Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:19 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine, bona fide
Electrified, six-car monorail
What'd I say?
Just think about it.

Disneyland has a monorail.
Disneyland is the "happiest place on earth."
Seattle gets (another) monorail.
Seattle becomes more like Disneyland.
Seattle becomes more like the "happiest place on earth"; ergo, "happier."

Here is the above logic presented using a variable equasion:
D=M+?
D=H
S --> S+M
S+M=D-?
S+M=H-?

The math is unquestionable proof of the need for the monorail.
This case is closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 04:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Just think about it.

Disneyland has a monorail.
Disneyland is the "happiest place on earth."
Seattle gets (another) monorail.
Seattle becomes more like Disneyland.
Seattle becomes more like the "happiest place on earth"; ergo, "happier."

Here is the above logic presented using a variable equasion:
D=M+?
D=H
S --> S+M
S+M=D-?
S+M=H-?

The math is unquestionable proof of the need for the monorail.
This case is closed.
Not a Simpsons fan, I see...

Old 10-04-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Not a Simpsons fan, I see...
I'm not, but I know what episode you're talking about. I'm surprised no one has posted a link to the Youtube video with that clip...

Old 10-04-2014, 09:28 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
This idea is beyond stupid. Its being proposed by a handful of kooks led by the chief kook who likes to go around sueing the City to stop the Highway 99 tunnel project amongst other things.

There is already planning begun to provide light rail to West Seattle - Ballard, by Sound Transit. Its part of ST3, which is the next Sound Transit funding measure that will be going before voters soon. Providing light rail to the western third of Seattle is all part of Sound Transit's long range plans.

The monorail is a fool's errand, using outdated technology and a complete waste of time. Its this kind of spastic temper tantrums by Seattle voters that is the main reason we don't have a comprehensive light rail system in Seattle already. We could have had a light rail system for Seattle over 40 years ago (Forward Thrust) - instead, Lesser Seattle decided to throw a temper tantrum and sent the $900 million in Federal money back to DC where it immediately got shipped to Atlanta where they got to use it to build MARTA.

Way to go Seattle! Keep see-sawing between ballot measures (Yes! No! Yes! No! Yes! No!) and the wake up wondering why you can't have anything nice.

Meanwhile, our short-sighted Mayor is going cheapskate and flushing the waterfront plan and all its tremendous long-term civic and economic benefits down the drain. Guaranteed that when that same plan gets resurrected 30 years from now at 10 times the cost, everyone will go "why didn't we built it before?!?!!?"

We coulda had a downtown public park (Seattle Commons). Decided to give Paul Allen the finger instead. Now we have Greater Amazonia and Seattleites complaining about how they can't afford the rent anymore.
One thing about monorails, though--they're independent of traffic. So they can move people faster.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
One thing about monorails, though--they're independent of traffic. So they can move people faster.
Yeah, but light rail can also be separated from traffic. Light rail is also a lot more consistent in terms of performance, too.

I just can't fathom why monorail is even in discussion. WSDOT is already reviewing a grade-separated light rail like for Ballard/Greenlake and West Seattle.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:31 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Yeah, but light rail can also be separated from traffic. Light rail is also a lot more consistent in terms of performance, too.

I just can't fathom why monorail is even in discussion. WSDOT is already reviewing a grade-separated light rail like for Ballard/Greenlake and West Seattle.
Old dreams die hard, I guess.

I'm having a hard time picturing where a light rail line would run (or even a monorail) to West Seattle. What would the route be?

Old 10-05-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Old dreams die hard, I guess.

I'm having a hard time picturing where a light rail line would run (or even a monorail) to West Seattle. What would the route be?
It's currently in the initial review stage. Here's the scoop:

Light rail for West Seattle? See the progress report given to Sound Transit’s executive committee

Old 10-05-2014, 11:40 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
There is one new factor now that could affect mono-mania, and that is the emergence of the ride-share services. AFAIK they were not in existence last time. They have had to develop some political influence. They would presumably see a monorail as competition and might be willing to pony up to oppose this.

One problem w/ ballot measures is that the pro-side is usually well funded by people who intend to tap into the tax revenue stream that is to be created. And the no side is usually has virtually zero funding.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:22 PM

480 posts, read 844,757 times
Quote:

I'm with you, this seems strange. I mean, you could use a giant slingshot to shoot people across the area, and that would help improve traffic too, but it's not necessarily sensible.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:38 PM

337 posts, read 494,565 times
Monorail is mostly popular in Asia and it can be very modern. Sydney has a monorail line but I didn't bother looking it up to see how old it is before I posted this From what I recall when I did read about it a few years ago is that it can be built fairly quickly.

I'm all for whatever connects the various areas. I live on the light rain line right now and can't tell you how convenient that sucker is. I can't wait until the U extension opens, I never go there because I don't want to deal with traffic and parking, but I will when the U line opens next year and I can do it all on foot. I just hope that whatever is chosen that all the lines connect together quite easily for easy transferring. They also need to run the trains later on weekends, that would be a big help.

We need a Southcenter extension. My opinion, but it's kind of dumb that the rail didn't run from the airport to Southcenter, then northward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area