Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,609 times

Advertisements

Hi All;

My husband and I are potentially moving to Seattle from the East Coast. Having lived in both urban and suburban areas we want to be near restaurants, theaters, and shopping. We would like to be within 15 minutes of South Lake Union or even in it. We are foodies, have a small dog and like to exercise. We would be open to apartment or loft living, townhome rowhouse or single homes are also okay if near the amenities we want. Any suggestion for areas to live in or specific buildings would be greatly appreciated. A two bedroom with at least 1000+ sq feet is preferable. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 12:04 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
If a foodie, I'd say Ballard:

1. Lots of restaurants, from cheap eats to culinary experiences.
2. Lots of stores/shops, including grocery (4), gen. mercantile, pharmacies, and numerous other shops.
3. Majestic Bay Theatre in Ballard, numerous other theatres reachable on a direct bus ride (Wallingford, U District, Lower Queen Anne, Downtown), incuding independent/foreign.
4. Walking/Bike path from west Ballard to Shilshole Marina/Golden Gardens Park (beach) and from east Ballard to Fremont/U District and beyond.
5. Lots of transit options: #44 (Wallingford/U District), #40 (Fremont/South Lake Union/Downtown), D-Line (Seattle Center/Downtown), #28 (Fremont/Downtown), #29 (Queen Anne/Seattle Center/Downtown), #15x/17x/18x (Downtown).

Restaurants Ballard, Seattle, WA
Best Ballard Restaurants - Seattle
https://www.google.com/maps/search/b.../data=!3m1!4b1

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 11-20-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 12:30 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
I would second Ballard. It is a no brainer for your criteria.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:44 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,525 times
I'd look at SLU itself, the closer to the lake the better, but also Belltown and the Denny Regrade. There is plenty of exercise area around the south shore of Lake Union, a big Whole Foods on Westlake (on the trolly line) and a small off-leash area in Denny Park. And of course plenty of places to eat, and more every day.

Lower Queen Anne is also a good option - straight down Mercer to SLU. More "everyday" commercial there too - groceries, shops, etc.

But price and tenancy are questions - buying? renting? Price point?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:50 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
Really? Ballard? As nice a neighborhood as it is, it is 5 miles away across a bridge... Not 15 minutes away or "even in it" with respect to South Lake Union. Ballard also has a younger vibe, though maybe that is something these empty nesters wouldn't mind.

Belltown would be my recommendation. Urban and right smack downtown but with Pike Place next door and the parks along the Sound. South Lake Union itself is another fine option but with less green space nearby. Further away I would look at Queen Anne and Capitol Hill.

Last edited by fnh; 11-20-2014 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 01:23 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Ballard does have "a" younger crowd but there are a lot of others as well. It definitely feels older than Capitol Hill or Belltown. It's fairly popular with people working in SLU, where the distance is offset a bit by the overwhelming abundance of amenities. It's grown so much, I barely even notice new 100+ unit buildings going in any more.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:45 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
OK, I suppose I mean to say Ballard is lots more families and casual young singles while Belltown and SLU have more urbane young professionals and empty nesters who can afford to live downtown. At least that's how it strikes me. Queen Anne and Capitol Hill are each a bit of everything, depending on where you are in those areas, but are still within 15 minutes of SLU while offering an array of entertainment and dining.

I have nothing against Ballard but the OP specifically asks for a zero to 15 minute commute... Hence my surprise at Ballard being recommended not once but twice.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
If you are a real foodie (in the eating out sense of the word) you do not move to Seattle in the first place!!
Only in Seattle Tom Douglas can pass as a great chef....

Old 11-20-2014, 02:07 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
I live on the NW slope of Cap Hill, near Belmont & Republican, and I think I could walk to SLU in 15 minutes. Volunteer park, and north Cap Hill (lovely old houses) are just to the north (for taking walks), and all the action of Pike/Pine is to the south, but conveniently out of earshot. DT and Belltown are a <$10 cab ride if you want to hit some of the restaurants there. However, there are over a dozen restaurants just within a 3 block radius of where I live - everything from cheap eats to high brow, and that doesn't even scratch the surface of what's within walking distance. There are also nice grocery stores, nice coffee shops, a year-round farmer's market, decent gym, yoga studios, and anything else you could want an easy walk away.

I have never found another neighborhood with both the conveniences and luxuries as close by as this one. It also has easy freeway access for when we want to head out hiking/skiing, on a road trip, etc.

Ballard is neat too, but it doesn't have nearly as much stuff as Cap Hill, and you have to cross a bridge to get there which usually means you sit, and sit, and sit during rush hour. Whereas Cap Hill has the back way down the hill, right into SLU, or you can just walk if you live west of Broadway. We also like upper Queen Anne - lived there for a bit, but it also didn't have as much as Cap Hill, and you had to make it through the Mercer Mess to get out of it - which sucked so bad that it's the main reason we eventually moved.

We also lived in the NW part of DT - near Olive and 8th, and that was also a fantastic neighborhood that fits your criteria. Why we ended up moving up the hill to Cap Hill was that it lacked any quiet, residential areas to go walking, and it was more of a business area with places to live - not much of a neighborhood feel to it.

Best wishes with your choice!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
Fremont is also not too bad for foodies and not far from SLU.

SLU kind of sucks for foodies...there are a few decent places here and there (serious pie, portage bay, flying fish, etc.) but i wouldn't actually consider any of those places really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: