U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 12:15 PM

12 posts, read 38,904 times

Advertisements

We finish graduate school in May - architecture and physical therapy degrees and have been debating and researching locations to start our careers and lives... She did a clinical rotation in Seattle and liked it, but it was during the summer and we're extremely concerned about the dreariness in the winter months... we are also aware of the extreme costs of living! We are an outdoorsy couple and need close mountains for snowboarding and such.... have some watersport interests too which makes Seattle slightly more appealing...
We have begun considereng Denver... lower cost of living, especially in the housing market... access to outdoor activities but are somewhat concerned about the city's isolation and lack of urban/cosmopolitan "flare"???...
Any ideas or suggestions???... any other locations???.... we've lived in several places already (didn't like southern california).... done the northeast (maine, massachusetts, DC) and parts of the midwest (ohio, st. louis).....

Please Help!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 12:27 PM

1,607 posts, read 4,695,792 times
Colorado = 300+ sunny days a year.

Seattle = 70 sunny days a year.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 PM

166 posts, read 451,980 times
I grew up in Chicago, but have lived just outside Denver for the last 6 years and two months ago moved to the Seattle area.

Colorado does have a lot of sunshine - however - it get's ridiculously hot for long stretches in the summer. Having lived there for the last six years I can say that if you are looking for more of an outdoorsy lifestyle then Denver would work. I personally just moved to the Seattle area.

There are a few winter comparisons that I will make for you:

Denver - Occasional sub-zero temps, cold (not Chicago cold, but cold none the less), occasional 70 degree days in the middle of winter, lots of snow (great for snow sports if you can get over I70 to get there) One thing I really hated was the fact that you could have massive temperature swings in a day or two (like 100 to 40... or like 50 to -5)

Seattle - Minimal snow, milder temperatures (30 - 80 average), if you want snow - you go to it in the mountains (also pretty cool for snow sports...and water sports).

Be careful of the housing market in Colorado, it has been one of the hardest hit states. Washington has done better in the housing area because of a stronger job market.

Denver is a decent city, but coming from Chicago I was disappointed with the lack of urban flare - it really didn't work for me on that level. I ended up putting more of a focus on being outdoors. However, I grew up with water all around and I can tell you - if you like water sports you will be very sad in the Denver area. People are super friendly in Denver and a little more to themselves in Seattle - but helpful if you ask. I find both cities intellectually stimulating, but in very different ways.

I moved to Seattle recently for a few reasons: I love water/boats, I love an urban and eclectic flare, I like less extreme temperatures. I found a place in the rain shadow and it barely rains at all. It gets a little cloudy, but it has been regularly sunny and quite awesome.

You guys sound like a young, hip couple and I think both places could work - it really depends on what your highest priorities are. To sum it up; Denver = big, friendly town, Seattle = hip, intellectual city.

If you move to Denver - scope out the LODO (lower downtown) area - they have some wonderful lofts down there.

If you move to Seattle - scope out Fremont, Ballard, and Wallingford.

Please feel free to contact me if you have more questions or if I can direct you in any way.

Best of luck!!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:12 PM

One more thing.....for architecture....you cannot beat Chicago. Just for fun, scope out the Wicker Park, Bucktown, West Town areas of Chicago. Great water sports - not great for ski/snowboard, but there are areas less than 2 hours away for that. Not to mention beach and MAJOR urban flare. You never know.....

Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 PM

16 posts, read 27,339 times
I completely agree with TecWmm. I also lived in Denver for 7 years and have recently moved to Seattle. One thing not mentioned though is the horrible traffic in Seattle. If you can get out of having to drive to work, way worth it. Denver is pretty easy to get around.

My husband and I are are also young professionals with no children and we'll most likely be in Seattle for a while. We really miss denver though and I think most of that is because of the great friends we made there. People in Seattle are alot harder to get to know.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poultrytsunami View Post
I completely agree with TecWmm. I also lived in Denver for 7 years and have recently moved to Seattle. One thing not mentioned though is the horrible traffic in Seattle. If you can get out of having to drive to work, way worth it. Denver is pretty easy to get around.

My husband and I are are also young professionals with no children and we'll most likely be in Seattle for a while. We really miss denver though and I think most of that is because of the great friends we made there. People in Seattle are alot harder to get to know.
Oh, you are so right on the traffic in Seattle - it is horrendous. There is no rhyme or reason to it whatsoever....is sucks pretty hard.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:45 AM

293 posts, read 963,793 times
My ex-girlfriend is from Denver and I've got a buddy in Vail so I know Colorado fairly well. One of the things I don't like about Denver is the high altitude. Another thing is the lack of access to water and the flat, dry barren landscape. Other than that, I don't really have anything bad to say about it. It's just not a really inspiring place, IMO.

Since you are professionals and able to afford the cost of living, I would definitely go with Seattle.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,091,156 times
The weather in Denver is great most of the time. Much better than that dreary rainy climate of Seattle's. Read through this forum. You will find a lot of people who originally said they like rain who got fed up with it.

I have lived in the Denver area for 27 yrs. TecWmn got it right, . . . mostly. I have seen summers where we hardly used our air conditioner. I have seen summers where we ran it every day. The past few summers have been on the hotter side. I'm not sure what Urban activites Seattle has that Denver doesn't, though Denver is not known for any particular type of rock music, like Seattle is known for grunge. I think you could find most of what you want in Denver. All except the water sports, of course.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:28 PM

1,607 posts, read 4,695,792 times
I lived in Colorado for 5 years. My favorite part was the climate. If I ever moved back it would have to be "in" the rockies. The Denver metro area is nice, but feels like it's missing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: