Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 8,404 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been wanting to move to the Seattle area for about 5 years now, but the timing and the money was never right...Things have recently been falling into place for us and we are hoping to move the Seattle area next year (late summer/early fall). We have some friends in the Queen Anne area who other than giving us a place to stay (they live in a small studio) want to help make the move in any way possible! They are finishing up college though, so as far as the job market they aren't very familiar, especially in my husband's field. So, I'm looking for some insight as to what my husband could expect salary wise in his field and what we could expect housing wise...

My husband is a welder with about two years experience and API (I think that's what it's called) certification in Stick and Flux (? I don't personally know what most of that means). He currently builds oil rigs, but is really open to anything that isn't terribly repetitive. right now he's working 50-70 hrs, but would prefer to stay under 60. Is the welding market thriving in Seattle? What could he expect salary wise? Is it possible for him to get a job while still living out of state? Here, it is virtually impossible because you have to be around to take multiple weld tests that can happen up to weeks after your initial interview.

As for housing we're pretty realistic. We currently live in the Columbus, OH area, so we expect a significant difference in overall cost of living, especially housing. For example, we are currently living in 3 br apartment (1100sq ft) above a garage (which we also rent) with a 35'x20' privacy fenced yard. We also do not pay extra for our 100lb Great Pyrenees. Now, even in our area that is pretty cheap. Most homes like ours are closer to $850-$900. I know a home of the same size is completely out of our range in Seattle... Ideally we would like to have a small 2br ( we only use about half the space we have anyway) that would allow us to keep our dog. We would prefer it to be an actual home (or duplex) w/a garage so my husband can use his tools and welding equipment. However, we are open to a 1br apt if that's what we can afford. Heck, we would even be open to a tiny house if the price and location were right! So, I guess what I'm asking is what price range are we looking at and is it something we could afford on a welders salary? I am a stay at home mom to a four year old. Also, school districts are not an issue as we plan to homeschool. We are open to pretty much any safe neighborhood and do not need anything fancy, new, or "updated". Our home now is a barn that was remodeled into an apartment and garage in the 70's...

I am also wondering if we would have better luck finding something cheaper and maybe an actual home for rent if we actually drove/walked through neighborhoods as opposed to online search? Like I said, we have friends in Seattle who would be happy to do the leg work for us since we are so far away.

Any thoughts and input would be appreciated. We are trying to lay the groundwork now to see if it would even be feasible for us to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 02:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
it is entirely possible that you'd have better luck driving/walking through the neighborhoods. Generally speaking, neighborhoods similar to or near Queen Anne are going to be pretty expensive for rentals, especially a house. Usually 1900 or more, but it's possible to stumble upon something cheaper sometimes. Living outside of the most desirable Seattle neighborhoods( or the city altogether) usually will result in lower rents, sometimes far lower. So it depends on whether you want to live in Seattle, or the Seattle area. You can live in Renton, or Mountlake Terrace, or Burien, and be in downtown Seattle in half an hour for far lower rents, but the tradeoff is that it's not the city, and it's not what some people want.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:33 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
If you don't mind living in a 1 bedroom (one that allows for 3 people and a dog), you might be able to find something in your price range... but I don't know how great of a set-up that would be for any of you and I don't know how many landlords would even allow it. It's good you have friends to help you that are already here because the rental market is super tight. They want first, last and security deposits... background check and usually paystubs to confirm employment. So first you need to think about coming up with $3k+ to get the lease, then there are the costs associated to moving and you really need to secure employment before heading over.

Feasible?
Heck yeah!

Wise?
Eh, I'm not convinced yet.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:47 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwesternBound View Post
As for housing we're pretty realistic. We currently live in the Columbus, OH area, so we expect a significant difference in overall cost of living, especially housing. For example, we are currently living in 3 br apartment (1100sq ft) above a garage (which we also rent) with a 35'x20' privacy fenced yard. We also do not pay extra for our 100lb Great Pyrenees. Now, even in our area that is pretty cheap. Most homes like ours are closer to $850-$900. I know a home of the same size is completely out of our range in Seattle... Ideally we would like to have a small 2br ( we only use about half the space we have anyway) that would allow us to keep our dog. We would prefer it to be an actual home (or duplex) w/a garage so my husband can use his tools and welding equipment. However, we are open to a 1br apt if that's what we can afford. Heck, we would even be open to a tiny house if the price and location were right! So, I guess what I'm asking is what price range are we looking at and is it something we could afford on a welders salary?
I'm confused! Are you talking about $850-$900 monthly rent, or are you saying these are $850,000-$900,000 homes?

Old 11-04-2014, 02:54 PM

314 posts, read 459,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I'm confused! Are you talking about $850-$900 monthly rent, or are you saying these are $850,000-$900,000 homes?
I think she forgot to include what her current rent is. The $850-$900 was clearly monthly rent for comparable properties. $850,000 - $900,000 for a house in Columbus would buy a mansion. And a second mansion.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
I think she forgot to include what her current rent is. The $850-$900 was clearly monthly rent for comparable properties. $850,000 - $900,000 for a house in Columbus would buy a mansion. And a second mansion.
Ah that makes sense. I guess that I initially assumed she was talking about 850-900 thousand dollar houses is a sure sign I've been living in Seattle a long time.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 PM

Sorry about that. Yes, I meant monthly rental, not home value. I think there are only a handful of homes within 15 miles of us worth $900,000! I did forget to add what we are paying now. We are only paying $650 a month right now and that includes water. It's a steal! I know we could never find a deal like that in Seattle, especially not for the room we have now. We're not looking for something comparable in size, or even price.

We are open to living in less desirable neighborhoods as long as they are safe and even outside the city. Right now we have to drive about 40 minutes to get to downtown Columbus.

We should have a significant savings by the time we move. Mostly I'm trying to see how much we would actually need to be making each month once we're there and if we could afford it on a welder's salary

Old 11-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwesternBound View Post
Sorry about that. Yes, I meant monthly rental, not home value. I think there are only a handful of homes within 15 miles of us worth $900,000! I did forget to add what we are paying now. We are only paying $650 a month right now and that includes water. It's a steal! I know we could never find a deal like that in Seattle, especially not for the room we have now. We're not looking for something comparable in size, or even price.
What is your budget, then?

Old 11-04-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
What is your budget, then?

If my husband's salary were roughly the same there, then we would like to stay around $800-$900. If it were higher, then we could go higher. That's why I was curious about average pay for a welder with his experience in the Seattle area.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:19 PM

731 posts, read 935,576 times
Unfortunately, I can't help you with the welding question.

Why is it your dream to move to Seattle? Funny enough, it's my dream to leave (lifer here). :-)

I'm just concerned that you will end up living in super uncomfortable conditions and losing money doing it. I'm not even sure you can find a 1 bdrm apt in the city that is $650, Especially with a dog. The news has been talking all day about how many renters are being forced to move because the rents are going up so quickly and so many can no longer afford their current rental.

My dad lives in Ecuador. When he came to visit me, he asked me to help him find a small 2 bdrm house for $850 that would accomodate his dogs. We figured out that he could maybe find that in Marysville (map that). Your husband's welding skills might be able to get him a job at Boeing, which is in Everett, so Marysville might not be out of the question.

Keep in mind that we had a little rain today, but no accidents and the commute from Everett to Seattle was still over 2 hours. This is a 30 minute drive without traffic. So number one, figure out where he is going to work before determining what part of town to live it.

I don't, however, think living in the city limits will work out well for you, unless you increase your income by a lot. It is estimated that rent (and mortgages for that matter) are about 50% of one's income here.

I would love to live in a really nice part of Southern California, but I fear that financially it would put my family into a really tough position and that just doesn't feel worth it. The only reason I live where I live is because I bought 11 years ago. There is no way I could afford my neighborhood now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area