U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 21,503 times

Advertisements

In our continuing quest to find the perfect place to live in Washington we are now considering Auburn as a potential place. I am working in Auburn so this seems a logical choice but I also want a place that is nice to live in. I see that the crime stats (both personal and property) are well above average in Auburn and this concerns me. Does anyone know if this is an unsafe place? Also, is it cute or quaint at all or does it have any nice downtown areas to walk around and shop/eat?

We are a couple in our late 20's and are looking for a place with a little bit of personality but also safe and with things to do. We are looking to rent an apt, not buy. I'm really looking to find out what the "feel" of this area is like. Any comments are greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 16,013,759 times
All smaller cities/towns do have some nice walking downtown areas with fun shops and restaurants. Therefore, almost any place you choose would have that type of "downtown". However, in Washington it can be hard to get almost anywhere if you don't have a car, so where you live could be anywhere, right?

I wouldn't describe downtown Auburn as "cute" or "quaint" -- not like, say, Preston or Snohomish. Auburn is generally blue-collar country and its downtown looks a little scruffy, expressing its working-class past.

If I were in your shoes, I would pay a lot of attention to those crime statistics... I'm sure there are folks who live in nice areas of Auburn who will post here that THEIR part of Auburn is a wonderful place to live, and it definitely is. But until you know areas very well and can pinpoint just those small locations, police sirens waking you up at 3:00 in the morning more than once in a blue moon might not be what you're looking for.

Here's a thought: if you choose to live NORTH of Auburn, you would: 1) generally get into a location with lower crime stats, and 2) do a reverse commute, which would be helpful regarding traffic, if your job stays in Auburn.

I don't remember offhand your specific plans, but I hope you're planning to RENT, not buy, when you first get here. Renting for six months will give you breathing room to learn what different locations look, sound and smell like, listen to what colleagues say, listen to the local newscasts in the evenings, and have a much more personalized, well-rounded basis for a decision.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 AM

57 posts, read 38,659 times
I just accepted a job in Auburn, I will be moving there very soon with 2 40lb family members: nice , quiet dogs. Very much better housemates than my kids were. Will I have a tuff time finding something reasonably priced and without extra pay on ongoing nonrefundable pet deposit?

Will we have place to walk (I got pooper bags)?

Anything I need to know about Auburn?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 AM

7,117 posts, read 5,815,459 times
You might explore living in Downtown Kent. It has a bit more personality, is an easy commute to Auburn and has the nice benefit of a commuter rail (The Sounder) to Downtown Seattle.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:14 AM

9,638 posts, read 24,977,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eselpee View Post
I just accepted a job in Auburn, I will be moving there very soon with 2 40lb family members: nice , quiet dogs. Very much better housemates than my kids were. Will I have a tuff time finding something reasonably priced and without extra pay on ongoing nonrefundable pet deposit?

Will we have place to walk (I got pooper bags)?

Anything I need to know about Auburn?
Auburn has nice places to walk. The White River trail goes for several miles. Game Farm Park is big. and Roegner Park has an off leash area.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:27 AM

7,117 posts, read 5,815,459 times
One of the benefits of Auburn is undeniably the ability to head easily out of town to the trailheads and majesty of Mt Rainier, and Crystal Mountain skiing nearby.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:21 PM

7,460 posts, read 6,151,590 times
If you are working in downtown Auburn, you also have the possibility of living in Tacoma and commuting via Sounder or express bus.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 PM

1,706 posts, read 573,812 times
I moved to the SE part of Auburn about 1.5 years ago and where I'm at, it is pretty safe. I'm in the Lakeland Hills area, which is basically a bedroom type of community. Kids play in the area and women walk/run into the evening hours. To date, I haven't any issues relating to any crimes in my immediate area... Besides a new neighbor partying pretty loadly outside last summer till 1am. And maybe a domestic issue where the police showed up... A neighbor told me that he forgot to lock his car and somebody had stolen the change and a pair of sunglasses.

Other than that, I truly think this part of Auburn is very safe. I'm a retired law enforcement officer that still works in the law enforcement field, so I know a thing or two about crime. Plus, several other law enforcement officers with marked police vehicles and without live in my neighborhood as well.

What's cool about this area is that people talk to each other WITHOUT being noisy or trying to get into your business. Nobody knew what I did for work until I had to come home in a hurry, while in uniform. Also, the area is ethnically mixed with with White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, straight and gay... Nobody cares and it appears that people also keep their political views to themselves since I haven't seen any policital or social issue signs in anybody's front yard in the neighborhood, which I like and as stated before, Auburn has deep blue-collar roots. Plus, in today's world, people are way too sensitive to different points of views.

I really like this area, but I'm sure there are nicer place too, but something to think about... If you are already in the area, I think it would be worth checking the area out since there are some house rentals and several apartment complexes in the area as well.

Good luck on your search!!

Old 08-20-2017, 03:28 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,488,930 times
Parts of Auburn are more like Tijuana. It does have some nice little places like Sun Break Cafe, Herfy's, etc. It's also centrally located with many routes for commuting in any direction.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:33 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,498,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
If you are working in downtown Auburn, you also have the possibility of living in Tacoma and commuting via Sounder or express bus.
Why commute from Tacoma and pay more rent than Auburn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area