Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 09:36 PM

8 posts, read 15,259 times

Advertisements

I have just moved into a house in the Lake Hills neighborhood of Bellevue. I have two cats and my roommate--who has lived in the house for several years--has a dog. I noticed they are all scratching excessively (the dog does both scratching and licking). I found out that the dog across the street is doing the same thing.

Fleas came to mind, of course. But I can't find any on my cats. They have now developed little bumps on their necks, which is where they do the most scratching. I can feel them but it's difficult to see them. They do not feel like scabs. There are none of the other typical symptoms of fleas.

My cats have were scratching more than usual before I moved here. They are strictly indoor cats, so I was thinking it was either anxiety or dry skin. But now the scratching is excessive and the bumps are new.

It could be simply all the animals simply have fleas. But could it be something else? Something unique to this area that's bothering them (such as another parasite or fungus)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I have never heard of anything other than fleas, and ticks if the animals are spending time in the woods or fields of tall grass. It may just be the dry air from lack of humidity the last few weeks of hot weather, in which case it should go away today as the rain returns. I would suggest calling and asking a vet, though they will probably suggest bringing them in for an exam. If you haven't found one yet, we use Companion Animal Hospital on 156th half a block south of Northup.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
At the animal shelter the "When is flea season?" question used to come up. Our answer: "in the PNW, flea season never ends."

So it could be fleas. If you can't see them they might still be there. In the early stages it's very difficult to catch them on your pet because they're tiny. If you're nervous go to a vet. Most around here will give you your first exam free.

You could also buy a topical flea killer (usually applied behind the neck). Worked great for my dog when she picked up fleas at Marymoor a while back.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times
Why don't you just take them to the vet and get an expert opinion? Sounds like fleas or an allergy.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:46 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Why don't you just take them to the vet and get an expert opinion? Sounds like fleas or an allergy.
No kidding. My cats, over the years, have been mostly self-maintaining but I do have a vet of record for all.

My housecat escaped for a day or two, or less (nerve-wracking) in Redmond some years ago (1990s). On one of these brief forays, she got fleas. The vet in Redmond had that cured with a potion applied to back of her neck and coat in short order. The fleas were on the run in days, never to reappear. I don't remember paying even a hundred bucks to solve that, probably a lot less.

One of my indoor cats had a brief (half-day) foray outside, in 2013 (escaped, but is so institutionalized he didn't go farther than under my back deck). No fleas from that. They're out there, though, as others mention.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:54 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Us and several of our neighbors had a bad flea problem earlier this year which is unusual. Seems like there was a bumper crop of them this spring after a mild winter. We had to switch flea treatments because the usual stuff wasn't strong enough.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
At the animal shelter the "When is flea season?" question used to come up. Our answer: "in the PNW, flea season never ends."

So it could be fleas. If you can't see them they might still be there. In the early stages it's very difficult to catch them on your pet because they're tiny. If you're nervous go to a vet. Most around here will give you your first exam free.

You could also buy a topical flea killer (usually applied behind the neck). Worked great for my dog when she picked up fleas at Marymoor a while back.
We have had 2-3 dogs (different ones) for over 30 years. When living in CA (Bay Area) we had flea control issues almost all year. In our 21 years here we have never seen a flea. We have not had to do powder, spray, collars or dip like we did there. Perhaps it helps that we have room for them in the yard and don't have to go to Marymoor or other places where dogs have been, but I didn't think fleas were that much of a problem here.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 AM

8 posts, read 15,259 times
Thank you everyone for your input. I think it is fleas.

I would take my cats to the vet in a heartbeat, but I do not have the money to do so. In fact, I moved in with my friend because I lost my home. One of my biggest concerns about moving to a new location was how it would affect my cats. I was stressed, so they were stressed as well, with one especially neurotic by nature.

My roommate will treat her dog for fleas and that should help a bit and I will get a topic treatment for them, as well. What's odd is that they seem to bother the cats every other day (not every day) and they are both affected on the same day.

All will be well (hoping).

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2014, 10:49 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,223 times
Our dogs always get itchy scratchy at this time of year. I've looked (as has the vet) for fleas but have never found any. They might get a flea or two outside, but don't bring them inside (they're mainly indoor dogs) but at any rate it seems to pass by early October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area