U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 04:27 PM

290 posts, read 404,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
You can tell when the S.A.D. settles in as threads/posts like this about socializing in Seattle start popping up...

It must be unendurable at times to always see all that grey, all that misty wetness one has to go several thousands of miles away to escape it. I know, I used to live there.

Though not as cold or as isolated as Alaska, there they too must endure drabness and fellow loners too 'chill' to conduct a conversation. Congratulations on doing your best to escape such creeping dread by blowing sunshine up our collective _______s!
Ha! I know, isn't it hilarious?? I don't even live there anymore, and I can tell the exact week rainy season starts by browsing the new threads on this forum!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM

261 posts, read 180,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Ha! I know, isn't it hilarious?? I don't even live there anymore, and I can tell the exact week rainy season starts by browsing the new threads on this forum!
What is even more hilarious are the perpetual boosters of a place like Seattle getting incensed because those who left still have interests there and may input opinions on a public forum? Perhaps if you don't like that you could simply not respond or start a private forum moaning in dancing ecstasies to all the white-wash Seattle has to offer to those who know it is just as great a place as any other desirable place to live? Or leave, as many aloof Seattleites of a smaller mind tend to tell those who dare critique their soggy paradise? Or perhaps some people can't stand the fact that not everyone agrees with their views?

Whatever. I long ago spotted those who are intolerant and that is but one reason Seattle isn't a place for me, money be damned, the itchy adoption of trendy social causes be damned, too. For all the pretty words describing pretty communes 'by the people, for the people', the Seattleites of yesteryear are very narrow and closed 'bout anything which may perturb that WASPy community-by-executive-committee atmosphere it clings to as they're to afraid of change. Well, the town isn't in Scandinavia nor any longer a sheltered American backwater. Adjust accordingly or sulk in misery. The weather up there is perfect for the latter, no?

FYI, I was in Seattle this year from mid-September to the first week of November. The only thing visibly altered in the 2 years since to my last visit with the native Seattleites' scared aloofness (aka 'freeze') is that people are more conscious of their silly social fears but it is ingrained so will take time to change.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:00 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,771,232 times
Go to the freezer and get your Dad a raspberry freezee!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:23 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,864,000 times
Here's an interesting tidbit from wiki:

"Seattle has a relatively high number of people living alone. According to the 2000 U.S. Census interim measurements of 2004, Seattle has the fifth highest proportion of single-person households nationwide among cities of 100,000 or more residents, at 40.8%"

Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps that supports the idea that there's a 'Seattle Freeze'?

Old 02-14-2015, 09:07 AM

3,354 posts, read 6,276,025 times
I've said this before, and I fervently believe it. The "Seattle Freeze" comes down to frustrated extroverts not understanding how introverts function. For whatever reason, and I have my own theories, the PNW seems to attract introverted people, and introverts find their comfort zone in quietness and solitude, not in socialization. Small talk stresses and tires introverts out. Extroverts interpret this as rudeness and aloofness. They need an explanation for it, and the "Seattle freeze" is born.

Laugh it off if you want, but Es and Is have a fundamentally different way of looking at and interacting with the world, and that can lead to a lot of misunderstandings between people. I've seen friendships and relationships fall apart over this difference, between people who were otherwise perfectly compatible -- but the Es and Is would put expectations on each other that the other person couldn't deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area