Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 02:26 PM

11 posts, read 13,339 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what Halloween is like in Seattle? Visiting in-laws from Chicago and will be bringing the kids, so would like to know if it is a good environment at Halloween? Chi-town goes all out, decorations, etc. Is Seattle the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 05:23 PM

305 posts, read 449,859 times
It's usually pretty wet. Plan accordingly.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Some big Halloween costume parties for adults, while I know several people that hold house parties for their friends.

Families trick or treat in neighborhoods or shopping malls.

You know, basically like every other place on Halloween?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It seems like most of the enthusiasm for Halloween in Seattle is for young adults. Most of the trick or treating is in stores and malls, and in some of the quieter residential neighborhoods. In the suburbs to the east such as Issaquah and Sammamish there are yard displays and orange lights all over the place, we get 30-50 kids at our house depending on the weather.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:53 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It seems like most of the enthusiasm for Halloween in Seattle is for young adults. Most of the trick or treating is in stores and malls, and in some of the quieter residential neighborhoods. In the suburbs to the east such as Issaquah and Sammamish there are yard displays and orange lights all over the place, we get 30-50 kids at our house depending on the weather.
Halloween in Issaquah Highlands is truly top tier. Some streets see about 200+ kids. NE Park Dr (the main road in and out of the Highlands) gets especially busy towards Blakely Hall. One couple passes out wine to the adults, another passes out hot chocolate... there is a "witch" that dances on her (very elaborately) decorated porch as she passes out candy. I've seen teenagers turn themselves into zombie DJ's and turn their garages into a drop-in parties. Many open houses. I haven't visited all the neighborhoods here because there is enough just on Katsura, near where I live, but I've heard Dalia is amazing (which is typical for them). People drive up from outside the Highlands. We love it.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM

563 posts, read 1,786,683 times
make sure to bring your umbrella, winter coat, and gloves, etc.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:35 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
It's usually pretty wet. Plan accordingly.
I'd have to look at Weather Underground or other historical site, but offhand seems to me last few have been wet indeed. And/or cold, and definitely pitch-dark. The bit has flipped, on weather, in this general area right on schedule.

Some companies, bigger ones, have kids events too. My company does, turning the place into a (pleasantly mad)house after about 3PM on Halloween.

Not many treaters show up at my house, in suburbia Kirkland, but a few do for sure. Not like when I was a kid in Michigan, whereby Halloween was quite the pageant. Long time ago, though ('70s).

Old 10-27-2014, 08:37 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
It goes neighborhood to neighborhood. Do your in laws live in Seattle? I know some neighborhood south of Seattle go all out. There is a neighborhood in federal Way that takes there halloween seriously and everyyears its bustling. Or go to wealthier areas were they hand out larger candy bars!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Halloween in Issaquah Highlands is truly top tier. Some streets see about 200+ kids. NE Park Dr (the main road in and out of the Highlands) gets especially busy towards Blakely Hall. One couple passes out wine to the adults, another passes out hot chocolate... there is a "witch" that dances on her (very elaborately) decorated porch as she passes out candy. I've seen teenagers turn themselves into zombie DJ's and turn their garages into a drop-in parties. Many open houses. I haven't visited all the neighborhoods here because there is enough just on Katsura, near where I live, but I've heard Dalia is amazing (which is typical for them). People drive up from outside the Highlands. We love it.
Well, the cat's out of the bag. I didn't mention your area to save you from having to buy more candy when more people start driving up there! Better get back down to Target before Friday. . .

Old 10-29-2014, 10:09 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Well, the cat's out of the bag. I didn't mention your area to save you from having to buy more candy when more people start driving up there! Better get back down to Target before Friday. . .
Yes, it's insane up here, but only on the main routes or among single family homes. As a condo dweller I only get the kids that live in the condos or their friends... I probably see less kids than you.

I still need candy, but per tradition I will take the kids out of school an hour early, drive over to their dad's work and fill up on candy gifted by all those nicely paid high tech workers. We will partake on a few of our favorites then I put it all in a bowl at the front door, turn on the holiday lights and we go about our merry way. I'm a cheapskate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area