Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,051,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
And yet there never seems to be any actual "improvement" since all the streets in Seattle are so chewed up that it looks like a war had been recently fought within city limits.

I feel like I'm galloping on a horse as I ride my bike to work from Cap Hill to downtown given how potholed and bumpy our streets are. We might as well just have dirt streets, especially since the paint on nearly every street has already faded away, leaving only faint hints at where lanes could even be. This city is in such desperate need of newly paved streets, but I guess the city has other crippling infrastructure issues that our taxes have to get diverted to.

Meanwhile, the Eastside cities generally have streets so smoothly paved you'd think that no one ever drives over them.
Bad drivers and bad roads are one of the more common complaints on C-D.

I was in Boston a few weeks back, both the roads and the drivers are much worse than Seattle.

Infrastructure issues are a nationwide problem, again not exclusive to Seattle.

Inf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,659,479 times
Grain of salt. That study was only of Allstate-insured drivers and recorded the length of time between their accidents. It's a snapshot of one sub-segment of drivers.

Not to argue against the ranking, but I've driven in the East Coast, New England, the Midwest, and the South, and I don't see what's so much worse about driving habits in the PNW. People are pretty much the same wherever you go. If anything, drivers around here are much less aggressive and more courteous than in other places I've lived and visited, so you'd think there would actually be fewer accidents.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,197,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Bad drivers and bad roads are one of the more common complaints on C-D.

I was in Boston a few weeks back, both the roads and the drivers are much worse than Seattle.

Infrastructure issues are a nationwide problem, again not exclusive to Seattle.

Inf
Roads in Boston may be a little worse, presumably due to the more extreme weather, and while the drivers may be more aggressive, I certainly would not call them "worse" than what Seattle has. I feel Seattle drivers are far less skilled and far more confused, but not "better" than Boston drivers.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,051,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Roads in Boston may be a little worse, presumably due to the more extreme weather, and while the drivers may be more aggressive, I certainly would not call them "worse" than what Seattle has. I feel Seattle drivers are far less skilled and far more confused, but not "better" than Boston drivers.
Sixty percent of the population of Seattle are transplants from elsewhere. They brought all of those bad habits with them. I'm not saying that natives don't have bad habits, just saying that the city is full of people that have brought the driving habits of cities and towns across the country with them.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,197,096 times
Quote:
Sixty percent of the population of Seattle are transplants from elsewhere. They brought all of those bad habits with them. I'm not saying that natives don't have bad habits, just saying that the city is full of people that have brought the driving habits of cities and towns across the country with them.
Agreed, I am a transplant myself. I have to say it seems like an awful mix up here, you get a ton of the frantic passive drivers who are just utterly confused by the "laborious" act of driving, as well as a lot of the hot rods "without a second to spare" on the roads with them at the same time.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,116,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Meanwhile, the Eastside cities generally have streets so smoothly paved you'd think that no one ever drives over them.
not only the eastside, but snohomish county too. Actually Seattle has the worst roads in the state (including the freeway).

Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,347,911 times
Quote:
The one variable that would remain in effect regardless of whether drivers are native or transplant is road design. I do see a lot of problems w/ road design around here. The classic is getting on I-5 at 45th in Wallingford. If you want to take 520 East to Bellevue/Kirkland, you have to move over something like 4 lanes in less than one mile, usually in heavy traffic. I think the HOV layout also induces many lane changes. More lane changes=more accidents.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,531 posts, read 81,025,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The one variable that would remain in effect regardless of whether drivers are native or transplant is road design. I do see a lot of problems w/ road design around here. The classic is getting on I-5 at 45th in Wallingford. If you want to take 520 East to Bellevue/Kirkland, you have to move over something like 4 lanes in less than one mile, usually in heavy traffic. I think the HOV layout also induces many lane changes. More lane changes=more accidents.
The same with getting from 520 to I5 South and getting off at Eastlake/Denny. We have actually changed to getting off of 520 at Harvard, the cross the freeway at Roanoke and take Boylston to get back onto I5 south in the right lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area