Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:10 PM

314 posts, read 459,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry, I don't live in SF, so I wouldn't know. The question wasn't addressed to you, note. But you seem to move in similar circles, so why don't you enlighten us?
Whoops. That was supposed to be a reply to the nutbar upthread (BlackHawk), not you.

As for Marina bros - its a reference to the bro-types that when they move to SF, typically live in or socialize in the Marina district in SF - a trend which has only gotten even more obnoxious as various B-school grad / engineering brogrammer types have flocked to SF in search of get rich quick schemes via hare-brained "social" web startups.

So much so that the SF Chronicle ran an article last year on how the lovely meadow at Fort Mason has been overrun with bros to the point it resembles a Frat Row scene at this point.

New S.F. neighborhood like a campus fraternity row - SFGate

And the Rise of the Brogrammer - In tech, some bemoan the rise of 'brogrammer' culture - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
Whoops. That was supposed to be a reply to the nutbar upthread (BlackHawk), not you.

As for Marina bros - its a reference to the bro-types that when they move to SF, typically live in or socialize in the Marina district in SF - a trend which has only gotten even more obnoxious as various B-school grad / engineering brogrammer types have flocked to SF in search of get rich quick schemes via hare-brained "social" web startups.

So much so that the SF Chronicle ran an article last year on how the lovely meadow at Fort Mason has been overrun with bros to the point it resembles a Frat Row scene at this point.

New S.F. neighborhood like a campus fraternity row - SFGate

And the Rise of the Brogrammer - In tech, some bemoan the rise of 'brogrammer' culture - CNN.com
ugh. I get it now. I see I'm not missing anything by not living in or around SF. Thx for explaining.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
ugh. I get it now. I see I'm not missing anything by not living in or around SF. Thx for explaining.
Fortunately, they tend to travel/live in herds, so can be easily avoided. When I lived in SF, we referred to the Marina as a "bro" & Marbie (Marina barbies) containment zone.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
I've lived in this town for 30 years and make no mistake, dating in this town has always been tough and it's getting worse.

But let's not lose track of the fact that there are 3.5 million people in the area. I haven't posted here in a long time but I remember Ruth4Truth telling guys to grow some and start talking to women!

My wife and I were watching Crazy Silly Love over the weekend on tv and the playboy character played by Ryan Gosling is absolutely correct. So many guys have lost track of their manhood. If you see something you like, go out and get it!!!!! See a lady that you fancy? Go up and talk to her!!!!

Everywhere I look in Seattle, I witness these soft, femmy, passive aggressive nerd boys running around looking at their smartphones. If I were a single lady, would I be attracted to them? No, not really.

Trust me, I'm old school, conservative, traditional type of guy. Would my approach **** off some women? Sure but who cares? There is no crime to politely and confidently approaching women. If she's not interested or she's taken, on to the next one!!! You are in control of your love life. This is Seattle, you might have to work 5x as hard to find a date/gf/wife. Are you up for the challenge? You have two choices, go out and attack it or sit back and whine like all the other girly boys.

At the risk of sounding like an a-hole, Seattle women do have the luxury of dating the upper 30% of guys. But come on! Look around at your competition these days. I'm sorry if I offend guys but most guys are unstylish, blubbery, soft, femmy, nerdly dudes. There may be a lot of guys walking around but it shouldn't be that tough to get up into the upper 30%. You might have to join the gym, take a trip to Nordstrom, gain some confidence overnight to reach your goal but unless you try, you can't sit around and complain.

Seattle women usually do not come to you...it's not their style. Guess what? It's all up to you! Challenging? Maybe. Impossible? Nope!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I've lived in this town for 30 years and make no mistake, dating in this town has always been tough and it's getting worse.

But let's not lose track of the fact that there are 3.5 million people in the area. I haven't posted here in a long time but I remember Ruth4Truth telling guys to grow some and start talking to women!

My wife and I were watching Crazy Silly Love over the weekend on tv and the playboy character played by Ryan Gosling is absolutely correct. So many guys have lost track of their manhood. If you see something you like, go out and get it!!!!! See a lady that you fancy? Go up and talk to her!!!!
Bless you!

But part of the problem is that even some of the top 30% are too shy! Or they're able to say hello, and start a conversation, but they can't close the deal, they never ask for a number, even if they try approaching a couple of times.

Besides, a lot of women aren't even looking for the top 30%. There are plenty of women who'd be happy with a good guy in a decent career. Women's standards aren't impossibly high. Maybe it's the men's standards that are? Maybe the men all want hot babes?

Old 08-25-2014, 03:56 PM

366 posts, read 595,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
The "brogrammer" phenomenon doesn't really exist. It was an inside joke among programmers that somehow got picked up and spun into an outrage du jour by the usual suspects (Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, Gawker network, etc.)

Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 PM

366 posts, read 595,837 times
Quote:
Yes, I always get my dating advice from the TV. Because it's not like TV ever depicts relationships in misleading or exaggerated ways. Nope, it's always 100% authentic there.

Quote:
Seattle women usually do not come to you...it's not their style. Guess what? It's all up to you! Challenging? Maybe. Impossible? Nope!
When women don't approach men, it's OK because it's not their style, but when men don't approach women they are emasculated wimps. I guess "equality" means "get rid of double standards, except for all the ones that I find convenient"

Last edited by dubfan; 08-25-2014 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 PM

11 posts, read 19,782 times
It's absolutely fascinating that in a bastion of progressivism, where many pride themselves on eschewing traditional gender values and roles, and sometimes even going so far as to discourage them, women are still afraid of approaching men. Maybe instead of just positioning themselves in the general vicinity of a man they fancy, they should initiate contact if they're interested, rather than complain that the man they couldn't even keep eye contact with, or say hi to, didn't come up and get a conversation started with them. There are about seven single women in the entire metropolitan area, so it should come as no surprise that men slow their approaches.

Why is the entire onus on men? If women want it, in 2014, they can go get it. That's the attitude everywhere else, keep it consistent.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namenamecheck12 View Post
It's absolutely fascinating that in a bastion of progressivism, where many pride themselves on eschewing traditional gender values and roles, and sometimes even going so far as to discourage them, women are still afraid of approaching men. Maybe instead of just positioning themselves in the general vicinity of a man they fancy, they should initiate contact if they're interested, rather than complain that the man they couldn't even keep eye contact with, or say hi to, didn't come up and get a conversation started with them. There are about seven single women in the entire metropolitan area, so it should come as no surprise that men slow their approaches.

Why is the entire onus on men? If women want it, in 2014, they can go get it. That's the attitude everywhere else, keep it consistent.
It isn't. Being friendly and chatting with men doesn't help. But outside of Seattle, it's very different. I don't know why that is.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
The "brogrammer" phenomenon doesn't really exist. It was an inside joke among programmers that somehow got picked up and spun into an outrage du jour by the usual suspects (Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, Gawker network, etc.)
There are a number of women in the tech industry that would disagree with you.

Also, I until recently lived in SF, and can personally attest to the change in the type of "techies" moving into SF. The B-school types are a lot more prevalent in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area