Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,477 times

Advertisements

So, I'm 19...have lived in Atlanta most of my life. I am currently in the process of getting my real estate license, but have gotten the opportunity to move to Seattle. I've always wanted to move somewhere the polar opposite of Atlanta! I'll be moving with my boyfriend :3 (we are gay). I was wondering if real estate is a good thing to get into in seattle I'll obviously have to network a bunch since we will be moving not knowing anyone there? Also I'll probably start serving or something till I can get into real estate schools and what not... Are there good opportunities for that? I'm even thinking about trying to be a barista or something :3 I have 2 years serving experience and love laid back chilled places... Not over the top professional. Having conversations with tables and what not. I just want to know really what do yall think of a move this drastic? I know loving early on in life is so much easier than if I was to wait 10 years so I don't want to just dismiss it. And on the same lines I have no doubt my boyfriend and I will last... But if need be he could probably fly down to Atlanta often if I decide not to go. Any advice or pros/cons would be appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
One of the biggest differences between Atlanta and Seattle is in the cost of housing, about 60% higher here. The average one-bedroom apartment here is $1,400, as compared to $900 there. People working as servers or baristas typically have at least one roomate making a similar amount to share the rent. Currently there are more home buyers than properties available, so home prices are up what they were in 2007, and the realtor commission is up, but they are unable to sell much without inventory. I don't think there is any shortage of experienced realtors so it could be hard to get started with a broker. You will still have to take the exam for a license here after you get the license there. I would definitely suggest coming for a visit before deciding to move here, if only to see if you can tolerate the climate. You might also consider Portland, with a lower cost of living and not quite as much rain/clouds.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:30 AM

217 posts, read 411,359 times
Seattle is definitely the polar opposite of Atlanta. My dad's family has been there for over 100 years and he still lives there now. You will leave the heat, humidity and bugs behind. Then you get really spoiled, really fast with the weather here and it's kind of awful when you have to go back. I dread walking out of the airport into the wet blanket. My dad has spent several long stretches here house-sitting for us, and he hates to go back now.

Plane tickets are pretty cheap. It's easily one of the cheapest spots on the East Coast to fly.

Seattle proper really doesn't have the Buckhead culture. It's not a party-party spot...the masses in khaki shorts and polos don't exist. Think opposite end of the earth from Miami. People go out plenty, there's a ton to do - but it's not really clubbing or wild bars. People here complain about stuck-up suburbanites in huge SUVs barreling around, but I honestly have encountered very, very few compared to the South. It's NOT what most people aspire to and is waaaaaaay more laid-back appearance-wise. My kiddo goes to an Eastside private school, so I feel like if anyone's going to be dealing with major snobs it would be me.

I'm big on going for things, even when they're kind of scary. You never know what your life will be like in 10 years. I moved to NYC from the boonies for school with $500, no place to live and having never been there before. We moved here without jobs, with a kid and knew no one. For me those two decisions have been the best two I've ever made.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:16 PM

141 posts, read 237,541 times
Cost of housing here will shock you. Especially if you are going to be in real estate. You may find yourself saying to clients "hmmmm you might want to move to ATL. For a 200K budget you could get a HUGE house in Acworth" hahah. My husband's family are in GA, so they are always shunning our decision to buy a small home here. We could have got way more there, but I prefer to be here... Less crime.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
And even in the PNW you can get way more house if you go to Everett or Tacoma and even more if you go to Spokane. Acworth Ga to downtown Atlanta is like commuting from Everett to Seattle, its a haul. If the OP is used to housing prices in the city of Atlanta they won't be as shocked as they are not as cheap as many would assume. $500k, $800k, $1 million neighborhoods are the norm in many parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovekotatsu View Post
Cost of housing here will shock you. Especially if you are going to be in real estate. You may find yourself saying to clients "hmmmm you might want to move to ATL. For a 200K budget you could get a HUGE house in Acworth" hahah. My husband's family are in GA, so they are always shunning our decision to buy a small home here. We could have got way more there, but I prefer to be here... Less crime.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:18 PM

217 posts, read 411,359 times
I'm flying back from an impromptu trip to ATL as we speak. The sprawl of Atlanta doesn't exist in Seattle, nor does the incredibly generic suburb-ness of it. This morning I drove for 40 minutes and could never tell the difference from one street to the next - everything looked the same. Seattle and the surrounding area are older development than much of ATL.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 PM

141 posts, read 237,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
And even in the PNW you can get way more house if you go to Everett or Tacoma and even more if you go to Spokane. Acworth Ga to downtown Atlanta is like commuting from Everett to Seattle, its a haul. If the OP is used to housing prices in the city of Atlanta they won't be as shocked as they are not as cheap as many would assume. $500k, $800k, $1 million neighborhoods are the norm in many parts.
that's true...

Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalex View Post
I'm flying back from an impromptu trip to ATL as we speak. The sprawl of Atlanta doesn't exist in Seattle, nor does the incredibly generic suburb-ness of it. This morning I drove for 40 minutes and could never tell the difference from one street to the next - everything looked the same. Seattle and the surrounding area are older development than much of ATL.
Where were you in Atlanta that you found this? I get so annoyed when it is suggested that Atlanta is monolithically suburban and generic. That is so untrue. It's a great city with some lovely and unique neighborhoods.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:00 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
If you're going to move to Seattle, do it ASAP. The Seattle job market is good right now--King County unemployment is at just under 5%. Seattle has enacted a somewhat complicated minimum wage law that will probably not be beneficial for the entry-level labor market that you would be in at first. Therefore I would consider initially locating on the Eastside (Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond/Renton). There is also the north end (Everett) and South (Kent/Auburn) and Tacoma to consider. To me Bellevue is the best of all, but I'm biased.

I know enough about real estate to fit in a thimble, but the buzz I hear from local media is that real estate is going great guns here right now, so the timing is good in that regard too. I can tell you that there are three big projects (condos) going up within 5 minutes walk from me, each with a massive crane busily working. If you want to go into real estate, would it not be to your advantage to be in an area where real estate prices are higher? Especially if you end up working on a percentage?

Seattle-area economy tends to go somewhat in boom-bust cycles, so it would be a good idea to move now, get yourself established, and make sure that you are in a position to weather the inevitable bust.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:25 PM

100 posts, read 130,113 times
I think you and your boyfriend will do well here since I'm guessing Atlanta and Seattle are very different, and in general, Seattle is tolerant of gay people.

As far as finding jobs, I would recommend googling restaurants in the area and applying to the ones you see fit. You could definitely apply to multiple Starbucks stores in the area, as well as look into the many other coffee shops we have.

I think to be good at real estate, you have to stick with it awhile, and know how to relate to the people and get them to buy. I do know of a few agents if you'd like me to give you their information.

I'm sorry if I missed something.

Good luck with everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area