Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times

Advertisements

IMO this is the BEST time of year for Whistler. There are even more activities than winter. You can bike, hike, zip line, go horseback riding, and avoid the crowds. It's also a fraction of the cost. The weather is gorgeous and clear, and you can take the lift to the top for some of the best alpine hiking anywhere, and then take the gondola over to the other peak and do the same (watch for bears on your way over). The views go on and on - you really feel like you're on top of the world. The village has lots of cute shops and restaurants, so there's plenty to do there, and you don't have to beat people out of your way to get a table. Plus the road to Whistler is a destination in and of itself - it's a really lovely drive once you're north of Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:40 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Whistler in the summer can be a nice get away. It's a beautiful spot and less crowded, more of a hiking/ spa vacation. Victoria has more urban entertainment, though it's a very small city. For two days, you really can't go wrong with either. It just depends on whether you want to be in the wilderness or the city. Whistler is a lot fancier though. You might spend more there unless you save a bunch on an off season rental rate.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:40 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
We just got back from a trip to Whistler. It was gorgeous. Last summer we did a weekend in Victoria. I'd say if you are a city person who enjoys strolling pretty streets, shopping and stopping at a cool pub and exploring gardens then I'd chose Victoria. It is a lovely seaside city that has a European flair. If you enjoy hiking and the outdoors, awesome mountain views then I'd do Whistler. Both are great. If time is an issue then getting to Victoria on the clipper is much faster than driving up to Whistler.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:51 PM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Why not leave the car and take the Victoria Clipper?
That was his original plan, but he said the schedule doesn't suit him. He prefers a mid-day departure. Did you read the OP?

Old 09-05-2014, 04:22 PM

58 posts, read 89,738 times
Thanks, everyone! Ahhh.... both sound really good. Make me want to visit them both, and maybe that's what I'll do since it really only takes two weekends to hit both Victoria and Whistler. I love having all these wonderful places to visit in such a close proximity from Seattle.

This is actually a last-minute trip for this weekend. I'll look up the ferry options people suggested here and if it doesn't work for me, I'll probably just end up driving up to Whistler. Thanks again, all.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:51 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chald View Post
Thanks, everyone! Ahhh.... both sound really good. Make me want to visit them both, and maybe that's what I'll do since it really only takes two weekends to hit both Victoria and Whistler. I love having all these wonderful places to visit in such a close proximity from Seattle.

This is actually a last-minute trip for this weekend. I'll look up the ferry options people suggested here and if it doesn't work for me, I'll probably just end up driving up to Whistler. Thanks again, all.
Hey if you go to Victoria and plan on staying overnight we really liked Chateau Victoria. It is walking distance from the ferry and is very reasonable in terms of price (you can also book it with a discount thru the Clipper). It was clean, modern and had a good restaurant for easy breakfast. We stayed at Club Intrawest in Whistler (is a time share but also rents to public) and it was really nice. Good location in the Upper Village and great amenities.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:16 AM

458 posts, read 957,685 times
I would go to Victoria (planned our trip for the first weekend in October)...there is so much to do and it really has a different vibe than Van.

Whistler is wonderful year round but really special in the winter so for me I would save my trip there for winter especially if you enjoy snow sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area