Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times

Advertisements

The whole Northwest in general is terrible if you're single, especially a single male. People here are cold, snobby and if they are not, chances are they are taken.

The only people the Northwest is good for are gay people as far as dating goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCole84 View Post
Yeah I got the title from a disney movie "Dumbo" but it fits. Rejection hurts. And some men can't repeatedly move on "to the next one" when they put a lot of effort in making an exceptional first impression. After years of pursuing, at the age of 30, I am burned out. And we're trying to capture the attention of some of the most superficial beings on the planet: The American Woman. Based on my online experiences, she often has height, ethnic, and income "preferences" which in reality are requirements. How can I be completely in control of experiencing romance when it requires another person? I can't control someone. It comes down to behaving like a gentleman and hoping for the best and in Seattle a man needs a lot of it - hope.

A Seattle experience if you care to know - I saw a lady with a solar backpack waiting at a bus stop. I'm eco-conscious as well so I was naturally interested in speaking with her. After asking about her backpack she immediately became guarded. I think she thought I was going to steal it - I'm black and black men at bus stops is a red flag in Seattle for some like her. I knew at that moment I lost. I tried a little longer before she told me she didn't want to miss her bus and that was the end.
Nearly everyone's superficial on online dating sites.

Have you noticed that some of the bus drivers can be tense around Black passengers? Sorry, pet peeve of mine. The Metro staff really needs diversity training.

OK, back to your regularly-scheduled bickering.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:13 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
There are a number of women in the tech industry that would disagree with you.

Also, I until recently lived in SF, and can personally attest to the change in the type of "techies" moving into SF. The B-school types are a lot more prevalent in the last few years.
I haven't run into a lot of brogrammers, unless you count loud IT hipsters as bros but I don't. It would certainly add more character to Seattle's social scene, but would inevitably be annoying. If I see "bro-like" behavior in Seattle, I just assume they're college kids.

I ended up at the Safeway in the Marina District at night to shop for food once, without knowing about it's reputation. THAT was the most interesting supermarket I've ever been to. lol (inside humor that only someone familiar with SF would know)

Old 08-26-2014, 11:45 AM

314 posts, read 459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I haven't run into a lot of brogrammers, unless you count loud IT hipsters as bros but I don't. It would certainly add more character to Seattle's social scene, but would inevitably be annoying. If I see "bro-like" behavior in Seattle, I just assume they're college kids.

I ended up at the Safeway in the Marina District at night to shop for food once, without knowing about it's reputation. THAT was the most interesting supermarket I've ever been to. lol (inside humor that only someone familiar with SF would know)
My impression since moving up here is that the Seattle tech scene is way different. Its more classic engineering dorks. I think it comes from that most of the tech jobs up here are at long established companies - MSFT & Amazon obviously, as well as some smaller companies like Expedia, Zillow, and Redfin. Along with super old school Boeing.

Bay Area is way way way more get-rich-quick, start-up focused - Twitter, AirBnB, Uber, Pinterest, Square, TaskRabbit, Yelp, Dropbox, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc. In addition to the big players like Facebook, Google, eBay, Apple, HP, Salesforce, Oracle, Intel, Adobe, Cisco etc.

Just so much money sloshing around everywhere - and tons of folks racing there for the new Gold Rush.

And yes, the Marina Safeway is a well known meat-market (for the straights mainly). The Safeway at Market/Church is the meat market for teh gays.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Whoops. That was supposed to be a reply to the nutbar upthread (BlackHawk), not you.

As for Marina bros - its a reference to the bro-types that when they move to SF, typically live in or socialize in the Marina district in SF - a trend which has only gotten even more obnoxious as various B-school grad / engineering brogrammer types have flocked to SF in search of get rich quick schemes via hare-brained "social" web startups.

So much so that the SF Chronicle ran an article last year on how the lovely meadow at Fort Mason has been overrun with bros to the point it resembles a Frat Row scene at this point.

New S.F. neighborhood like a campus fraternity row - SFGate

And the Rise of the Brogrammer - In tech, some bemoan the rise of 'brogrammer' culture - CNN.com
Those aren't bros. Those are tech dorks and Ivy League yuppsters. Not one backwards baseball cap or popped collar did I see.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Quote:
My impression since moving up here is that the Seattle tech scene is way different. Its more classic engineering dorks. I think it comes from that most of the tech jobs up here are at long established companies - MSFT & Amazon obviously, as well as some smaller companies like Expedia, Zillow, and Redfin. Along with super old school Boeing.

Bay Area is way way way more get-rich-quick, start-up focused - Twitter, AirBnB, Uber, Pinterest, Square, TaskRabbit, Yelp, Dropbox, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc. In addition to the big players like Facebook, Google, eBay, Apple, HP, Salesforce, Oracle, Intel, Adobe, Cisco etc.

Just so much money sloshing around everywhere - and tons of folks racing there for the new Gold Rush.

And yes, the Marina Safeway is a well known meat-market (for the straights mainly). The Safeway at Market/Church is the meat market for teh gays.
I don't know if it's the type of companies that affect the level of bro-osity. Rather, I think it's just the culture that's always been in CA. SF still has stronger influence from SoCal, so guys in SF feel more pressure to live up to that even if it just ends up being douchey. Nerds in Seattle embrace their nerdiness, or they just become a hipster. Women here don't like bros.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Every man has his audience. If you're a bro or hipster or whatever just own it with confidence. I used to rock the backwards Yankees cap on Capitol Hill and still found the occasional chick to hit it off with.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:59 PM

337 posts, read 494,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Polymorphist:
Let me see if I understand this: a bunch of people go to an event they don't enjoy but felt like they belonged together because it was the 'in' thing to be doing.
Nope, you didn't understand what I said (big surprise there). Let me break this down for you so that you might be able to understand a bit better -

I enjoy professional lacrosse. Nobody else I know likes the sport.

So again, a bit slower now - nobody I know likes watching professional lacrosse. That means nobody in my social circle and even extended to co-workers, etc.

I went and a lot of pro lacrosse games when we had a team in Everett. Nobody ever gave me the freeze, cold-shoulder or ignored me because I liked, enjoyed and attended pro lacrosse games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area