Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:09 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
the EMP looks like space garbage.
Well I am glad somebody said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:39 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Well I am glad somebody said it.
I don't like it either.

To be fair, it looks better inside, architecturally.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:58 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nF88 View Post
I stopped reading after your first sentence because you obviously didn't take time to read my posts.
You caught me. This is an ugly city. The fall rains came yesterday and it is going to rain until next May. Now is the time that you need to clean your feet every night and carefully dry them so the moss doesn't grow between your toes. Our traffic is worse than anything you can imagine. Everyone here is forced to buy at least 24 ounces of Starbucks a day and to use only Windows based software and Windows phones. When Bill Gates or Paul Allen or any of the Microsoft billionaires drives past every person on the sidewalk must drop to their knees and avert their eyes, even in slug-filled rain puddles.

We have three somewhat active volcanoes within 90 miles of the city. There is a fault line that runs through the center of the city that could go at any time and that's just one of a hundred faults in the area. Our hills slide into the sea with alarming regularity. The ground is still settling after the last ice age 10,000 years ago. Last summer it seemed like our forests were on fire over a thousand square miles.

And it's dark here in the winter. So dark. The sun never quite gets high enough in the sky during the short days of December and January to cast enough light through the heavy low clouds where you feel comfortable turning off your headlights even at noon. You'll be waiting at dark and rainy bus stops hoping that no one driving down the road splashes you. Step too far one direction and you're soaked, step too far in the other and the bus driver will never see you.

You'll get wet and cold. So cold. Even though the thermometer says that it is 42, the rain drives the cold into your bones. And there is no protecting yourself from it. You could spend $1000 in rain gear and fleece at REI (which will get you a parka, a fleece vest, and a little thermometer or compass to put on your zipper) and still never be dry.

The roads are bedlam. People from all over the world come here, bringing with them the driving habits of their homes. Mix that with the timid drivers going 10 below the speed limit and the Microsofties and Amazonians using their smartphones while careening carelessly down the carriageways and you have a slow, congested white line nightmare. Sidewalks are dangerous when you are dodging bicyclists and beggars. And don't cross a cycletrack without looking for a stealthy ninja biker clad all in dark colors on one of our endless rainy nights. They'll run you down.

And the city is filled with grumps and malcontents and the disgruntled who moved here expecting it to be like their home but with mountains and jobs, who complain and whine because the environment here doesn't bend to their internal definition of what constitutes nice weather or social behaviors.

We Seattle folk try to market this place as a wonderful corner of the world, but it is really a pit of despair and misery shrouded in such heavy darkness and rain that any flame of hope and joy stutters and is soon extinguished. We want to sell our houses to you so we can move to gentler climes.

You caught us. You've seen through the lies. Don't move here, whatever you do. It'll destroy your soul. It'll break your spirit. Stay in Philly where you are safe and happy. There is nothing here for you but rain and sadness.

Rain and sadness.

Last edited by sean98125; 09-25-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,661 times
It's all true.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Rain and sadness.
That was...awesome*. I'm not sure which made me laugh more, the thermometer on the zipper or the ninja clad biker but it was all so good. Well done sir!

*Apparently can't rep you again.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
That was...awesome*. I'm not sure which made me laugh more, the thermometer on the zipper or the ninja clad biker but it was all so good. Well done sir!
*Apparently can't rep you again.
Yup, that was a good one! It's nice to be able to have a good laugh now and then.
"Sean" deserves a lot of reps!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:32 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,001 times
Quote:
you caught me. This is an ugly city. The fall rains came yesterday and it is going to rain until next may. Now is the time that you need to clean your feet every night and carefully dry them so the moss doesn't grow between your toes. Our traffic is worse than anything you can imagine. Everyone here is forced to buy at least 24 ounces of starbucks a day and to use only windows based software and windows phones. When bill gates or paul allen or any of the microsoft billionaires drives past every person on the sidewalk must drop to their knees and avert their eyes, even in slug-filled rain puddles.

We have three somewhat active volcanoes within 90 miles of the city. There is a fault line that runs through the center of the city that could go at any time and that's just one of a hundred faults in the area. Our hills slide into the sea with alarming regularity. The ground is still settling after the last ice age 10,000 years ago. Last summer it seemed like our forests were on fire over a thousand square miles.

And it's dark here in the winter. So dark. The sun never quite gets high enough in the sky during the short days of december and january to cast enough light through the heavy low clouds where you feel comfortable turning off your headlights even at noon. You'll be waiting at dark and rainy bus stops hoping that no one driving down the road splashes you. Step too far one direction and you're soaked, step too far in the other and the bus driver will never see you.

You'll get wet and cold. So cold. Even though the thermometer says that it is 42, the rain drives the cold into your bones. And there is no protecting yourself from it. You could spend $1000 in rain gear and fleece at rei (which will get you a parka, a fleece vest, and a little thermometer or compass to put on your zipper) and still never be dry.

The roads are bedlam. People from all over the world come here, bringing with them the driving habits of their homes. Mix that with the timid drivers going 10 below the speed limit and the microsofties and amazonians using their smartphones while careening carelessly down the carriageways and you have a slow, congested white line nightmare. Sidewalks are dangerous when you are dodging bicyclists and beggars. And don't cross a cycletrack without looking for a stealthy ninja biker clad all in dark colors on one of our endless rainy nights. They'll run you down.

And the city is filled with grumps and malcontents and the disgruntled who moved here expecting it to be like their home but with mountains and jobs, who complain and whine because the environment here doesn't bend to their internal definition of what constitutes nice weather or social behaviors.

We seattle folk try to market this place as a wonderful corner of the world, but it is really a pit of despair and misery shrouded in such heavy darkness and rain that any flame of hope and joy stutters and is soon extinguished. We want to sell our houses to you so we can move to gentler climes.

You caught us. You've seen through the lies. Don't move here, whatever you do. It'll destroy your soul. It'll break your spirit. Stay in philly where you are safe and happy. There is nothing here for you but rain and sadness.

Rain and sadness.
lmao:d

Old 09-25-2014, 01:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
I think that online, people don't always come off as they intended. I don't think the OP realizes how she came off. She may have thought she was simply asking for advice, and she was, but: If I were to go to the Philadelphia forums on City-Data, and post something like " My husband just got a job in Philadelphia that is going to last for two years. We visited and found your city to be dirty and really ugly. How do you people survive living in such a craphole? How am I going to survive two years without killing myself? We also visited Wilmington and found it to be really charming", I think some people might not react so kindly.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:40 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Interbay, the east edge of Magnolia, and, to a lesser degree, the west edge of Queen Anne can have somewhat lower rents. Those areas are all subject to noise from the rail yards, so it depends on your tolerance for that (and on double-pane windows and other sound-insulation). I lived on 13th Ave W for 13 years and was never bothered by the train noise, but then I was up the hill a bit.

For instance:

Magnolia Duplex 2803 W View Place #Lower
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/4683572965.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/4654459210.html

You might also find some more affordable apartments on 15th Ave NW from 60th up past 85th:

Remodeled 1 Bedroom in Vintage Building

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 09-25-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 10:17 PM

92 posts, read 116,374 times
Quote:
Don't move here, whatever you do. It'll destroy your soul. It'll break your spirit.

All sarcasm aside, there is a lot of truth to that. It takes a certain type of person to truly thrive here, and if you weren't thrilled with a visit you will hte living here.

A job in retail in a place you enjoy living would be better than a wonderful job in a place that matches your personal description of hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area