Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 AM

73 posts, read 119,207 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Seattle in a month or two and will be renting, probably in the Capitol Hill district (I posted about that specifically about a month or two ago). One reason I love the area is that I love living in old renovated buildings (i.e. 1910s-1950s) - original hardwood floors, unique vintage features, etc. However, I recognize that Seattle is possibly due for a big earthquake sometime in the next 50 years and the older buildings (especially unreinforced masonry buildings URM aka old brick buildings) are especially vulnerable to earthquake collapse and damage, but can be retrofitted to be reinforced. Of which Capitol Hill has a large concentration -

An updated map of Seattle’s brick earthquake risk shows Capitol Hill concentration | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle

Any suggestions for how to find out what retrofitting has been done to a building? I know I can ask the property managers/owners, but is there anywhere I can look up city building records easily? That map shows the unreinforced masonry buildings that have or haven't been retrofitted, so that's a start.

And what kinds of retrofitting should I be looking for?

If I do look at newer buildings, from what years on are they built more safe from earthquakes? I know no building is truly 100% earthquake resistant, but the construction makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
You can put any address into the King County Parcel Viewer website and it will give ownership, tax information and more under the Property Report dropdown. One item there is Permit History. If there are none, chances are there was no upgrade done, since most would require a permit. One red flag is in the "building quality" field, Low or Low/Average would put me off.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:43 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Just to be safe you could sleep in one of these:

urban foxhole,smart product technology,underground bunker | Smart Product Technology

Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 AM

Nice! I should save up for that before I move :P

(I was waiting for a humorous/sarcastic response to roll in)

Old 10-01-2014, 02:25 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
At least you know that older brick buildings have survived strong earthquakes in 1949 (7.0), 1965 (6.5), 1996 (5.3), and 2001 (6.8). As to a future mega-quake, which might hit tomorrow or 500 years from now, all bets are off.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 AM

53 posts, read 97,197 times
That CHS article is going to be the most user friendly for you. The City's DPD website has lots more info (Unreinforced Masonry Buildings - What & Why - Seattle Department of Planning and Development) but, honestly, it's way more than you should concern yourself with. Unreinforced masonry here doesn't do well with our smaller-big quakes. But if (when) the big one happens, nothing here is going to do well.

Also, you should probably know that most of those old brick buildings you like so much (I do too, I lived in 1920s buildings for the better part of 20 years) are not renovated. A very few here and there are, but most are not. This means maybe just one outlet in the kitchen (nothing's grounded) and no outlets in the bathroom. Laundry is in the basement. No garbage disposals or dishwashers. No insulated windows. And, lathe and plaster walls that make hanging things an exercise in determination. But they do have good soundproofing between units and many have really good radiator heat for the winter. And I always had beautiful fixtures and varying degrees of beautiful hardwood floors.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Oh no, that's good to know about the renovations! I lived in an old apartment building like that in Kansas City, no dishwasher or disposal, laundry in the basement, hardwood floors were peeling, radiator heat, but it was a great location and cheap ($575 for 1.5 bedrooms! nothing like that in Seattle) so it worked for me. My current place is Dallas is a wonderfully renovated 1911 home turned fourplex that has all the modern amenities and is very nice and big with lots of storage. I know I'm not going to find something that nice (or big) in Seattle, but if many of the older buildings aren't that renovated, maybe all these factors will sway me toward newer construction. Thanks for the tips so far.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:57 PM

347 posts, read 669,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You can put any address into the King County Parcel Viewer website and it will give ownership, tax information and more under the Property Report dropdown. One item there is Permit History. If there are none, chances are there was no upgrade done, since most would require a permit. One red flag is in the "building quality" field, Low or Low/Average would put me off.
That's an interesting website, really handy. I do want to point out, however, that it doesn't seem to list all of the permits so using that in the way you've described wouldn't really work. From what I've seen permits issued after 2008 are much more likely to show than prior to that. I imagine they're still working on getting permits into the database.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:51 AM

634 posts, read 897,141 times
It's good your thinking about this. I've experienced earthquakes in old masonry buildings and let me tell ya, the expression "shake, rattle, and roll" lives up to it's name. Not to say that won't happen in more modern buildings, but I did notice a difference.

Good luck on the hill, it's a nice neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area