Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,507 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a move to the Seattle area late next year, we made our first voyage out in May but spent most of our time in the city proper. We're heading over again in December, this time hoping to focus on the Renton area, where the office he's transferring to is located out of.

Any tips on apartments in the Renton area? Reviews online seem to be pretty sparse. It's just the two of us (both 30), and two cats. I don't care about apartment amenities, I'd really just like a place that's clean, somewhat quiet, and that has a decent amount of trees and greenery around it. I've bookmarked a few of them that seem to fit the bill, one being Woodcliffe Apartments, do any of you have any input on that one? We're going to tour a few complexes in December but it's very hard to get a real feel that way.

Our budget is around $1800, I don't really want to go past that because we're trying to save toward a down payment on a WA home within a year or two, which will cost at least twice what we're selling our current home for. I've looked at a few home rentals, but I figured that would be too difficult for us coming from being homeowners with no recent rental history (and being new to jobs in WA). I really know nothing about the home rental process, but apartments just seemed 'easier' since we're looking for short term.

Also, while my husband is doing a direct transfer, I'm not able to. I work in healthcare, so I'll be applying to the closest hospitals. I've been focusing on two hospitals in particular, one in the Beacon Hill area of Seattle, and one in Bellevue. I know that the modest estimates Google gives me don't accurately account for traffic, so would either of those commutes be too much on a daily basis? I have a 45-minute commute each way to work where we live now, and that's really kind of my limit. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkitts View Post
My husband and I are planning a move to the Seattle area late next year, we made our first voyage out in May but spent most of our time in the city proper. We're heading over again in December, this time hoping to focus on the Renton area, where the office he's transferring to is located out of.

Any tips on apartments in the Renton area? Reviews online seem to be pretty sparse. It's just the two of us (both 30), and two cats. I don't care about apartment amenities, I'd really just like a place that's clean, somewhat quiet, and that has a decent amount of trees and greenery around it. I've bookmarked a few of them that seem to fit the bill, one being Woodcliffe Apartments, do any of you have any input on that one? We're going to tour a few complexes in December but it's very hard to get a real feel that way.

Our budget is around $1800, I don't really want to go past that because we're trying to save toward a down payment on a WA home within a year or two, which will cost at least twice what we're selling our current home for. I've looked at a few home rentals, but I figured that would be too difficult for us coming from being homeowners with no recent rental history (and being new to jobs in WA). I really know nothing about the home rental process, but apartments just seemed 'easier' since we're looking for short term.

Also, while my husband is doing a direct transfer, I'm not able to. I work in healthcare, so I'll be applying to the closest hospitals. I've been focusing on two hospitals in particular, one in the Beacon Hill area of Seattle, and one in Bellevue. I know that the modest estimates Google gives me don't accurately account for traffic, so would either of those commutes be too much on a daily basis? I have a 45-minute commute each way to work where we live now, and that's really kind of my limit. Thanks for any input!
I've seen the Woodcliffe, but don't know anything about it. It's a little out there, and there really isn't any kind of retail or restaurants right close by. I think on a good day, it would take a half hour to the VA hospital on Beacon Hill.If you were closer to downtown Renton, the commute would be shorter, and so would the alternative routes to I-5. Chateau De Ville in downtown Renton is nice. Greenery is nearby. The Cedar River runs right through downtown Renton, and big trees are nearby. Another nicer building is Burnett Station, also downtown. They'll both be somewhat quiet, because downtown Renton is not exactly bustling, but there are places to eat and drink. Closer to Lake Washington, The Reserve, and Southport are nice buildings, but I don't know how much the rent is.
I don't think renting a house is going to be more complicated. It's the same process. They'll want to know your credit history, and that you've paid your mortgage.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:59 PM

318 posts, read 628,977 times
Commuting to Overlake Hospital in Bellevue from Renton would be much preferable to commuting to a downtown Seattle hospital. Depending on the time of day, the commute on I-405 can be stop and go, but there are back-road alternatives. Off-hours, it's a 15 or 20 minute maximum commute to Bellevue, depending on what part of Renton. During peak commute, it shouldn't be more than 45 minutes at worst. To downtown Seattle could take longer than an hour; much longer if there is any kind of accident or complication.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
Commuting to Overlake Hospital in Bellevue from Renton would be much preferable to commuting to a downtown Seattle hospital. Depending on the time of day, the commute on I-405 can be stop and go, but there are back-road alternatives. Off-hours, it's a 15 or 20 minute maximum commute to Bellevue, depending on what part of Renton. During peak commute, it shouldn't be more than 45 minutes at worst. To downtown Seattle could take longer than an hour; much longer if there is any kind of accident or complication.
Actually, there are back roads alternatives to the Beacon Hill location as well. The OP wouldn't have to even use i5, just pretty much stay on MLK the whole way. And during the heaviest commute of all the option... The MLK commute probably would be the easiest of all. I'd say 45 mins is about right.

My friend had a boyfriend that rented an apt in Renton dt, the name of the place escapes me... But I'm remembering Roxie's sign was right there. He liked it just fine except for the high pet rent, he had to give his kitty to his mom. If you're looking for some greenery, stay close to the Cedar River in the Renton DT area.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 08-21-2014 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area