Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:14 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,520,965 times

Advertisements

And for that matter, Magnolia and West Seattle have tall bridges, too (though Magnolia has a land crossing option).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 06:14 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,652,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Okay, so we're talking about the same one.... being a double decker bridge I can imagine trying to replace it would be nothing short of catastrophic for commuters. But I get really uncomfortable on it, especially when I'm stuck up there for 15 minutes in traffic.
OP take note: I just read that Wiki link to the Ship Canal Bridge and it's a similar design as the one that collapsed in Minneapolis in 2007. Little wonder it gives me the heebie jeebies! I second Ira's recommendation on Burien. You might be able to avoid a lot of the bridges if you stick to the south.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:41 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,339,946 times
"a true fear of long, high spans over water"

The long bridges aren't high (they float) and the high bridges aren't that long. Days when whitecaps break over the sides of the floating bridges are very rare. Here are the high bridges:

Aurora Bridge:

Ship-Canal ("Freeway") Bridge:

West Seattle Bridge:

None are as high or long as the Tacoma Narrows Bridge:

Old 10-06-2014, 10:25 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,520,965 times
The Tacoma Narrows bridge still gives me the heebie jeebies when I go over it. Just repeat to yourself, "Don't look over the side...don't look over the side..."

Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 PM

Oh this is funny. I just found this video:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xox9BVSu7Ok[/url]

The two winters we lived in Michigan we would spend our indoor time at the Michigan Science Center in Detroit and they had this old video they would play over and over again and I couldn't stop watching it.... and as it turns out it was THIS very video and now I live relatively nearby

Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,851,909 times
Ah, the Galloping Gerty!

They would show the Galloping Gerty film in local schools. I can still remember the day they showed it in my class and when they mentioned there were no victims except for the dog left in the car, my class just awww'ed. I still can't wrap my head around the wind and the bridge moving like that though.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 PM

38 posts, read 69,407 times
Just to suggest something different, you might check out the areas around the N. Beacon Hill and Columbia City Link light rail stations. Why? 1) Fast commute via light rail (or bus) to downtown. 2) No huge bridges to worry about with your commute (at least I wouldn't consider either the Holgate or Rizal bridges worrisome compared with the others talked about here). 3) More kinds of housing within your price range (townhouse, SFH, condo). 4) Cool, walkable hoods with bars, restaurants, transit, grocery stores, pharmacies, parks, etc.

There are planes overhead occasionally but to be honest, after we lived here a week we stopped noticing.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Ah, the Galloping Gerty!

They would show the Galloping Gerty film in local schools. I can still remember the day they showed it in my class and when they mentioned there were no victims except for the dog left in the car, my class just awww'ed. I still can't wrap my head around the wind and the bridge moving like that though.
A dog got left in the car?!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:30 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,851,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
A dog got left in the car?!
It was the man's children's dog, he really had no chance.

WSDOT - Tacoma Narrows Bridge History: Tubby Trivia

Old 10-07-2014, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 8,978 times
What happens when there's an accident on one of the bridges? Does traffic come to a standstill, or are the lanes wide enough to squeeze around it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area