U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,395,066 times

Advertisements

Ya I can almost guarantee it is a real phenomena. To be fair, I am a bay area native and SF can be extremely standoffish or even rude too. But SF also has a certain vibrancy or energy that makes you feel it's ok to be yourself out in public. In Seattle it kinda feels almost repressive. I could have sworn people craned their heads to look at me in the coffee shop for speaking to, loud? I don't know, maybe one gets use to wherever they are. But something just felt a lil' "off" to me in a lot of places we went. Even in the public market people were surprisingly unwilling to make any eye contact or interact.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:10 PM

7,751 posts, read 14,662,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post

I think the Freeze is real. But it could probably be overcome by befriending other transplants I imagine. Glad to be back in Sac fot the time being though where I cannot get people to stop talking to me everywhere I go. I like that extreme better.
I don't know why the Seattle Freeze is always blamed on the Natives. Majority of the Natives I know are the outgoing, fun types. Seattle is essentially 70% transplant, 30% native; by this line of thinking, the Seattle Freeze culture should be just about negligible.

As friendly as I am, admittedly I do have a b#### resting face, I probably helped the cause. Sorry.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM

909 posts, read 1,542,468 times
Agree with OP.

Maybe the Freeze is real, who knows. I guess I've just been fortunate enough to not encounter, or encounter very little of it in my 9+ years here.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:54 PM

91,008 posts, read 87,702,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Maybe Seattle just has b¡tchy resting face.
lol! You could be on to something. Those of us who didn't grow up in Seattle should just look past it, and try to be understanding? It almost makes sense.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:16 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,474,319 times
Super thread.

I have had the easiest time ever making friends in Seattle in my little over 4 years here. These days I have to ignore calls (something I hate doing) in order to spend more time on myself, improve my residence, and figure out how to make a better income in order to afford Bellevue rent. If anything, I want there to be a Seattle freeze for the next few months.

In the peak of winter (mid-Dec to mid-Feb) in the midwest, I would rarely go out during weekdays after work. Seattle's lack of snow gives in a 2 month edge every year in terms of time you get for entertainment and socialization.

Lot easier to walk in 40 degree moderate rain then 10-20 degree anything. And I love not having to scrape my windshield ice three times a day.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:52 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,185,993 times
I'm not sure on the freeze thing. I have made quite a few friends here. The people who I have issues with are transplants that have been here for a while. Actually my closest friends are from here and they are rock solid salt of the earth people.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:22 PM

660 posts, read 911,808 times
Default Bone-Chilling

After 13 years of living in Seattle, and a total of 20 being associated with it, I can say that the endless gray skies and windy/40 degree/misty days feel almost as cold as Winter in the Northeast; it's a damp "bone-chilling" cold to me, which made me want to stay inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Super thread.

I have had the easiest time ever making friends in Seattle in my little over 4 years here. These days I have to ignore calls (something I hate doing) in order to spend more time on myself, improve my residence, and figure out how to make a better income in order to afford Bellevue rent. If anything, I want there to be a Seattle freeze for the next few months.

In the peak of winter (mid-Dec to mid-Feb) in the midwest, I would rarely go out during weekdays after work. Seattle's lack of snow gives in a 2 month edge every year in terms of time you get for entertainment and socialization.

Lot easier to walk in 40 degree moderate rain then 10-20 degree anything. And I love not having to scrape my windshield ice three times a day.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:49 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,863,591 times
I'm not sure on the freeze thing. I have made quite a few friends here. The people who I have issues with are transplants that have been here for a while. Actually my closest friends are from here and they are rock solid salt of the earth people.

kaday-your comments about wondering about the transplants touch on what I'm thinking is the real problem. Perhaps the transplants are going through some SAD problems with the weather or something? I was born in Seattle, raised in Edmonds, and my career has me in Alamogordo, NM. It appears I'm wanted by a Sleep Medicine Clinic in Moses Lake, I'm waiting for the airplane arrangements to come visit them, so I've got all kinds of weird feelings going on right now about my homeland. I like it down here in the desert, but, you know, Moses Lake might be a good way ta transition back to Washington state. Cold in the winter in ML and probably grey in the winter a lot, but summers are warm and sunny.

But I don't think native western Washingtonians are out to "freeze" anyone out, look at other threads on here. Could be Skanda-huvians who are reserved just a bit. But once ya get to know them they'll be your best friends. There's a lot of us in the Pacific NW and the Seattle region, don'tcha know.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:15 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,395,066 times
Every place has a different culture, and I am not sure why some people fight the notion of it so hard. I lived in eastern WA for 9 yrs after growing up in CA and I can guarantee you 100% that the social interaction is dramatically different in each place. Everything from what is considered "TMI" to how various ethnicities are perceived was different. Whether that is "good" or "bad" ultimately depends upon who you are and your general personality traits.

I also believe one's perception of any area is influenced dramatically by their own experience. If yiu make one or two great friends in any place you may end up with a whole lot of positive experiences and memories that do not necessarily accurately represent the culture as a whole. For examole, in college I lucked out by befriending a waiter that seemed to know the entire campus. He threw parties in where 150+ people would show up. I made a ton of friends throygh him that I otherwise would not have made. In truth, objectively speaking, my U was very cliquish and probably not all that fun for a lot of other students. This was something I always acknowledged, and I am still grateful for making such awesome, outgoing friends who shaped my experience.

Seattle is prob the same. I am sure - no, positive - it is different from other places. If you meet the right people (sounds like the OP did) it is probably an amazing place. So much to do, so beautiful. If you do not, I could definitely understand the freeze contingent.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:22 AM

64 posts, read 102,293 times
Generally I have found that people are pretty respective and appreciative when you pay attention to them here. Which is nice because you get to choose who you interact with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area