Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,262 times

Advertisements

I am an American male of East Indian heritage (think Kumar from Harold and Kumar), born and raised in Texas but have been in Florida for the last 5 years of my life. Currently I am in Northern Florida and my girlfriend is an American woman of Swedish and French heritage (she facially resembled Hayden Panetierre for some reason and gets told that is her celeb lookalike a lot). The one thing I have discovered about North Florida is that people here are not very tolerant of interracial relationships at all.

Often we have had racial slurs thrown in our direction and had random people say to her "you shouldn't be with him, arabs are dangerous people". It gets even worse, just a few weeks ago when we were shopping together some young male who was in a bad mood started going off on a rant about how foreigners are taking over America. Then when he saw us he looked at my girlfriend and called her a "traitor to the American Flag". Then there was the time I was actually attacked by a few guys (they seemed like rednecks) who threatened me into leaving my girlfriend. One guy said if I ever get her pregnant he is going to make sure the baby is dead before it ever comes out. In a nutshell, this place is so messed up!

I have practically had it with this state and so has my girlfriend, doing some research I found that it is actually quite common to see asian and indian men with white girlfriends and wives in Seattle, is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,232,602 times
Interracial dating is accepted and fairly common in the Seattle area.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,483,370 times
I am in an interracial marriage and have never experienced any difficulty in the Seattle area.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,232,602 times
Of the 12 houses on my block, 4 are occupied by white couples , 2 are black, one is Asian(Chinese), two are mixed black-white, one is mixed black-Asian(Vietnamese), one is mixed white -Asian(Indian), one is mixed Arabic and white. This is south, on the Renton border, and Seattle proper is whiter. I don't think anybody blinks an eye at interracial dating or marriage around here.

Last edited by Ira500; 08-08-2014 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 06:39 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,314,878 times
Not an issue with this white/east asian couple!

In fact, at our recent baby classes, I saw more interracial couples than not. Speaks to the diversity of this area.

Actually, people would find the male Indian / white female combination not so rare here. I'd venture to say you'll have more insults thrown at you from other Indian people. Men saying you're diluting your blood or they're jealous, women saying she's a **** and why not have Indian children ... I've heard all of these, and is the predominant reason why Indians stick with Indians around here.

But you'll hear nothing from white people. Maybe if you get an odd Tea bagger or if you live sufficiently far east across the Cascades or in the sticks, like Duvall, or Enumclaw.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:30 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,483,370 times
Quote:
I'd venture to say you'll have more insults thrown at you from other Indian people.
I was also wondering about that- I realize in my apartment complex, white is the minority, and the population is very heavy on East Indian, most of whom speak a language other than English, and I don't see interracial couples amongst them (or at least I haven't yet).

I live on the east side.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 PM

510 posts, read 605,809 times
According to wikipedia, Seattle has the highest percentage of mixed-race people of any large metro in the US, so it would seem that interracial couples are quite numerous.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:09 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,006,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
According to wikipedia, Seattle has the highest percentage of mixed-race people of any large metro in the US, so it would seem that interracial couples are quite numerous.
ehhhhh... I'm not going to touch that one as I suspect there's a subtle demographic trend that might invalidate that conclusion.

OP - I doubt it will be much of an issue.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,262 times
Hmm interesting, I heard somewhere that it is common to see east asian or indian men with white women in seattle.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,612,435 times
I'm also in a mixed marriage (Mexican husband) and yes, interracial/ethnic coupling is awesomely common here. Yet certain types prevail. I used to see a lot more black/white couples when I lived in Michigan, I saw a lot more white/hispanic couples when I lived in Texas. Out here I see a gazillion Asian female/white male combinations. Yes, you do see all sorts, but that is the most common. Interestingly for having such a large Indian demographic (especially in my neighborhood -all your high tech employees) it's pretty unusual to see an Indian with someone outside his racial/ethnic group. Most of the Indians I know and in my age cohort (middle aged) are immigrants and still have strong ties and identities with their Indian heritage. As with any group, I expect more interracial dating in the first, and more so even, in second generation, but that is still many decades from now. Which I have to say, kinda sucks... I've always found Indian males to be highly attractive and "exotic". But so are the Mexicans

I'm really sorry for what you've experienced in Florida. You would find Seattle to be much more welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area