Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
I love you Blackhawk, you are my hero! Of course I have always loved martyrs willing to bring the truth forward no matter the cost. Keep the good fight going and disturb the comfortable. I find it very odd that you are accused of having nothing better to do than complain when the same people making those arguments clearly frequent this forum daily. The saddest story is from those not willing to discuss the painful truth of the social atmosphere of the Pacific Northwest. The poll I recently posted regarding the Seattle freeze can be found here and it clearly shows that it exists as well as the information you have provided. //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...real-myth.html
Thanks for the good laugh, BA - "Blackhawk the martyr": good one!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:26 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Thanks for the good laugh, BA - "Blackhawk the martyr": good one!!!
Glad to be back after my little timeout

Old 08-15-2014, 05:10 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Quote:
Glad to be back after my little timeout
I suppose this forum would be boring without our constant wars.

Which side do you guys want to be: Axis Powers or the Allies?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:25 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I suppose this forum would be boring without our constant wars.

Which side do you guys want to be: Axis Powers or the Allies?
I will be Africa.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:54 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Quote:
I will be Africa.
Fantastic, I'll be Axis. Let me go get my Dr. Strangelove glove...

Old 08-15-2014, 05:54 PM

440 posts, read 517,113 times
Default Singles Easier to Meet in Seattle

I found that people in Seattle are much easier to meet than in several other large cities that I have lived in such as Miami because so many people in Seattle go to smaller restaurants, coffee shops and other such places where it's easier to strike up a conversation with the person sitting or standing next to you and find out that they actually live in Seattle instead of in places like Miami where many of the people you might try to start a conversation with turn out to be tourists or don't speak English or travel in large packs of their friends who came in from some far away suburb to act like urbanites.
If you don't like the looks or attitude of people that are out and about in one neighborhood of Seattle, then try a different neighborhood to hang out in to see if you meet more people to your liking. Seattle attracts certain sorts of people who live in certain neighborhoods because birds of a feather do flock together.
You really don't have the option of hopping neighborhoods in a lot of the cities in the U.S. because of the car culture where everyone drives everywhere because everything is so spread out while Seattle is a much more compact place with easier access to public transportation that can take you from neighborhood to neighborhood, from one scene to another.
If you're trying to meet people in Seattle on the Internet, then consider the source because it's really easy for people to put up photos of themselves when they were thinner or younger and they also put up altered photos. There are a lot of people who play the Internet dating game because they're not secure enough to strike up a conversation with a stranger and that's the type of people they can expect to meet also with usually less than stellar consequences.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:35 PM

555 posts, read 802,847 times
Bad Apples:
Notice too how they always attack the messenger, but never the actual message. And then smear the messengers too, as 'haters'.

Maybe the rest of the United States would see Seattle as great social scene if it actually was one. On other cities' threads, people complain about various problems and the others will admit them and offer suggestions on how to deal with it. But here it's: 'fit in, or don't let the door hit you on the way out' presumably because you're not good enough to be a part of 'America's Greatest City'.

P.S. There's no truth to the suggestion that I secretly live in Portland. Anyone who doesn't like living in Seattle is certainly not going to live in a city that's only a bad copy of Seattle!

Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaukne View Post
Its worth noting that many of the worst ranked on the list are also, unsurprisingly, techhubs (seattle san diego, SF).
Actually, it's more worth noting that many of the worst ranked on the list are places that have high paying jobs for those who are so educated to take advantage of them. Those that are best ranked are places that 'meh' paying jobs are available regardless of education.

In other words if you're a go getter and hard worker who just focuses on the bigger picture of life and you go after the brass ring, relationships aren't going to come very easily. If you just kind of cruise through life and just want to have fun and don't care about making the most money, focus on Colorado Springs and other such cities.

Although I am curious why there's such a wide difference between Sacramento and San Francisco. The only notable difference I can think of is that San Francisco seemed quite liberal compared to Sacramento.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:34 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Actually, it's more worth noting that many of the worst ranked on the list are places that have high paying jobs for those who are so educated to take advantage of them. Those that are best ranked are places that 'meh' paying jobs are available regardless of education.

In other words if you're a go getter and hard worker who just focuses on the bigger picture of life and you go after the brass ring, relationships aren't going to come very easily. If you just kind of cruise through life and just want to have fun and don't care about making the most money, focus on Colorado Springs and other such cities.

Although I am curious why there's such a wide difference between Sacramento and San Francisco. The only notable difference I can think of is that San Francisco seemed quite liberal compared to Sacramento.
I take the SF and San Jose rankings as relating to the large influx of predominantly male techies. Sac'to doesn't have that gender disparity. SF and SJ are tough for singles in the rental mkt, too; people tend to have to be coupled up to afford a decent apartment or home, unless they share. And living with roomies isn't terribly conducive to dating. So there you go. I'm sure the surrounding areas--Berkeley, Oakland, to name just two, would rank much better.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:10 PM

347 posts, read 669,362 times
I actually find the data interesting. It shows Seattle has a low amount of people who are in a relationship (40th out of 48...the higher the number the more relationships) but it also shows it has a low amount of single people as well (45th out of 48...the higher the number the more singles) and of those singles it shows there are more men (46th out of 48...the higher the number the more women). I remember another article a few months ago saying the exact same thing and thinking "how is it possible to have one of the least amount of couples and one of the least amounts of singles at the same time?" and at the time I remember re-reading the data and noticing that the people they qualify as "single" are actively seeking a relationship, people who weren't actively seeking one weren't counted as single. So, essentially, this data means Seattle actually has one of the highest number of singles in the country but a large amount of people, predominantly females, are not seeking relationships.

However, I'd like to point out that this doesn't mean those women are off the market...it simply means they aren't looking. It doesn't mean if you happen to bump into them while jogging or see them at work that you have no shot...they could be very open to a relationship but just aren't actively trying to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area