Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:37 PM

271 posts, read 424,603 times

Advertisements

this is x-posted but i'm having a hard time figuring out what to wear to my husband's company's holiday party. it's at night in a hotel. any ideas? am i supposed to be really dressed up? can i get away with wearing slacks/nice top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 12:13 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,505,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
this is x-posted but i'm having a hard time figuring out what to wear to my husband's company's holiday party. it's at night in a hotel. any ideas? am i supposed to be really dressed up? can i get away with wearing slacks/nice top?
I think anything goes here. To be safe with work stuff I always go with a simple long ankle length dress (black 3/4 sleeve cotton with boots casual by my East Coast standards). Tonight I went to a holiday party at our boathouse (rowing). Its a casual athletic group and I was surprised to see some people pretty dressed up. On the flip side this summer at a wedding people were wearing jeans. I think going business always works.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:42 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,417,986 times
slacks/nice top is fine.

some guys will wear jackets but some IT guys will also be in jeans...

Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,614,521 times
Does msft even do holiday parties??? My husband is at a respectable level and we've never done one.... but maybe that's because I typically look for any excuse not to attend events of that nature....

Old 11-22-2014, 10:33 AM

Yes, but it's not a full company-wide party...it's each team (as least that's what my friends say).

Old 11-22-2014, 02:18 PM

73 posts, read 118,718 times
I went to Amazon's holiday partner last year, my significant other and I wore jeans and nice tops. Lots of people were dressed like us, and lots were dressed up more (i.e. dresses, slacks). I think it all depends on corporate culture and personal preference. Is there anyone on the team you can ask?

Old 11-22-2014, 02:48 PM

271 posts, read 424,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky_alex View Post
I went to Amazon's holiday partner last year, my significant other and I wore jeans and nice tops. Lots of people were dressed like us, and lots were dressed up more (i.e. dresses, slacks). I think it all depends on corporate culture and personal preference. Is there anyone on the team you can ask?
my husband just started so he doesn't know anyone and he's really not the type to say "hey coworker, so what's the fashion style like at these holiday parties?" lol... he doesn't really care. he thinks i should just wear whatever . honestly he's not like trying to schmooze or climb the corporate ladder. it's just my own curiosity that led to this question.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:53 AM

amazon's party always has people wearing jeans and a t-shirt up to people wearing suits. most people are somewhere in between where they wear slacks and a button up shirt. amazon has a post-holiday party so it's usually in january.

i'm usually a mellow guy but i actually got into a fight last year (or technically it was early this year) at the amazon party...lol.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:12 AM

6,031 posts, read 6,084,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
amazon's party always has people wearing jeans and a t-shirt up to people wearing suits. most people are somewhere in between where they wear slacks and a button up shirt. amazon has a post-holiday party so it's usually in january.
And, to OP's point, that's the thing about tech in the PacNW: a confusing variety of people, from near-zero fashion etiquette to those who dress quite well indeed for holiday parties.

I recall a peer attending the Xmas party back in the dot com days wearing a Donald Duck shirt. He was an odd duck (indeed!) but brilliant. I only remember because a couple of us rolled our eyes and hugged the guy anyway, he was great.

Personally, I'd never set foot in one without a shirt, tie, sport coat, and nice slacks plus the other details. I've informed my dates what I'll be wearing, to set the tone for them, too: for ladies, then, it's always been nice dress and etc.

Letting my personal bias creep in, I definitely would "not" attend such a thing casual, nor expect my date to do-same. As others mentioned on-thread, though: some do, and that's great for them as-well.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,614,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
Yes, but it's not a full company-wide party...it's each team (as least that's what my friends say).
Yes, that's pretty consistent with what I've seen. We'e done the Remlinger Farms family event a couple of years... the annual acknowledgement that families are more than a theoretical concept. I give a nod, from a nice physical distance, to the other directors and senior program managers -my acknowledgement for paying the bills- and then I'm off picking berries again.

I haven't owned heels in 3 years.

We are truly lucky to live in such a place and the workers are quite fortunate to have gainful employment in an industry that doesn't give all that much importance to how one looks.... I don't know if Steve Jobs was the one to cement the acceptance, but the family wardrobe budget is a lot slimmer for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area