Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:40 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
It's so easy to find negative info on just about anything. You can find exactly what you want to find.

If I want to prove that Harvard stinks:

Harvard University Scam Exposed by Feds

A Harvard Education Isn't As Advertised - US News

Who needs Harvard? Send us your best and brightest - The Globe and Mail

World's Greatest University, World's Worst Teachers | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson

Harvard University probes plagiarism outbreak involving 125 students | Education | theguardian.com

Eminent Harvard Professor Quits Over Plagiarism, University Says - NYTimes.com

2nd highest crime rate!!!! Most Dangerous College Campuses Ranked - The Daily Beast

2nd rape reported on Harvard campus - Metro Desk - Boston.com

Harvard University Police Issue Advisory After Armed Robbery | NECN

Wow, look at my brilliance! Stanford, you're my next target lol.
This is the reason why certain persistent negative posters have degraded the quality of this forum. At this rate, threads might as well be full of comments with nothing more than toilet humor jokes or Hitler rants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
This is the reason why certain persistent negative posters have degraded the quality of this forum. At this rate, threads might as well be full of comments with nothing more than toilet humor jokes or Hitler rants.
Exactly. We all don't agree with the opinions of others. That much is a given. Sometimes our perspectives are vastly different. That said, some posters cross the line and aren't offering a "different perspective" but instead are flat out misleading people. It degrades the usefulness of this site.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I know a guy who graduated from UW and promptly left for Los Angeles, finding a job pretty quickly.
lol, and i know a guy who dropped out of college and went on to become the richest person in the world...

RVD.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:56 PM

305 posts, read 416,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
This thread is hilarious.
Lol I come to the Seattle board just to read threads like these.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:41 PM

555 posts, read 802,847 times
Caraway:
The University District is such a notorious slum that it took a concerted effort to get the City Council to do anything about it. Note from the article that the City didn't even bother to do random inspections of rental houses until less than two years ago:

Seattle taking new steps to stop slum lords - Local - MyNorthwest.com

Unlike most real world-class cities which as the article notes, actually do things like inspect these dumps.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Caraway:
The University District is such a notorious slum that it took a concerted effort to get the City Council to do anything about it. Note from the article that the City didn't even bother to do random inspections of rental houses until less than two years ago:

Unlike most real world-class cities which as the article notes, actually do things like inspect these dumps.
1. You really need to move to the east coast for a while. Your definition of slum needs some adjusting.

2. You linked to a 2 year old article that says the city WILL inspect them. What am I not getting here?

You can find anything you want to find on the Internet:

New law takes aim at Seattle slumlords | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Seattle News and Events | The Reign of Seattle

Local News | Big fines for Roosevelt-area landlord upheld | Seattle Times Newspaper

Sterling Manor tenants win massive repairs from landlords

Well, there was one thing I couldn't find. I can't seem to find any article about the U District being a slum.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
You can find articles online about slumlords in Beverly Hills for crying out loud. Can we please just end this stupid thread?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Caraway:

HAAAAAAAAA .. Notorious Slum... Haaaa!!! Cmon Blackhawk..

South Tacoma is a slum and not even by most AMerican standards, just Pacific Northwest standards.. U District is not a slum, it's a college neighborhood.. It's actually a lot nicer than many urban libearl university college neighborhoods. Heck, I remember living near University of Oregon near 13th St in the 1990s. A friend of mine got shot by a meth addict on that street and survived, thankfully. Anyhow, even the college area around U of O was slummier than U District. The only sketchy part of U District is the Avenue, but soon as you hit Ravenna or make it down to Montlake Terrace or any surrounding area it becomes very wealthy and upscale neighborhoods.

What saddens me is they are going to demolish all the old buildings in the Univ District that had all the cool food places and shops and build more sterile, over-priced and soulless condos. Soon, the U District will be as overpriced and bland as many of the other once -hip and cool Seattle neighborhoods like Ballard and Fremont. It is like all of Seattle is being bought out by a few giant corporations who now run the housing market and all the migrants from California, East Coast and other parts of the country who need nice scenery, less crime and good jobs will flee to Seattle and drive the prices through the roof.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
HAAAAAAAAA .. Notorious Slum... Haaaa!!! Cmon Blackhawk..

South Tacoma is a slum and not even by most AMerican standards, just Pacific Northwest standards.. U District is not a slum, it's a college neighborhood.. It's actually a lot nicer than many urban libearl university college neighborhoods. Heck, I remember living near University of Oregon near 13th St in the 1990s. A friend of mine got shot by a meth addict on that street and survived, thankfully. Anyhow, even the college area around U of O was slummier than U District. The only sketchy part of U District is the Avenue, but soon as you hit Ravenna or make it down to Montlake Terrace or any surrounding area it becomes very wealthy and upscale neighborhoods.

What saddens me is they are going to demolish all the old buildings in the Univ District that had all the cool food places and shops and build more sterile, over-priced and soulless condos. Soon, the U District will be as overpriced and bland as many of the other once -hip and cool Seattle neighborhoods like Ballard and Fremont. It is like all of Seattle is being bought out by a few giant corporations who now run the housing market and all the migrants from California, East Coast and other parts of the country who need nice scenery, less crime and good jobs will flee to Seattle and drive the prices through the roof.
Drive up to Vancouver and it will make you feel better about what is happening to Seattle. I think they used the same architect for 90% of their buildings. You see masses of skyscrapers and they all look the same.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Just an aside; I once met the neighbors of one of the U District's most notorious slum lords. The guy lived in a cushy neighborhood in Bellevue. I'd met him and seen a couple of his units when I was looking for rentals as a student, too, so I saw up close and personal the effects of his chronic neglect on U District properties. His neighbors treated him like a hero for having made a fortune by ripping off students and trashing what originally were nice properties. Weird value system over there in Bellevue. That's capitalism for you, though, I guess; anything goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area