Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 04:08 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozelyn View Post
My husband and I had to be in seattle for a few days, my experience was not so great. Wow, we were definitely startled from all the honking! people are so impatient! I am definitely familiar with big cities -- I'm from San Jose! So, this is not a reaction from a small town citizen. My husband and I have are own style; I would not call it hipster, or label ourselves anything but ourselves. I say this because I can't stand how people think it is cool to be hipster! Stop running around trying to be a somebody, just be you. I also here that seattle has these so called "hipsters", that annoys me. We love the outdoors, theatre, art, etc. We have money (we do live in one of the most expensive cities), nice things, etc. I mentioned these things because on one forum, someone stated that all those things were necessary to "survive" in Seattle. I did not like the vibe I got from people. For me, Capital Hill was the worst! It is so beautiful, but the people there were so rude. I am not a social butterfly, nor do I stop to chat with others, but I am a nice person. I did not get the cool, laid-back vibe -- it was surprising considering it is a liberal, be free kind of place. Granted, I was only there for a week, so I may be wrong. I do, however, have an inkling that I'm right about Seattle. I always thought it was weird to form an opinion about a city based on a few experiences, but I felt the energy, it was not cool. We are all humans, we come from different places/backgrounds, but in the end, we should all be nice to one another.
Crapitol Hill is probably the most pretentious , uppity and unfriendly neighborhood in Seattle.. The arrogant and snobby attitude is hidden behind a facade of "gay-friendly", "diverse" and "progressive". Sadly, the area is anything, but that. Although, I feel gays in the neighborhood get some type of elite status that is quite superficial in nature. In reality, these people think loving gay people gives them a free pass to hate and treat the rest of humanity like garbage. Somehow, being gay friendly gives them the status of honorable humanitarians.

I am kind of liking West Seattle a bit and find Greenwood to be much more community-based and have more of the elements of the older, pre-invaded Northwest neighborhoods.

Seattle is a very pretentious and uppity city with a lot of arrogant and self-righteous people.. With that being said, it is a big city. I am starting to see a lot of the snobby and uppity people tend to be imports though who are out to prove themselves and make a name for themselves in the "BIG CITY". The original Seattle inhabitants were more down-to-earth and more like Portland people. Today, we have all these snobby yuppies and big city imports who brought their Californian and New YOrk egos with them. Basically, Seattle is becoming the worst mix of California North and New York West imaginable. The ultra liberal politics is also new to Seattle as the city was actually more of a libertarian nature like the rest of Washington before the fanatical liberal imports came to the Northwest to fix everything like the lady from India who now runs the town.

Anyway, I am feeling like knocking a few snobby pricks out when I go to these social mixers. How many arrogant self-righteous , know-it-alls do I have to be around in a single night? It seems like the number of these people are increasing exponentially every year. I remember when the Northwest was full of cool, relaxed hip guys and girls. They could be hippies, funky beatnick/hipster types or downright good ol boy rednecks, but they were decent folks and you could hang and enjoy their company. Not anymore!! Now, it is full of all these pompous jerks with overly inflated egos who are out to combat everyone around them about their intellectual dominance and prove the mediocrity of everyone else. It's more about bragging about yourself rather than communicating and sharing ideas. Also, I find these people to be very superficial and fake and put up some type of BS persona as they are too afraid to just admit they do defecate like the rest of us humans.

The only downside about some of the locals and one of the long-term flaws of native Northwesternerrs is the amount of alcoholism and drug addiction. This has been a problem in both Oregon and Washington, but even wiht the problems of alcoholism and drugs, I still prefer the company of the natives (that is long term PNW residents) then these snobby yuppie elitist scum.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 04-09-2015 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 04:14 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozelyn View Post
My husband and I had to be in seattle for a few days, my experience was not so great. Wow, we were definitely startled from all the honking! people are so impatient! I am definitely familiar with big cities -- I'm from San Jose! So, this is not a reaction from a small town citizen. My husband and I have are own style; I would not call it hipster, or label ourselves anything but ourselves. I say this because I can't stand how people think it is cool to be hipster! Stop running around trying to be a somebody, just be you. I also here that seattle has these so called "hipsters", that annoys me. We love the outdoors, theatre, art, etc. We have money (we do live in one of the most expensive cities), nice things, etc. I mentioned these things because on one forum, someone stated that all those things were necessary to "survive" in Seattle. I did not like the vibe I got from people. For me, Capital Hill was the worst! It is so beautiful, but the people there were so rude. I am not a social butterfly, nor do I stop to chat with others, but I am a nice person. I did not get the cool, laid-back vibe -- it was surprising considering it is a liberal, be free kind of place. Granted, I was only there for a week, so I may be wrong. I do, however, have an inkling that I'm right about Seattle. I always thought it was weird to form an opinion about a city based on a few experiences, but I felt the energy, it was not cool. We are all humans, we come from different places/backgrounds, but in the end, we should all be nice to one another.
Don't judge the city by one neighborhood. You could live in Seattle and not even know that hipster scene exists. It would be like going into the Mission District of SF 20 years ago, and forming an impression of SF as a city of Hispanics. It sounds like you didn't see much of Seattle.

I lived in Seattle for a few years, and didn't experience it as pretentious and uppity. To the contrary, in fact: mellow and down-to-earth. Maybe it's changed, but any implications that the entire city is pretentious and uppity, or hipster, or anything else, are bogus.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Don't judge the city by one neighborhood. You could live in Seattle and not even know that hipster scene exists. It would be like going into the Mission District of SF 20 years ago, and forming an impression of SF as a city of Hispanics. It sounds like you didn't see much of Seattle.

I lived in Seattle for a few years, and didn't experience it as pretentious and uppity. To the contrary, in fact: mellow and down-to-earth. Maybe it's changed, but any implications that the entire city is pretentious and uppity, or hipster, or anything else, are bogus.
Do you care to disclose when you lived in Seattle?? Yes, it has changed considerably, but depends on the neighborhoods as you said.. I grew up in Portland and have seen the city change for better and worst. I could easily say yeah Portland is so down-to-earth and easy going about 20 years ago. However, hanging in the Pearl District with all the snobs today you would have not known the area was a drug and gang infested industrial slum just 20 years earlier.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Anyway, I am feeling like knocking a few snobby pricks out when I go to these social mixers. How many arrogant self-righteous , know-it-alls do I have to be around in a single night?
Isn't it exhausting being miserable every single day? Don't you think your misery is self-fulfilling? Don't go. Avoid Seattle. Avoid these people who offend you so. I seriously doubt they will mind. If you're that unhappy, move to some place that makes you happy.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:17 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Do you care to disclose when you lived in Seattle?? Yes, it has changed considerably, but depends on the neighborhoods as you said.. I grew up in Portland and have seen the city change for better and worst. I could easily say yeah Portland is so down-to-earth and easy going about 20 years ago. However, hanging in the Pearl District with all the snobs today you would have not known the area was a drug and gang infested industrial slum just 20 years earlier.
When I lived in Seattle, it was in the U District (closer to Greenlake), and east of Northgate, in Victory Heights. I had friends in Maple Leaf, Magnolia and West Seattle. Nothing pretentious or uppity about any of those neighborhoods. Laurelhurst was always known for some pretentiousness. Oh yeah, and Seward Park on the edge of the Rainier Valley. Definitely not snobby, etc. Same with Greenwood. Montlake is also good.

I don't think you know Seattle as well as you'd like us to believe. It simply isn't possible to paint the entire city with one brush. That's just ridiculous. I'd be more inclined to say that any snobby people in town are scattered around the many neighborhoods. It's a rare neighborhood where they're concentrated, though that does exist.

If you want to meet good people, try contra dancing. Folk dancing, which I think is more up your alley, is hit-and-miss. It's a mixed crowd re: pretentiousness, etc. Contra dancing is a mellower crowd.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Isn't it exhausting being miserable every single day? Don't you think your misery is self-fulfilling? Don't go. Avoid Seattle. Avoid these people who offend you so. I seriously doubt they will mind. If you're that unhappy, move to some place that makes you happy.
NEWS FLASH... I don't live in Seattle, the city.. I am plenty happy where I am, which is far enough away from Seattle to not be stuck there, but close enough to go there when I need to. Are you the miserable person? Speak for yourself and stop being so judgmental with people who are critical of Seattle's social scene. Not everyone will like it, you just need to live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When I lived in Seattle, it was in the U District (closer to Greenlake), and east of Northgate, in Victory Heights. I had friends in Maple Leaf, Magnolia and West Seattle. Nothing pretentious or uppity about any of those neighborhoods. Laurelhurst was always known for some pretentiousness. Oh yeah, and Seward Park on the edge of the Rainier Valley. Definitely not snobby, etc. Same with Greenwood. Montlake is also good.
WHen did you live in Seattle and what makes these neighborhoods not pretentious? When was the last time you were here? Time frame really helps..

Quote:
I don't think you know Seattle as well as you'd like us to believe. It simply isn't possible to paint the entire city with one brush. That's just ridiculous.
And what makes you such an expert? I have lived in the Puget Sound area for around 3 years now and I currently live here. You live in California for who knows how long. Living in Seattle even 10 years ago cannot give you a deep understanding of the rapidly changing demographics of the area. As a matter of fact, they have now stated that a majority of Seattle neighborhoods are inhabited by transient people and many people only live in these neighborhood for a few years before moving onto another city as they follow their careers and paychecks, rather being aligned to their city, people and culture. Seattle is becoming very sterilized and overbuilt and has even changed from a few years ago when I first moved here.

Quote:
I'd be more inclined to say that any snobby people in town are scattered around the many neighborhoods. It's a rare neighborhood where they're concentrated, though that does exist.
You obviously haven't spent a lot of time in Crapitol Hill lately. Snobs of a different caliber. Inhabited by a good number of pretentious self-serving types who think their grungy clothing and tattoos gives them some type of cultural superiority. Of course, this is coupled in with the California yuppies invading the area with their snobby big city attitudes and narcissitic tendencies to be the center of attention. THey are the ones driving the fancy cars and designer clothes intermixed with the grungy types. Each are indoctrinated liberal, self-righteous and conceited types of personalities, but of different calibers.

Crapitol Hill is like San Francisco but without the old world charm or chutzpah that I found existed in San Francisco.

Quote:
If you want to meet good people, try contra dancing. Folk dancing, which I think is more up your alley, is hit-and-miss. It's a mixed crowd re: pretentiousness, etc. Contra dancing is a mellower crowd.
And what if you are not a dancer?? Yeah , folk music is great.. I actually enjoy good mellow Middle Eastern trance music with a techno twist.. Not the kind of thing you will find in most places in Seattle though.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 PM

104 posts, read 127,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSeattleBound View Post
Do you live in Seattle or its surrounding suburbs? If so do you think that the people there are snobby or rude?

The only reason I'm asking is because I was considering moving to Seattle. I was asking questions that anyone would ask when they are moving to a new city and I was giving some of my information too, like if I was a college graduate or not. Almost all of the answers I got were rude, snobby, and some were just down right mean. I know that not everyone in Seattle is like this. I've met with and spoken with people there that are the nicest, sweetest people. Unfortunately, the holier than thou people have outnumbered the nice ones. Just going by the attitudes I have faced on this and other Seattle forums, I'm not even sure if I want to move there anymore. I'm not being sensitive. I grew up with violent gangs on one side of me and white supremacist on the other side. Trust me I can take an insult. I know no matter where I go I WILL run into snobby, mean, and sometimes cruel people. No one can avoid it. I have just never in my life been one of those people that think they're better than everyone else. There is no such thing a title, rank, income level, or college degree that makes you better than anyone else to me. If you're a hard worker and a good person that's all that matters. I just basically don't want to waist my money and time going to a city where I'm just going to hate everyone there. I know for a fact that I can survive any situation and can work hard wherever I go. There's no doubt there. So, in your honest opinion, do Seattle people look down on others? If you live in Seattle and could move away from this, would you?
Tacoma and Everett people are not snobby - Seattle definitely has its share. But the metro overall is more blue collar and friendly than the city proper.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
Tacoma and Everett people are not snobby - Seattle definitely has its share. But the metro overall is more blue collar and friendly than the city proper.
Agreed!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:10 PM

64 posts, read 110,719 times
I met a lot of people who wanted to be elitist, but didn't have anything to be especially proud of. Most people I met only had a bachelor's degree, yet they thought very highly of themselves for being "college educated". Where I come from, I don't know ANYONE who doesn't have a bachelor's degree. That's like being very proud of the fact that you completed high school, or second grade!

They're extremely proud of their mid-level corporate positions. If you happen to be C-level or just make a lot of money, they get very jealous and insecure. They aren't looking to hang out with successful people, and they are fairly unambitious. They just want to be around people that affirm that their decision to be a mid-level corporate drone makes them better than the poor people a lot of them seem to have grown up around.

It's very strange to be looked down on and judged by people with no creativity or leadership abilities, who make a lot less money than you do. I realize money doesn't equal character, and I don't judge people based on that kind of thing but DAMN, those stuck-up losers treated me like trash because I didn't fit the exact mold of what they thought was successful...a BA in art history and a marketing position at Amazon, LOL! Everywhere else I have lived, if you can find a way to make lots of money you're considered cool, smart, and interesting, but not Seattle. The only people who treated me decently were actually the handful of millionaires I knew up there.

If I ever go back I would probably just stick to the east side, so I can be judged and scorned from across the water by those insecure losers. I find the 1% to be much less judgmental and money-obsessed than those sad saps. The blue-collar folks up there are also easy to get along with and seem like good people.

Last edited by FleeingSeattle; 05-14-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 12:23 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,295,169 times
FleeingSeattle, sorry it didn't work out. I have lived here 25 years, have some really down to earth and good friends. I meet people I don't like and people I do like. Isn't that life?

Just on my block (I live in a demographically mixed block in the Phinney Ridge/Greenwood area), there are a number of great people I really like: we sled together in the winter, have cookouts in the summer. There are Greg and Eliza right next door: she is a speech pathologist, he is in Nigeria doing documentary filmmaking about the rise of Boko Haram. Rick and Carlyn live across the street: he is retired head of Seattle libraries, she works in healthcare non-profit. Scott and Glorilynn live next door: she is a civil engineer from Hawaii, he mows the lawn cooks on the grill and is CFO of this little company called Starbucks. Krista lives down the street. She is a former professional opera singer and now gives music and vocal lessons in her home. Dave is from my home state of Florida and a really cool guy and fireman. Frank and Angie live across the street, I watch Seahawks games and drink beers with them, she works for a mortgage company I refer to sometimes, Frank specializes in checking alarms and smoke detection systems on large boats. John and Cedar live down the street, she is a nurse, John does consulting for non-profits in the educational field. I could go on and on, I have nice people all around.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 05-14-2015 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area