Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:28 AM

73 posts, read 119,221 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Dallas to Seattle either in late September or October sometime. Moving a one bedroom apartment and possibly my car. My new job is applying for a relocation incentive for me that I will probably get, somewhere in the range of $2500-4500.i have to make my own moving arrangements, and then this amount will be included on my first paycheck.

What long distance, cross country moving companies do you recommend or recommend avoiding? Do you think the relocation incentive would cover a long distance move for a 1 bedroom and a car? Also if u don't find an apartment right away, I might need to have my belongings stored for a few days or so. I put in some info on a couple of websites to get quotes, and my inbox just explored with at least a dozen different companies. Only one of them offered a ballpark quote in the actual email, which was $1100 which seems low.

Any advice about using a cross-country moving company is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 AM

70 posts, read 111,465 times
what is your job and how much are you getting paid

Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM

Are my answers to those questions relevant to adviceabout moving ccompany recommendations? I've already mentioned that my job will probably be providing me with $2500-4500 for relocation expenses, so I'd hope that can cover my moving costs.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 AM

338 posts, read 847,787 times
When we moved from Dallas to Seattle 1.5 years ago, Amazon spent about $25K alone on relocating us, our stuff, and our kitties to Seattle. I seriously doubt you're going to find ANY company who will do a nearly 3000 mile relocation for under $10K.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:48 AM

338 posts, read 847,787 times
The way around it would be to load up a uhaul yourself and drive it. And that will probably completely exhaust your relocation budget.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Wow, based on what I've seen online, I'm shocked that a cross-country move would cost nearly 25k. Course, it depends on the amount of things and people you're moving. I.e. moving a 1 bedroom apartment and 1 person and 1 cat will be less expensive than moving a 3-4 bedroom home and several individuals. Also, I can see private companies like Amazon spending more money on their employees. You'd hope that would mean better quality, but Microsoft moved my friends from Pittsburgh to Seattle area and broke some of their china or crystal and they were pretty unhappy about it.

If anyone has experience hiring cross country movers or moving yourself (i.e. using Uhaul or Penske), then I would like to hear from your experiences!

Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
When we came to Seattle we sold our home and moved our furniture and cars via U-Haul. It wasn't difficult, maybe even fun because we were excited. We have since had three cross country corporate moves and those were expensive because they often transport your cars, pack, move and deliver your furniture and provide temporary housing.

Microsoft did not move your friend's furniture but your friends could have filed a claim with the actual mover.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 PM

They probably did file a claim. Just remember them complaining about that. I've heard it advised to pack valuables yourself when using movers. And I know they're offer insurance.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:22 PM

16 posts, read 71,658 times
Make sure to clarify with the moving company that if you pack your own things that it will still be covered by the movers insurance. When I moved from Dallas it was required for the movers to pack something if I wanted to be covered by incidental damage.

I moved a 1 bedroom apartment and it came out to about 9,800$ - granted I didn't have that much stuff at all, just desk/computer/tv/couch/bed/dresser/clothes/table/chairs. I will have to look up name of the company I used.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Don't use anyone who contracts with Allied for the unloading. Allied in Seattle employs ex-cons, and they can be weird, and careless with your stuff. It's not unusual for one of them to show up with alcohol on their breath. The interstate movers contract with local companies, so ask the companies you call who they use in Seattle for local labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area