U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:15 PM

279 posts, read 435,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Well, isn't this such a faaabulous post...

Great for you. I'm glad you've found Seattle to be such an accommodating home.

I'm appreciative of the Freeze. I don't like superficial chit-chat so please don't try talking to me while I'm buying groceries or coffee. Serve me my short drip, no room and move on to the next-in-line.
Sounds like your related to Elsa from Frozen! okay... I'm just kidding! But, maybe you should lighten up!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Now THIS is a fun post . . .
yes it is!! love all the different opinions!

Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I already congratulated you and said I'm happy it worked out for you. What more do you want, a Nobel Prize?

a gold star!

Old 11-12-2014, 01:56 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,860,556 times
Please go to the freezer and get your Dad a Raspberry Freezee!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM

8,114 posts, read 7,171,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
Sounds like your related to Elsa from Frozen! okay... I'm just kidding! But, maybe you should lighten up!
Elsa: A regal, poignant and complex character that places duty above self (until she brakes of course..).... modestly sexy and can carry a note.... Heck yeah

I'm actually pretty happy with myself. I should just be me. We just won't be having conversations in the Starbuck's line.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:32 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,882,656 times
Maybe Seattle just has b¡tchy resting face.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:40 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,394,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
I'm sure I'm gonna get a dozen or so people that sit behind their computers and completely disagree with me. But I truly believe that the Seattle freeze is an urban legend and is absolutely fake! So for anyone that disagrees with me. I will be happy to give you social lessons.

My experience is that Seattle is one of the friendliest places that I have been in the United States. I bought my house in April. I was here for two weeks in July and moved here permanently August 15th. So cumulatively I have lived here for 3 months and 2 weeks. With that being said.... I have made friends with four couples and 3 single guys. The couples I have met were not friends with each other. So it wasn't a situation where I met one and was introduced to the rest. But since we met I have had them all over and they have all met. Which is a total blast! I am totally friendly with my daily people that I run into such as Bankers, Waiters, grocery store people, etc. So much to the point that I have run into a few of them out and about and they have approached me to say hello. That doesn't seem very FREEEEZY to me.

I think the big difference is this....
I am an initiator! I make things happen in my life. I make things happen in others lives as well. So, if you are the type of person to wait for people to come to you. Then I believe you will experience the Seattle Freeze in full effect. But that would be the same anywhere you go in life. However, if you want to change your views on the Seattle freeze I would suggest that you change YOUR personality and not blame it on the area. All you have to do is be friendly. Say "hello" to people! Now with that being said..... I CHALLENGE YOU!

MY CHALLENGE:
I challenge each and everyone of you that has experienced this freeze to make an effort to break it. Say "Hello" and start a conversation with someone. When you are at Starbucks or your local coffee place and they ask for your name to write on the cup. Ask them what their name is! Then say hello! When you are at the grocery store say "hello" and talk to the grocery checker. Give them a compliment and ask them how their day is going. My point is this... You are the person in charge of your own world. If you want people to interact with you.... Then you start the conversation. You be the first one to say something. It truly works. Try building relationships with everyone you run into. Say "hello" and give a compliment! Do it with everyone you meet. You might find some people that don't respond. But, don't give up. Talk to the next person. I promise you that you will find a huge difference in your life. Not only are you making a huge difference in your life. But you are passing it on to others and starting a chain of people being friendly.

Seattle is a great city and the people are amazing. It's up to you to be a part of this amazing city! Get involved. You'll be so happy you did.

David
I just got back from Seattle. And let me preface this by saying I LOVE Seattle. The weather, views, layout, etc. Awesome. And after stating I am about to state, I'd still move there if possible.

I am very outgoing and I tried to talk to a lot of people. Some were polite but not necessarily engaging in the manner I am use to. Others did not want to engage at all (this is to be expected anywhere). But most noteably, what struck me most was the ultra drummed down look and energy everywhere we went. The coffee shop we went to was packed but dead silent. My GF and I even laughed when a patron tried to make small talk with the Barista and received literally no response. Felt like a sterile library, and this was on Capitol Hill, the "alternative/young" area. In other places people didn't look - what's the word - "vibrant" or happy. Most people looked away when I made eye contact. To me it feels like an EXTREMELY hard place to meet people. The whole social vibe in Seattle seems forced and awkward. You can talk about dumb surface level stuff in a very generic manner, but even then you get shut down if it exceeds what seems like a predetermined limit of "friendliness". By the end of my trip I honestly began to question whether I was acting strange, if it was me.

I think the Freeze is real. But it could probably be overcome by befriending other transplants I imagine. Glad to be back in Sac fot the time being though where I cannot get people to stop talking to me everywhere I go. I like that extreme better.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Elsa: A regal, poignant and complex character that places duty above self (until she brakes of course..).... modestly sexy and can carry a note.... Heck yeah

I'm actually pretty happy with myself. I should just be me. We just won't be having conversations in the Starbuck's line.

Love your response!!!! Totally made me laugh. Ok no talking in line for you!!!

Old 11-12-2014, 03:52 PM

660 posts, read 911,679 times
Default Truth!

Well said NewbiePoster -- most of the good friends that I managed to make were in my graduate program at Seattle University; studying together for 7 years kind of makes you bond. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I pretty much agree with this. OP says it is what you make of it, and he chooses to make it fun, etc. Well, so do a lot of people choose to be the fun, outgoing type, but they're met with cold shoulders. Just bc you choose to be friendly doesn't mean you'll get the response you want.

I started out in Seattle as a university student. I made a few friends in my program there, who I stayed friends with until a couple of 'em moved back to their home state. But none of those friends displayed the lack or reciprocity and flakiness that people on this forum tend to complain about. But I figure, that was bc we bonded as students, and those bonds held. Try to get something like that going with people after they're in the work force and kinda have their own lives, and it's harder. Not really sure why that would be, but it is. In Seattle, anyway. I'm from California, and eventually moved back there, and I've never had any trouble talking to people in public, or making friends who acted like friends and reciprocated invitations and were happy to hang out on weekends, and all that normal stuff that becomes alien when you're in the Seattle environment.

But more power to you, OP. Just don't assume that bc it's easy for you, that there's no such thing as the Freeze. If it didn't exist, people wouldn't have named it and wouldn't be discussing it all the time. Try to have a little compassion. It's not for lack of trying that people get Frozen out.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:59 PM

660 posts, read 911,679 times
Default The Debate

Great analysis sacite! There is also actual "data" . . .

Study confirms ‘Seattle Freeze’ is real and rampant | Q13 FOX News

Is The Seattle Freeze A Real Thing? | KUOW News and Information

Is the 'Seattle Freeze' real? Data from this Tinder-like app for networking says yes - GeekWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I just got back from Seattle. And let me preface this by saying I LOVE Seattle. The weather, views, layout, etc. Awesome. And after stating I am about to state, I'd still move there if possible.

I am very outgoing and I tried to talk to a lot of people. Some were polite but not necessarily engaging in the manner I am use to. Others did not want to engage at all (this is to be expected anywhere). But most noteably, what struck me most was the ultra drummed down look and energy everywhere we went. The coffee shop we went to was packed but dead silent. My GF and I even laughed when a patron tried to make small talk with the Barista and received literally no response. Felt like a sterile library, and this was on Capitol Hill, the "alternative/young" area. In other places people didn't look - what's the word - "vibrant" or happy. Most people looked away when I made eye contact. To me it feels like an EXTREMELY hard place to meet people. The whole social vibe in Seattle seems forced and awkward. You can talk about dumb surface level stuff in a very generic manner, but even then you get shut down if it exceeds what seems like a predetermined limit of "friendliness". By the end of my trip I honestly began to question whether I was acting strange, if it was me.

I think the Freeze is real. But it could probably be overcome by befriending other transplants I imagine. Glad to be back in Sac fot the time being though where I cannot get people to stop talking to me everywhere I go. I like that extreme better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area