Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 11:02 PM

301 posts, read 1,435,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
As I see it there are basically 3 options and I have no idea as to what the future holds...

Deflation... a situation like the 1930's in America where CASH is King and a little money goes a long ways.

Inflation... a situation that happened in Germany where CASH literally became almost worthless... it took bundles of money to buy very little and eventually it would buy nothing.

Neither... a situation where we just kind of bump along anemically without clear direction.
Right... to me, seemed like in your aunt's situation, it was inflation (and she was glad she had purchased something tangible). Carl seems to think you were favoring deflation. I agree though, it could go either way... and at this point, NO ONE really knows for sure. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something. (Dread Pirate Roberts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Economic & Revenue Outlook, Dr. Arun Raha, Chief Economist, Washington State

http://www.clallam.org/press/wp-cont...esentation.pdf

Slide 10. Wow.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:57 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Business & Technology | Home prices falling in Seattle and most major U.S. cities | Seattle Times Newspaper

WASHINGTON — Home prices are falling in most major U.S. cities, and at least 10 major markets, including Seattle, are at their lowest point since the housing bubble burst.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:12 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,221 times
It's pure and simple: It's called 'Supply and Demand'. When an ever increasing number of foreigners move to Seattle, demand for homes go UP simply because there are not enough homes for the demand. Right now people are litterally fighting each other to get into a $400,000 to $600,000 simply because that's the price 'affordable' homes are now. When you foreigners stop moving in here, demand will go down, and that's what will drive down the cost of homes. Only then will there be a housing collapse.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
It's pure and simple: It's called 'Supply and Demand'. When an ever increasing number of foreigners move to Seattle, demand for homes go UP simply because there are not enough homes for the demand. Right now people are litterally fighting each other to get into a $400,000 to $600,000 simply because that's the price 'affordable' homes are now. When you foreigners stop moving in here, demand will go down, and that's what will drive down the cost of homes. Only then will there be a housing collapse.
Dude, what planet are you from?
1. Most Seattle area houses are not 1920's homes in great shape in Ballard, Ravenna, Phinney, etc. Those houses are still fairly "hot", but even they are 15%+ less than they were four years ago. Yes, maybe your son or daughter got into a bidding war on a house in Ballard, but that doesn't mean that's what the entire real estate market is like. The average Seattle house is down 30% in value from what it was four years ago,and most local homes are staying on the market for about three months.
2. Are you a direct descendant of Chief Seattle? Otherwise, you're a foreigner.
3. Did you see this past Sunday's Seattle Times? A front page article states that Seattle is one of the whitest major cities in the country. do you think that most of the foreign born people in Seattle are rich, and outbidding the proud white natives for houses? Actually, most of the recent immigrants to Seattle born outside of the US living in Seattle are Hispanic( Mexican, Guatemalan, etc) or from Africa ( Ethiopian, Somali, Eritrea) or SE Asian( Lao, Cambodian, Vietnamese), and most of these folks don't make enough money to buy a home. Sure, some do, and good for them, but to suggest that foreigners are responsible for Seattle's high housing costs is about as valid as suggesting that I'm about to sprout wings and turn into a wasp.
4. Yes, the housing market has changed in Seattle. It's still much less affordable than it was 30 years ago. My landlord in 1979 offered me the rental house on 17th Ave E ( Capitol Hill, behind Group Health) for 36 thousand dollars. I told him he was nuts, that nobody would ever give him THAT much for the house. But the housing market has changed a lot in the last 3 1/2 years. For most houses and most parts of the city, people aren't fighting over houses and getting into bidding wars, and a lot of houses in Seattle are seeing huge price declines.
5. If you have to blame someone for high housing prices, how about Bill Gates? There are more high paying jobs in Seattle than there were 30 years ago, and it seems to me that the house prices are not simply a reflection of what the median income wage earner can afford, but higher earners having an inordinate influence.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,221 times
To us Seattlites, a 'foreigner' is somebody from LA, Boston or New Yourk that shouldn't be here and are the ones causing the prices to go UP.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
To us Seattlites, a 'foreigner' is somebody from LA, Boston or New Yourk that shouldn't be here and are the ones causing the prices to go UP.
Seriously? When did your progenitors move to Seattle? Last I learned in my constitutional law class, no state could make rules that favored native born state residents over other American citizens moving to the state. What is your moral authority for claiming that "somebody from LA, Boston, or New Yourk [sic] shouldn't be here"?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:52 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
Quote:
Gee, Vinylly, what happened to "land of the free"???

Old 04-27-2011, 11:53 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Quote:
Utter nonsense. The market numbers don't bear out your amusing and incorrect contention.

BTW, if you are on CAPITOL HILL, may I suggest correcting the spelling on your Location? Doesn't make you look very bright...ummm...uh....yeah.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,738 times
I THOUGHT we had touched bottom back in May 2009 when the prices flattened for a while, so I decided to buy. It was Obama's policies that caused an artificial slowdown in the freefall, misleading me into thinking it was a good time to buy. Since then, I am $50,000 in the hole. Not only that, but thanks to stupid wording on the part of the government, I was not able to qualify for any home buyer credits whatsoever!

I hope I never have to move, as I think I'm stuck in this house forever now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area