Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:38 AM

5 posts, read 6,986 times

Advertisements

I am new to this area and am amazed at the overall negative tone about the Seattle areas. We are considering a relocation but after reading so many topics and so many comments I think we will change our mind and back out of the job offers.
To lighten the atmosphere a bit, I came across these tongue-in-cheek 'judgemental maps'. Maybe it has been posted already if not, maybe someone finds it amusing.
Here is Seattle's map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 02:54 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnwdutchgrl View Post
I am new to this area and am amazed at the overall negative tone about the Seattle areas. We are considering a relocation but after reading so many topics and so many comments I think we will change our mind and back out of the job offers.
To lighten the atmosphere a bit, I came across these tongue-in-cheek 'judgemental maps'. Maybe it has been posted already if not, maybe someone finds it amusing.
Here is Seattle's map
Sorry you didn't like it here and good luck to you, but thanks for posting the map, it's pretty funny.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Here is Seattle's map
The map is kind of funny.. We already have enough people living here, so as much as I am sad to see you go..

Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 AM

338 posts, read 847,787 times
I think it pretty silly to not move here because of some random forum online and negative comments. You know that half those threads are started by trolls and many are just gripey people in general?
I love it here. Wouldn't let random strangers talk me out of living here either. *confused on that one*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Not all people with tattoos and piercings qualify as "white trash".. I am actually going by the element of people I see in the area and it is their behavior that I am more critiquing than their appearance. I have experienced the same foul-mouthed, close-minded and degenerate attitude from people there in Capitol Hill, as I would in some backwoodsy redneck town. Basically, what I am saying is that low-class, foul-mouthed and inconsiderate types of people dwell in both cosmopolitan urban centers as well as less wealthy blue collar working class towns.
I get that, but the way it was stated, made it sound like you were calling people white trash BECAUSE of their having tattoos and piercings.

As far as foul-mouthed goes, who cares? Honestly, words are words. I can call you (general you to the forum, not one poster in particular) a "stinkin' stupid-faced jerk in need of a butt-plug" and make it sound just as hurtful and foul as calling you a "piece of s$it your mother won't flush." Point being that it's about intent, not the words.
If I walk down the street and say s$it, that doesn't make me some sort of awful person.
If you expect to live in the US and never hear any swearing, I suggest you move to a quiet, small 100% religious town (and good luck, it happens there too), stop watching any movies/tv, stop reading books, stop playing video games, stop talking to people, and become a hermit.

Then I suppose you'll stop encountering all that "white trash."

Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Here is Seattle's map
You know how people on internet forums and comment sections can be- if brings out the worst in a lot of people. Do you really think there's some magical force ties to the region that makes people act differently from how they would in other cities? It may have its own variation of demographics, but come on... Seattle is just another US city.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:38 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
Here is Seattle's map
That's really weird - basing your move on comments made by malcontents, losers, and trolls???

Old 08-07-2014, 01:00 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Quote:
Here is Seattle's map
As others have said, it's silly to make up your mind about where to live based on an internet forum, especially when Seattle is regarded by many national publications as one of the better US cities to live in. The people who incessantly bash Seattle on this forum are likely lonely boys with acne and too much time on their hands; they're not exactly the best indicator for the viability of an entire metro region.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
I think it pretty silly to not move here because of some random forum online and negative comments. You know that half those threads are started by trolls and many are just gripey people in general?
I love it here. Wouldn't let random strangers talk me out of living here either. *confused on that one*

I get that, but the way it was stated, made it sound like you were calling people white trash BECAUSE of their having tattoos and piercings.

As far as foul-mouthed goes, who cares? Honestly, words are words. I can call you (general you to the forum, not one poster in particular) a "stinkin' stupid-faced jerk in need of a butt-plug" and make it sound just as hurtful and foul as calling you a "piece of s$it your mother won't flush." Point being that it's about intent, not the words.
If I walk down the street and say s$it, that doesn't make me some sort of awful person.
If you expect to live in the US and never hear any swearing, I suggest you move to a quiet, small 100% religious town (and good luck, it happens there too), stop watching any movies/tv, stop reading books, stop playing video games, stop talking to people, and become a hermit.

Then I suppose you'll stop encountering all that "white trash."
There is nothing wrong with a little bad language here and there kaonevar.. Even I will swear here and there. It's one thing to use some bad language and its another thing to use bad language every other word and talk about inappropriate subjects in front of kids and other people without any sensibility to the people around you. If you want to talk about how high you got off of ecstasy the night before, maybe you can hold off while there are kids around you, etc. Some people just have no dignity. They are just trashy people who run their mouth and talk crap.

I've seen this done by various types of people who have a various amount of appearances. So, I won't just pin it on tatted/pierced up people. However, I just noticed that there was a trashy element of people in Capitol Hill, just as noticed in some of these smaller redneck or blue collar towns. However, it seems these smaller, low-income towns get all the bad rap and attention for having trashy people. People don't realize how much low-class people live in the so-called most liberal and progressive cities in this country.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 19,789 times
Quote:
Here is Seattle's map
I think you probably made the right choice. Seattle is a little, we'll call it "cold." It's a relatively judgmental, closed-off area and no one quite has the reason pinned down. Even relatively introverted people comment on how closed off the area seems to be, regardless of where they came from. It's kind of depressing, actually. It should be a really interesting area, but the people are just damn afraid of having fun unless it's at a prescheduled, facebook-invite event, or a very "underground" (invite) club full of people who purposely won't talk to you when you meet them in public, even if you have tons in common. No, I don't have a chip on my shoulder. No, I'm not thrilled about moving soon.

It seems like a really good place to live if you are married, just had a kid, and you OR your spouse work at one of the major companies in the area. That or you're *just* hip enough to be king or queen of the hipsters. Too hip and they'll be insecure and won't talk to you and/or hate you instinctively.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:29 PM

People in Seattle are very anti-social and tend to have problems socializing... They tend to form friends in cliques and only open themselves to a specific group of people they feel connected with. Anybody who is not part of the approved group is deemed an outsider and a threat.

It takes a lot of time to work your way into the safety net of the guarded Seattlite. A lot of it is that people in the city have an elevated view of themselves and feel they have to keep up a certain image of intellectualism and sophistication, when in fact they are just some Joe like the rest and are not really as high and noble as they perceive themselves. As a matter of fact, many of these people cannot cope without intoxicating themselves and having the constant approval of their group of friends who dictate their every activity and thought.

However, I found there are some of the old blue collar type of places in Seattle where the uppity and snobby vibe doesn't exist. Go to a divey kind of bar in an outer neighborhood on a weekday , sit down and BS with the locals and you will find a more humble and less pretentious group of people. I really like the Greenwood area, for example. Even though Seattle is full of a lot of pretentious and high minded people, there are pockets where you will meet your average working-class Joes who don't have anything to prove and can just engage in friendly chat.

Any group of people who acts like they are too sophisticated or hip to associate with you generally are weak and fearful people who need their little clique as an ego boost to their own lack of ingenuity and social awkwardness. People in Seattle are socially awkward in general. The Scandinavian culture I think produces a very insecure , guarded and introverted type of people. However, it also has made Seattle a bit more formal and polite as well.. Seattlites will not scream at you, freak out or get emotional like you may encounter in other parts of the country or world. A Seattle person is mild-manner, although the passive aggressiveness you may encounter will be mind-numbing to the more extrovert and open types of people. I've gotten use to the passive aggressiveness and take it with stride. I've even learn how to be passive aggressive back as retaliation which seems like an effective weapon against other Seattle people's passive aggressiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area