Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulseattlehomes View Post
I supplement B12 all year long but take it sublingually so that it absorbs better. It made a tremendous difference in my energy level. Since living in Seattle, I have always supplemented D3 starting in late September all the way through June and get my D levels checked, via blood work, a couple of times a year. I tend toward malabsorption of D so actually mega dose once a week rather than taking it every day...50,000 to 75,000 depending on how I am feeling...that seems to keep my D levels in the upper 40's but I would like it to be more in the mid to high 60's which I have read is the optimum for health!

And endorphins...can't get enough of those babies! Ironically, even though Seattle is billed as a very active city, I am not as active here as I am back east so a treadmill in the house has done wonders for me.

I highly recommend getting a full blood panel done so that you can really see what is going on and if there are any other underlying nutritional deficiencies that need to be addressed that could be causing fatigue. Iron deficiency comes to mind...I wish you good health!
Beautiful Seattle Homes, if your joints start going out on you from the repetitive stress of the mill, consider getting a jump rope that works more muscles in your body and puts less strain on joints, yet gives you quite a superior cardio workout. I'm not saying hitting the treadmill is bad, but every day running on it took its toll on my body in the past. I don't use the treadmill anymore.

I have built my own home gym as I hate working out in gyms. I'm on a very intense combat fitness style workout program.. However, the jump rope is my ultimate cardio machine. Perhaps one of the most essential tools in my arsenal. Indeed, a jump rope alone can alleviate many of the ill problems people are having.\

The sub-lingual Vitamin B12 is a good idea. I take a Vitamin B12 spray that is fairly similar in absorption. Vitamin B12 pills are useless, as your stomach acid will damage the nutrient before it can probably absorb into your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 05:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Here's an excellent article from NWRunner magazine on Vitamin D. I tend to be a vitamin skeptic. I do long distance running so I've done some reading about it. But this article (written by an MD) persuaded me that Vitamin D supplements are a good idea.
Vitamin D, The Vital Vitamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson, MD
The purpose of this article is to convince you that supplementing your diet with vit D is essential from the day you’re born till the day you die.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,480 times
Well, I'm not going to take 5+ different supplements a day that's stupid. I currently take a women's multi vitamin and a calcium supplement (both from the Kind Organics brand from Whole Foods...organic and very expensive, although I don't know if that matters). Together, these give me 2000IU of Vitamin D a day plus the calcium to help absorb it. I don't want to have to go buy B12 supplements AND Omega-3 supplements AND Vitamin K supplements in addition. That's just too much. I do eat mostly green vegetables, low sugar fruits, and lean meats and I sprinkle flax and chia seeds on almost all of it so I'm hoping my diet takes care of the rest.

As for working out, I HATE running of any kind. On a treadmill or outside. I'm sure as hell not going to go running outside once the clammy winter hits. I do enjoy jump roping and lately I've picked up on jump roping for about 5-10 minutes half an hour after meals each day, hoping to increase that. I mean, it's enough to make me sweat and get my heart rate going, so I'm assuming that takes care of the cardio needed.

With the light bulbs, I bought full spectrum light bulbs from Home Depot that have a light bluish cast. I honestly don't think they helped at all with the depression this past winter.

But yeah, I need to get aorund to the bloodwork. I don't have health insurance, so I am trying to find a center that does it for cheap. Thanks for all your input, folks. Looks like vitamin d is the best route to go.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
Aside from vitamin D, there is more to the puzzle. When it's dark the majority of the time in the winter, your circadian rhythm can get thrown off... Happy lamps alone did not help me much. Here is what did: I use a bunch of good blue LED light bulbs along with a quality white LED lightbulb (white light) at the same time, and in very close proximity to each other. The bright white light combines with harsh blue lights to make it easier on the eyes and it does a pretty good job of mimicking the natural light that you see on the sunny days. It works for melatonin suppression. Use immediately when you wake up in the morning.

Blue Light may be better than coffee for boosting brain power: Blue Light May Be Better Than Coffee for Boosting Brain Power

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. When the sky is blue (whether the sun is out or not), I have a lot more energy and better mood. It also explains why coffee is such a big thing in Seattle (where the sky is usually grey, plus the high latitude).

Without going on a tangent, there's other interesting effects provided by blue light: Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. publishers | Leading innovation and advancement in science, technology and medicine

Here's a supplement that helped me a lot along with Vit D3 and the lighting tricks: Rhodiola Rosea
That sounds like the same thing as full spectrum light bulbs to me. The ones I got also give off a bluish cast.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 PM

314 posts, read 459,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
This past winter was particularly brutal for me. I was constantly fatigued and very depressed, with no motivation to do anything at all. At the time, I had just assumed that it was all due to stress from work or that I was just getting older and weaker. Happy lamps didn't work and painting my apartment a bright color didn't work. This summer, I started taking Vitamin D3 supplements and started noticing higher energy levels and a better mood. However, I am not sure if this is a result of the Vitamin D or if it's the sun that we're getting right now. It will stand the test of time when winter hits, if I'm still here in Seattle. But I am wondering if those of you who took Vitamin D supplements in the winter feel like it actually made a difference in your mood? I read an article that most Americans lack Vitamin D, and I'm sure that's especially true for Seattlites.
Assuming you are getting outside this time of year, you don't really need the supplements. All the body needs is about 20 minutes of direct sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM in order to get enough Vitamin D. Winter is when you need the supplements, as we often don't even get that in Puget Sound area. (the partially cloudy, filtered sun we get in winter doesn't count - has to be direct)

Have you considering bicycle riding? Less stress on the joints, and its not nearly as boring as running. You get to go farther in same amount of time and see more things. You can also do it mostly year round. The deepest part of winter can be a bit of pain since you need to bundle up, but most parts of year - even the Seattle drizzle - its quite doable. My wife just started taking up biking and its done wonders for her S.A.D.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
Assuming you are getting outside this time of year, you don't really need the supplements. All the body needs is about 20 minutes of direct sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM in order to get enough Vitamin D. Winter is when you need the supplements, as we often don't even get that in Puget Sound area. (the partially cloudy, filtered sun we get in winter doesn't count - has to be direct)

Have you considering bicycle riding? Less stress on the joints, and its not nearly as boring as running. You get to go farther in same amount of time and see more things. You can also do it mostly year round. The deepest part of winter can be a bit of pain since you need to bundle up, but most parts of year - even the Seattle drizzle - its quite doable. My wife just started taking up biking and its done wonders for her S.A.D.
It is a myth that running causes 'stress on the joints.'
Long May You Run | Running Times

And tolerance of boredom is one of the keys to success in life. In any case I don't see how bicycling is 'not nearly as boring as running.' Bicycling causes stress to the genital region.
A Delicate Matter: Cycling and Genital Problems -

Running shoes are cheaper than a bicycle. Try it, you will like it.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Well, I'm not going to take 5+ different supplements a day that's stupid. I currently take a women's multi vitamin and a calcium supplement (both from the Kind Organics brand from Whole Foods...organic and very expensive, although I don't know if that matters). Together, these give me 2000IU of Vitamin D a day plus the calcium to help absorb it. I don't want to have to go buy B12 supplements AND Omega-3 supplements AND Vitamin K supplements in addition. That's just too much. I do eat mostly green vegetables, low sugar fruits, and lean meats and I sprinkle flax and chia seeds on almost all of it so I'm hoping my diet takes care of the rest.

As for working out, I HATE running of any kind. On a treadmill or outside. I'm sure as hell not going to go running outside once the clammy winter hits. I do enjoy jump roping and lately I've picked up on jump roping for about 5-10 minutes half an hour after meals each day, hoping to increase that. I mean, it's enough to make me sweat and get my heart rate going, so I'm assuming that takes care of the cardio needed.

With the light bulbs, I bought full spectrum light bulbs from Home Depot that have a light bluish cast. I honestly don't think they helped at all with the depression this past winter.

But yeah, I need to get aorund to the bloodwork. I don't have health insurance, so I am trying to find a center that does it for cheap. Thanks for all your input, folks. Looks like vitamin d is the best route to go.
If you enjoy wasting money, by no means do any research about what you put into your body and just take that magical multi-vitamin. Many Americans just want a quick fix to health and I will tell you, your body is a complex eco-system that needs to be studied. There is no magic pill or supplement.

Human physiology is a bit more complex, Ms. Skidamarink, than you may realize.

I can show you many in-depth health articles that explain why just supplementing with Vitamin D alone can be both not effective and even possibly dangerous. Also, beware of the source of Vitamin D you take, there is plenty of crap Vitamin D supplements.

The full spectrum bulb thing is not effective unless you have like 500W of it shining on your naked body.. If you have a huge number of full-spectrum bulbs, that match the spectrum of sunlight, and are sitting for 30 minutes in a bikini and having it shine all over your skin then you may be able to synthesize the Vitamin D from the light. SAFE tanning beds are another option. The key word there, "SAFE".. Never overdo tanning beds and go very gradually in them.. Essentially, use a tanning bed to get a little bit bronzed, never dark tanned... There are tanning beds with special lighting that replicates sunlight that can also help you naturally produce Vitamin D in your body through the proper balance of UVB light. However, the UVA rays are destructive to your body and you need a proper amount of UVB to balance out the UVA, which is what damages your skin and also causes cancer.

http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/tanni...g-systems.aspx

Also, get your Calcium levels checked and make sure your calcium intake is proper. If you are lacking in calcium the Vitamin D will also be inhibited as it needs Calcium and Vitamin K for proper uptake and metabolism into your body.

Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin K2 are all an important compound of supplements and each should be taken in conjunction with the other. You would have to eat like 2lbs of Kale a day to get the proper amount of vitamin K2 you need in your diet.. Sprinkling Chia is good, Flax seeds go rancid easy, only use if fresh and grounded.

Check your Omega 3:6 ratios.. Are you aware of the fat you are consuming in your meals? Most people have way too high Omega 6 blood levels and consume too little Omega 3 in the diet.

Great job on the jump rope!! The best cardio machine available. I know they are expensive, but they are worth it I finish every weight training session with 1500 -2000 reps of speed jump rope. Also, great warm up exercise for any other type of exercise you are doing.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 08-11-2014 at 03:36 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 02:50 PM

731 posts, read 935,707 times
I started suffering from SADS badly about 3-4 years ago. It's basically depression brought on by low serotonin. If you look that up, I had pretty classic symptoms. I started out with a Happy light and vit D, plus a multivitamin. That wasn't doing enough. Now I also take a B complex and Omega 3's (I've dropped the D for the summer) and I finally started running again, thanks to all of this motivating sunshine we've had. I'm doing the best I've done in years, but I have to say, this is also the best weather we've had in years, so it's hard to know if it's all helping or just some of it.

I will say that the effects of the Vitamin B seemed to happen right away. Maybe it was a placebo, but whatever works!. What I need the most is something to give me energy and stop the negative thoughts so that I have the motivation to do other things, which will also help me (running, for instance).

It feels so good to finally have a bit of energy and a clear head again! Don't stop until you find the combination that works.

Best of luck!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM

458 posts, read 958,034 times
RustinginSeattle...this has been the most amazing summer I can ever remember having! I am loving it! So glad it has helped shift things for you and hope you have a plan for the upcoming winter!

I totally agree with you about B Vitamins...it was like a switch literally. Once I started taking it I had an almost instantaneous upsurge in energy and if I forget to take it I can feel the crash! So thankful to my ND who told me to take it!

Keep keeping healthy! You sound like you have control over your health and well being which is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: