Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:31 AM

7 posts, read 17,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
Oh, and I never experienced the Seattle Freeze. I think some people do, but it depends on too many factors to estimate how things will unfold for you.
Me either! Everyone has been very warm and friendly to me. PS: Good for you, taking on the powers that be; I'm not an atheist, but I like your style .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 03:35 PM

39 posts, read 62,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenToland88 View Post
You'll be fine! Seattle is a very accepting city (and I say that as a conservative, so there ya go!), and we pride ourselves on being so. You will not be disappointed. Please do come, and allow me to be among the first to welcome you.
That's good to hear. And thank you very much.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:59 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Seattle is filled with transplants and we all come to our own conclusions based on our own experiences. Overall, most agree that Seattle is a haven for anyone wishing to express individuality.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-12-2020 at 08:14 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 06:20 PM

337 posts, read 494,857 times
You will never have a problem here. I have a friend whom just rented a room to a very flamboyant young gay guy from Louisiana, he was shocked that gay men and women walk around Seattle holding hands and show affection in public, he said that would never happen where he is from. It's very accepting here. If the so-called "Seattle Freeze" (HA!) really does exist, it's because people don't give each other a hassle for their chosen or born lifestyles. People here keep their mouths shut about that stuff here and just let others be what they are. I've always suspected that those whom continually harp-on about the "Seattle Freeze" were people whom were not open-minded and instead want people to be just like them.

Maybe try visiting first?

Old 09-01-2014, 02:29 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
i think this post kinda says it all about seattle since no one has responded back that you are seemingly racist yourself. I'm really not trying to be rude, i'm just wanting to point it out. I get it- i'm from CA and know what you're talking about, but the difference is that just about every race hires their own (except for whites because they're the only ones who are ever worried about being called racist). My suggestion would be to find a transgender forum of some sort for seattle and get actual advice from those that know. You're not going to get everything you need to know of a topic of this kind on city data; and even visiting could give illusions. My opinion would be areas of CA may be more accepting since it's so diverse (SF, LA, etc) that you don't run into as many issues.
Good luck on finding the right spot that fits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgirl007 View Post
Thanks so much for this information! This is what I was looking for. This is what I was needing to hear. No sugarcoating or threading softly. The irony is that you think Seattle is different from the south when it comes to racism but in reality it's not to much different. Different yes but a lot of ways similar. Here in Texas it can be the same type of racism. We call it Subtle Racism. They aren't direct with it, But there is a lot of SHADE, as we like to say.But depending on where you are, They can be directly racist. In Houston the police only follow you around if your in a particular neighborhood (Mostly white). But Houston is so diverse culturally that I'm sure this happens more in Seattle than here. BUT being followed around stores happen a lot here! Whispering behind your back is major. Assuming that your unintelligent b/c your black is common until you prove them wrong. The police are very racist and the police department is corrupt, has a lack of officers to cover the city, and is underfunded. You'll see police cars parked behind shopping centers taking a nap or passing time until their shift is up. The Hispanic's pretty much run the city, but whites like to think that they do. And blacks like to take credit for giving the city spice and culture. Everywhere you go, Its Mexicans galore. They are a MAJOR infestation and their numbers are large. A lot of them are cocky and self assured. You will run across a lot of them that feel they are better than blacks and have the nerves to be racist! Even though they don't have a birth certificate or greencard. Mexicans also have all the jobs here. The media loves to say that Texas is where the jobs are at, But they never mention that these jobs are quickly taken by Hispanics. Blacks are working here, but the competition is fierce! Just about every store you walk in has Mexicans working. Job discrimination is big! Mexicans mainly hire Mexicans. The whites will take sides with the Mexicans when and if it comes down to it. As far as the culture Gay men are more excepted than Trans women (openly). But secretly men down here are constantly hooking up with transwomen, and I mean CONSTANTLY! The city overall is not transfriendly. But its all FAKE and PHONEY if you ask me. Because a lot of them are still hooking up with us. And the irony is that we have a lesbian MAYOR!But I do give her credit for trying. She recently passed a law, although with a lot of protest, that transpeople are to be allowed to use the public restroom of their choosing. The rent is much cheaper than Seattle but not the cheapest in the south. The roads are HORRIBLE in Houston. PotHoles everywhere! And the city floods easily. I could go on and on, but it's exhausting me. I'm so over this city. The humid heat in the summer is a killer! Seattle people come outdoors when the sun is out but we STAY IN! It's that intense. There is no HOUSTON FREEZE lol. The people are friendlier than that. But yet and still racism exist. I'm just ready to leave here. I'm over it. Not much to do unless you have the money to do so. Just a lot of spread out flat land. The LGBT culture is dry and their voice is not loud as it should be. We have the MONTROSE area, but even people in that area are racist and transphobic. I'm just sick of it here. It's good for some people but not for me. The nightlife is good though. Lots and Lots of clubs and stripclubs. And plenty of places to shop. I look forward to visiting Seattle and experiencing this for myself. If I find It to be better than Texas by comparison, Then I may give it a try. But from what you've told me, I'm not very confident. How different is Portland from Seattle?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
You will never have a problem here. I have a friend whom just rented a room to a very flamboyant young gay guy from Louisiana, he was shocked that gay men and women walk around Seattle holding hands and show affection in public, he said that would never happen where he is from. It's very accepting here. If the so-called "Seattle Freeze" (HA!) really does exist, it's because people don't give each other a hassle for their chosen or born lifestyles. People here keep their mouths shut about that stuff here and just let others be what they are. I've always suspected that those whom continually harp-on about the "Seattle Freeze" were people whom were not open-minded and instead want people to be just like them.

Maybe try visiting first?
Hey. Thanks for responding and I totally agree with you. People are gonna give advice from THEIR perspective, which may not be everyone's perspective. Which is why I plan on visiting next week. Do you know of any decent hotels not far from the downtown area?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:43 AM

Okay, So I just recently visited Seattle and I must say that it was not what I was expecting at all. The city, which fells more like a small suburban town, was not what I was expecting. It actually feels more conservative than liberal, even though people on citi data love to claim that it is very liberal and excepting, LIES! I felt like I was visiting MAYBERRY half the time. Seems as if this city is more gay friendly than transfriendly. I rarely even seen any transwomen, only what appeared to me to be some crossdressers on the light rail transit or walking around Capitol Hill. I felt as if I was the only REAL trans woman in the city, but I could be wrong, I just NEVER seen another REAL trans girl the whole time I was there. The people were either very weird to me or totally embarrassing (especially the blacks I constantly ran across downtown). People walked quickly as if they really had somewhere to go but upon closer inspection, I realized they really weren't going ANYWHERE(Except home maybe!) Its all just smoke and mirrors. I found a lot of the people to be weird in the sense that they either sat in silence a lot, kept their heads down, constantly looking at and playing with their cellphones( Probably because they have no real social skills) or just pretending to be happy when it was obvious that they weren't. Nothing felt genuine. A lot of places that I went the men just lusted and gawked at me, as if they had never seen an attractive voluptuous woman before. I have a curvy body (think mini Jessica Rabbit) But nothing that is out of the ordinary were I come from. But these people acted as if they had never seen ass and **** before in their life! And I was fully dressed mind you. The city seems to be nothing but rules and regulations. You can't do this or you can't do that or you'll get a ticket or get in trouble. No one dares cross the street before the display tells them to or the heavens will fall. Everything is so PG in this city EXCEPT all the homeless, drug addicts and dope sellers in the downtown area. The blacks I encountered downtown were such an embarrassment. They seemed to have no pride in themselves or their appearance(No wonder I stood out, as I was always well dressed.) The blacks in the city seemed ghetto and uneducated (Not all, but a lot) And these same low class trashy men would be the main ones running up to me trying to flirt and making cat calls, as if they were a hot catch. It was totally annoying. Then I had black men/boys constantly making comments about my ass, as if they had never seen an ass my size before in their LIFE! I can honestly say that the black males in the city where the most rude and annoying. Did I say the word MAYBERRY already? Just checking. The city of Seattle is not URBAN at all(except maybe sone of the rachetness you see downtown) Other than that it is TOTALLY SUBURBAN to me. I thought Houston was to suburban but Seattle takes the cake. Overall I was not impressed, mostly just shocked at the culture of the city. And whoever said that there was no racism in Seattle totally lied! There was subtle racism everywhere, but sometimes I had to ask myself, how would I feel toward blacks that carried out the way some of the blacks where acting that I came across? But nothing excuses racism. I just want it to be known that racism mostly definitely exsist in Seattle, so please white people, stop claiming that it doesn't. Did I meet a few nice and friendly white people? Yes. But do I feel their friendliness was genuine? Most of the time, NO. Seems like they had a time limit on how long they wanted to be seen conversing with a black person before they had to run off. They'll be polite enough to give you directions, but don't seem to be comfortable with conversation farther than that. Not saying that all whites in Seattle are racist at all, BUT its definitely there. The Capitol Hill area was cool, but not impressive. Capitol Hill is basically a bunch of tiny gay bars and restaurants scattered around, with gays and lesbians everywhere. No major dance clubs, definitely no Hip Hip clubs, for those that rather hear more hip/hop or R&B. Certain people can get bored with Capitol Hill quickly, and as I stated in one of my previous posts, the gay scene is not really my thing. I prefer straight clubs. Which sometimes its hard to tell the difference in Seattle. I guess I've seen much more in life, so I'm not easily impressed unless its something I havnt already seen. Overall, I DO NOT, recommend any REAL trans women, especially women of color, to move to Seattle. This is not the place for you. If your a white trans, You may find more of a liking here, Just being honest. The people are very country minded toward transwomen and the city is not as liberal as it claims to be. And if you don't wanna feel like your living in a large suburb, Then you definitely should not move here. Now the positives about the city were the scenery! Very beautiful city in a forestry waterland type of way. I took a ARGOSY? Boat cruise and it was nice. The view of the mountain is heavenly and the wether is not THAT bad at all. Very green city, with lots of beautiful trees and greenery, which is something I really appreciated. But once you get over that, it can get rather boring. And get used to smelling Marijuana in a lot of places that you go. The Soundtransit light rail train only has ONE line, Yes I said ONE. But other than that transportation is fairly good, with the buses taking up the slack. Lots of hills, so after being there for a while, you will definitely be in better shape than when you came. Seattle is not bad for everyone, But for the rest of us, Its a place you visit but DO NOT move to. Sad to say, but I was so relieved to be back on the hotel shuttle bus headed for the airport.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgirl007 View Post
Okay, So I just recently visited Seattle and I must say that it was not what I was expecting at all. The city, which fells more like a small suburban town, was not what I was expecting. It actually feels more conservative than liberal, even though people on citi data love to claim that it is very liberal and excepting, LIES! I felt like I was visiting MAYBERRY half the time. Seems as if this city is more gay friendly than transfriendly. I rarely even seen any transwomen, only what appeared to me to be some crossdressers on the light rail transit or walking around Capitol Hill. I felt as if I was the only REAL trans woman in the city, but I could be wrong, I just NEVER seen another REAL trans girl the whole time I was there. The people were either very weird to me or totally embarrassing (especially the blacks I constantly ran across downtown). People walked quickly as if they really had somewhere to go but upon closer inspection, I realized they really weren't going ANYWHERE(Except home maybe!) Its all just smoke and mirrors. I found a lot of the people to be weird in the sense that they either sat in silence a lot, kept their heads down, constantly looking at and playing with their cellphones( Probably because they have no real social skills) or just pretending to be happy when it was obvious that they weren't. Nothing felt genuine. A lot of places that I went the men just lusted and gawked at me, as if they had never seen an attractive voluptuous woman before. I have a curvy body (think mini Jessica Rabbit) But nothing that is out of the ordinary were I come from. But these people acted as if they had never seen ass and **** before in their life! And I was fully dressed mind you. The city seems to be nothing but rules and regulations. You can't do this or you can't do that or you'll get a ticket or get in trouble. No one dares cross the street before the display tells them to or the heavens will fall. Everything is so PG in this city EXCEPT all the homeless, drug addicts and dope sellers in the downtown area. The blacks I encountered downtown were such an embarrassment. They seemed to have no pride in themselves or their appearance(No wonder I stood out, as I was always well dressed.) The blacks in the city seemed ghetto and uneducated (Not all, but a lot) And these same low class trashy men would be the main ones running up to me trying to flirt and making cat calls, as if they were a hot catch. It was totally annoying. Then I had black men/boys constantly making comments about my ass, as if they had never seen an ass my size before in their LIFE! I can honestly say that the black males in the city where the most rude and annoying. Did I say the word MAYBERRY already? Just checking. The city of Seattle is not URBAN at all(except maybe sone of the rachetness you see downtown) Other than that it is TOTALLY SUBURBAN to me. I thought Houston was to suburban but Seattle takes the cake. Overall I was not impressed, mostly just shocked at the culture of the city. And whoever said that there was no racism in Seattle totally lied! There was subtle racism everywhere, but sometimes I had to ask myself, how would I feel toward blacks that carried out the way some of the blacks where acting that I came across? But nothing excuses racism. I just want it to be known that racism mostly definitely exsist in Seattle, so please white people, stop claiming that it doesn't. Did I meet a few nice and friendly white people? Yes. But do I feel their friendliness was genuine? Most of the time, NO. Seems like they had a time limit on how long they wanted to be seen conversing with a black person before they had to run off. They'll be polite enough to give you directions, but don't seem to be comfortable with conversation farther than that. Not saying that all whites in Seattle are racist at all, BUT its definitely there. The Capitol Hill area was cool, but not impressive. Capitol Hill is basically a bunch of tiny gay bars and restaurants scattered around, with gays and lesbians everywhere. No major dance clubs, definitely no Hip Hip clubs, for those that rather hear more hip/hop or R&B. Certain people can get bored with Capitol Hill quickly, and as I stated in one of my previous posts, the gay scene is not really my thing. I prefer straight clubs. Which sometimes its hard to tell the difference in Seattle. I guess I've seen much more in life, so I'm not easily impressed unless its something I havnt already seen. Overall, I DO NOT, recommend any REAL trans women, especially women of color, to move to Seattle. This is not the place for you. If your a white trans, You may find more of a liking here, Just being honest. The people are very country minded toward transwomen and the city is not as liberal as it claims to be. And if you don't wanna feel like your living in a large suburb, Then you definitely should not move here. Now the positives about the city were the scenery! Very beautiful city in a forestry waterland type of way. I took a ARGOSY? Boat cruise and it was nice. The view of the mountain is heavenly and the wether is not THAT bad at all. Very green city, with lots of beautiful trees and greenery, which is something I really appreciated. But once you get over that, it can get rather boring. And get used to smelling Marijuana in a lot of places that you go. The Soundtransit light rail train only has ONE line, Yes I said ONE. But other than that transportation is fairly good, with the buses taking up the slack. Lots of hills, so after being there for a while, you will definitely be in better shape than when you came. Seattle is not bad for everyone, But for the rest of us, Its a place you visit but DO NOT move to. Sad to say, but I was so relieved to be back on the hotel shuttle bus headed for the airport.
With all due respect, extrapolating the experiences of thousands of people (i.e., black people) based on your limited experiences on 3rd and Pine (let's be honest, you're a tourist and it's obvious that is what you are talking about) is like making assumptions about ALL Italian people based on watching "The Godfather".

Old 11-01-2014, 01:58 PM

338 posts, read 847,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
With all due respect, extrapolating the experiences of thousands of people (i.e., black people) based on your limited experiences on 3rd and Pine (let's be honest, you're a tourist and it's obvious that is what you are talking about) is like making assumptions about ALL Italian people based on watching "The Godfather".
Exactly.
And when you call people "the blacks," it's pretty obvious where your prejudices lie.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 PM

305 posts, read 450,109 times
tsgirl, you're going to open up a fortune cookie in the near future that says "Your powers of perception will save you from life-long mistakes". Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area