research this move at all before you decided to do it? I'm originally from the Midwest and the sticker shock for housing and daycare here...I still haven't gotten over it, but I knew full well what we were getting into beforehand because we spent two years researching the move before doing it. If you are from a LCOL area, good luck. Seattle area is not SF or NYC expensive, but pricy nonetheless.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:39 PM

56 posts, read 87,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Water/sewer here is really expensive, at least compared to where I am from, so try to find a place that covers that in the rent.
This is true. Even compared with Tacoma it's a lot more. We're in a house in Seattle, don't use that much water and have a the smallest of the "tall" trash cans and we pay $300/month for water/trash. Add in electricity and gas and it's quite a bit, especially during the chilly winters, up to $600/month just for those basic utilities.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:36 AM

4 posts, read 4,484 times
Flyingsaucermom, I have looked at the website. I've worked for the last three years as a CNA on a hospital med/surg floor. I'm hoping to find something similar, but am open to what's available. Did you do the AIDS training in your program? I didn't have this in Wisconsin and am confused on what WA will accept since they said it can be self-directed study.

My Husband just put in an application for a place in Juanita. It's 1450 and includes sewer/water/garbage. I am used to heating bills of 300-400/month during our Midwest winters and am hoping WA's slightly more mild winters will help offset what we are used to paying for utilities.

My Husband did some brief research, but I don't think he looked into the specifics. Just estimated that housing would be 30% more that what we're used to. I don't think he was being entirely realistic in his research, since this was his dream job. I feel wholly unprepared for this move, but he assures me it will all pan out.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:36 AM

347 posts, read 669,362 times
Have you made a budget? Assuming your initial figure was net that means about $4300 a month. Minus 1450 your down to 2850 to pay for everything else. Factor in food, power, gas, car payment, insurances, internet, phones, cable, debt payments, etc...I couldn't help with those figures since I'm not a local and I don't have kids but I'm sure people here can give your reasonable ranges for some of these costs. I could give educated guesses if it comes down to that though...I kind of budget for fun...I don't know why...maybe it goes back to watching a lot of the price is right as a kid. Anyway to me it seems like you'll be OK but there's no harm in being cautious.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:52 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hausmaus01 View Post
Flyingsaucermom, I have looked at the website. I've worked for the last three years as a CNA on a hospital med/surg floor. I'm hoping to find something similar, but am open to what's available. Did you do the AIDS training in your program? I didn't have this in Wisconsin and am confused on what WA will accept since they said it can be self-directed study.

My Husband just put in an application for a place in Juanita. It's 1450 and includes sewer/water/garbage. I am used to heating bills of 300-400/month during our Midwest winters and am hoping WA's slightly more mild winters will help offset what we are used to paying for utilities.

My Husband did some brief research, but I don't think he looked into the specifics. Just estimated that housing would be 30% more that what we're used to. I don't think he was being entirely realistic in his research, since this was his dream job. I feel wholly unprepared for this move, but he assures me it will all pan out.

My program did include the 7 hr HIV course.. but look at this school's program (and it's not too far from Junita):

[url=http://evergreennursingschool.org/?page_id=14]Classes | Evergreen Nursing School[/url]

The programs out here are like ordering off a menu... you get the basic certification and then you add certificates of completion depending on the employer's requirements. I did nurse's delegation and first aide later per my own desire to follow a nursing track (I have since changed my mind). I opted for the self-directed option for the nurse's delegation.

I'm glad you'd work in a facility. I was in home care and I was often frustrated by changes in schedule and random shifts that involved a lot of unpaid travel. I enjoyed the intimacy with the clients, but financially I think it's better to have a stable schedule in a stable location. With three years experience you can take comfort that you'll be able to get a job immediately.

You should see a smaller bill for heating... I think our average is about $250 on a 1850 sq ft condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area