Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:34 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Back before Whole Foods was popular, Haggen was the store just below the top - which at the time was Larrys.

How they're positioned now is probably going to depend on the neighborhood. Some of the Safeways are kind of ghetto, it's hard to see them moving up to a position just below Whole Foods.
Larry's modeled themselves as an upscale version of Haggen.

Here are lists of the stores that will be divested by Safeway and Albertson's:

http://www.albertsons.com/wp-content...yStoreList.pdf
http://www.albertsons.com/wp-content...StoreList1.pdf

The WA Safeway locations Haggen will be buying: Everett, Gig Harbor, Liberty Lake, Oak Harbor, Port Orchard, Renton, Tacoma, Shoreline.

The WA Albertson's locations Haggen will be buying: Olympia, Tacoma (2), Federal Way, Bremerton, Burien (2), Seattle (Bothell Way), Milton, Monroe, Port Angeles, Puyallup, Renton, Redmond, Silverdale, Snohomish, Walla Walla, Wenatchee, Tacoma (S. 38th St.).

Notice a pattern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 04:32 PM

262 posts, read 307,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
There is one in Woodinville. It took over another grocery store earlier this year (Top Foods?)

I like it. They have a nice bakery and stuff like that. The quality is a little better than Safeway and Albertsons although not quite Whole Foods / Whole Paycheck level.

Top Foods is a Haggen store. I don't know why there are two names for their stores.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Larry's modeled themselves as an upscale version of Haggen.

Here are lists of the stores that will be divested by Safeway and Albertson's:

http://www.albertsons.com/wp-content...yStoreList.pdf
http://www.albertsons.com/wp-content...StoreList1.pdf

The WA Safeway locations Haggen will be buying: Everett, Gig Harbor, Liberty Lake, Oak Harbor, Port Orchard, Renton, Tacoma, Shoreline.

The WA Albertson's locations Haggen will be buying: Olympia, Tacoma (2), Federal Way, Bremerton, Burien (2), Seattle (Bothell Way), Milton, Monroe, Port Angeles, Puyallup, Renton, Redmond, Silverdale, Snohomish, Walla Walla, Wenatchee, Tacoma (S. 38th St.).

Notice a pattern?
Why don't you tell us the pattern instead of leaving us to guess?

It looks to me like Haggen is mostly being relegated to the hinterlands in this deal by the DOJ. If I were Haggen I would have wanted locations in Bel-Red-Kirk-Issaquah, Seattle, Lake Forest Park, Newcastle, Renton, etc. They do get a store in Redmond, Shoreline, and Renton. If I were a Haggen exec I don't think I would be thrilled with this deal from the DOJ.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:45 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,432,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
Top Foods is a Haggen store. I don't know why there are two names for their stores.
I guess what they did in Woodinville is renovate the Top Food store and then rebrand it as Haggen. The old Top Foods was ok but pretty dated.

RVD.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Quote:
Because they're not the same store. They just have the same ownership. Safeway owns Ralph's and Genuardi's Supermarkets, among others. Kroger has Kroger, QFC, and Fred Meyer, among others.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:57 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Why don't you tell us the pattern instead of leaving us to guess?

It looks to me like Haggen is mostly being relegated to the hinterlands in this deal by the DOJ. If I were Haggen I would have wanted locations in Bel-Red-Kirk-Issaquah, Seattle, Lake Forest Park, Newcastle, Renton, etc. They do get a store in Redmond, Shoreline, and Renton. If I were a Haggen exec I don't think I would be thrilled with this deal from the DOJ.
Didn't think it was all that hard to see. Other than at the very margins, all of the stores Haggen will be buying are outside of the Seattle or Tacoma urban areas. That does fit Haggen's current profile, which is focused on smaller (Bellingham, Boise, etc.) rather than larger metropolitan areas, so I'm not at all sure it is simply that they're picking up the left-overs. They're also adding a bunch of stores in California - I didn't look to see if the same pattern existed there or not.

While Safeway has a large presence in Seattle, the same can't be said for Albertson's, with only two stores in Seattle proper. So, it can't be said that competition will be hurt in Seattle. Adding Haggen into the mix would increase competition, of course, but the DOJ isn't going to insist on that.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:57 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
I worked at the Everett, WA, Top Foods, starting in November of 1984. I was a maintenance worker. Tough to sweep the floor on Saturday's! The place was packed.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:38 PM

262 posts, read 307,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I worked at the Everett, WA, Top Foods, starting in November of 1984. I was a maintenance worker. Tough to sweep the floor on Saturday's! The place was packed.

If that's the one that used to be by the Everett Mall, it's now a WalMart.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
I am surprised that Top Foods/Haggen is expanding. Their big store in the Crossroads area of Bellevue closed recently. When I lived in Snohomish, I usually shopped at Top Foods -- good produce and butcher counter. Most of the Safeways near me are run down.

Safeway was bought out by a private equity company called Cerberus (a Cerberus is a three headed hell hound from ancient greek mythology). Cerberus already owned Albertsons, so an antitrust review was conducted by the feds. Due to concerns about potential monopoly power, the feds require that Safeway sell off these stores, and Haggen agreed to buy them.

I hope I got that right, but as far as I understand that's the gist of the deal.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:10 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
If that's the one that used to be by the Everett Mall, it's now a WalMart.

It was across from Everett Mall. I think it's the one you're thinking of, Densi52. Not a bad job, I started at $5.00 and after about a year of hard work I got a raise. Who wants ta guess how big my raise was? The winner gets ta bet against Seattle this weekend when they face the fearsome St.Louis Rams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area