Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:44 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,325,306 times

Advertisements

DestroyCreate:
Quote:
Given how compact and progressive Seattle is, it's astounding to me there wasn't a more cohesive transportation network years ago. How did such a major city get by with no other means than car?!
Is generally "progressive", but not necessarily was. The county has always been more conservative than the city and until the last decade or so held sway in county-wide elections.

How did we get by? Buses along with the extending of the I-5, SR-520, and I-90 freeways/bridges through/into Seattle from the 1960s through early 1990s. Voters rejected building a freeway along Lake Washington in Seattle (R.H. Thompson Expressway).

The Seattle-area does have one of the most extensive transit systems in the U.S. for a metropolitan area of its size. Metro Transit operates in King County and Sound Transit in a three-county region. As traffic congestion has continued to get worse, bus schedules have become more unreliable, especially in peak-time.

It is possible to live without a car in the closer-in neighborhoods, which are served by a network of electric trolleybuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:37 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,287,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
DestroyCreate: Search for "Forward Thrust". A 49-mile BART-type rapid-transit system failed at the polls in 1970, despite federal funds paying 3/4 of the cost, partly due to the beginnings of what would come to be the "Boeing Bust". Many of our traffic woes trace back to that penny-wise/pound-foolish decision.
It was on the ballot twice. First in 1968, then in 1970. Rejected twice. Voters can be incredibly dumb.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:44 PM

337 posts, read 493,602 times
They are a year early on the U District extension. Hopefully they can keep that pace up on the other extensions. There's talk of the U line opening next September and possibly as early as next April. We'll see if that works out.

I'm wondering if at some point light rail is going to completely encircle Lake Washington from Lynnwood/Bothell down to Renton. It really needs to hit Renton/Southcenter area, not having rail run from Sea-Tac to Southcenter was dumb in my opinion.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:15 PM

99 posts, read 611,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
They are a year early on the U District extension. Hopefully they can keep that pace up on the other extensions. There's talk of the U line opening next September and possibly as early as next April. We'll see if that works out.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that they're a year early. Original opening date was September 2016. As of last December, the project was trending toward an opening 6-9 months early, but that still doesn't push the date into 2015, let alone April 2015.

Most recent official information that I can find: Project update

Old 10-17-2014, 07:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,287,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post

I'm wondering if at some point light rail is going to completely encircle Lake Washington from Lynnwood/Bothell down to Renton. It really needs to hit Renton/Southcenter area, not having rail run from Sea-Tac to Southcenter was dumb in my opinion.
A lot of where light rail goes has less to do with where it needs to go, and more to do with who holds political power. They studied doing a rail extension from Burien to Sea-Tac Airport to Southcenter to Renton, but decided to do the Rapid Ride F line bus instead. Take a look at that schedule sometime. It doesn't get anywhere quickly. I guess they couldn't call it the " Slow as Molasses" line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area