Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:19 PM

129 posts, read 208,401 times

Advertisements

For those who lived down southern US way, reminds me a little bit of Harris Teeter. Can be expensive, but they have a lot of what we buy. They sell the Full Circle Organic brand, have a large GF section and a lot of vegetarian frozen food selections. Prices for your drug store or paper products is pretty expensive. Their Haggen brand name products are pretty strong, haven't been disappointed, especially with their bakery. Feel like they are a step above Safeway, but a good option when you don't have a Whole Foods. Store we go to in Olympia is large, open 24 hours and usually well stocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
This is depressing.

Safeway has one saving grace: Home Delivery. Haggens doesn't have it at all, Schwans doesn't have the inventory, Amazon Fresh for some bizarre reason doesn't deliver to the south. One of Safeway's distro hubs is walking distance from me and it's massive. If they shut that down then I'll see the writing on the wall.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
This is depressing.

Safeway has one saving grace: Home Delivery. Haggens doesn't have it at all, Schwans doesn't have the inventory, Amazon Fresh for some bizarre reason doesn't deliver to the south. One of Safeway's distro hubs is walking distance from me and it's massive. If they shut that down then I'll see the writing on the wall.
I doubt they will. Even if the local store becomes a Haggen, they won't shut down the distribution hub. They won't be rebranding Safeways as Albertsons - they'll just share corporate ownership.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:49 AM

157 posts, read 306,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie181 View Post
I would love to see the Safeway in the Issaquah Highland revamped. That store is awful! I'd love a higher quality grocery store with tons of organics there!
Why not go to PCC Natural Markets?

Issaquah PCC | PCC Natural Markets

Old 01-04-2015, 12:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I doubt they will. Even if the local store becomes a Haggen, they won't shut down the distribution hub. They won't be rebranding Safeways as Albertsons - they'll just share corporate ownership.
Yeah I know some people who work there (if this is the Auburn distribution center we're talking about). They expect to see expansion under the new owners.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:52 PM

427 posts, read 430,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantosLHalper View Post
For those who lived down southern US way, reminds me a little bit of Harris Teeter. Can be expensive, but they have a lot of what we buy. They sell the Full Circle Organic brand, have a large GF section and a lot of vegetarian frozen food selections. Prices for your drug store or paper products is pretty expensive. Their Haggen brand name products are pretty strong, haven't been disappointed, especially with their bakery. Feel like they are a step above Safeway, but a good option when you don't have a Whole Foods. Store we go to in Olympia is large, open 24 hours and usually well stocked.

Haggens is no Harris Teeter (which is now part of Kroger like Fred Meyers).

Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yeah I know some people who work there (if this is the Auburn distribution center we're talking about). They expect to see expansion under the new owners.
Well, I know that's the usual mantra...after an acquisition, an announcement of potential expansion...and then layoffs. Let's hope otherwise.

But I just did an online Safeway order and their inventory is STARK. I mean, nowhere near what it used to be. All they really have is frozen foods. Nothing that would be considered a "shelf" item. Barely any ground coffee when I know they have at least 20 brands of it. You go to the kitchenware area, they have one saucepan. ONE.

Something's going on for sure.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
I'm a big Haggen/Top Foods fan. They're a definite step up from Safeway, but not quite Whole Foods/PCC. Their prices are competitive with Safeway, but just a tad higher. Their deli, bakery, and prepared foods are very good. I also like that they carry a lot of PNW regional brands. Portland Pepper Sauce Company, anyone?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Well, I know that's the usual mantra...after an acquisition, an announcement of potential expansion...and then layoffs. Let's hope otherwise.

But I just did an online Safeway order and their inventory is STARK. I mean, nowhere near what it used to be. All they really have is frozen foods. Nothing that would be considered a "shelf" item. Barely any ground coffee when I know they have at least 20 brands of it. You go to the kitchenware area, they have one saucepan. ONE.

Something's going on for sure.
I don't know anything about Safeway's online operation, but knowing safeway they are tech-challenged, and probably the on-line operation is considered a bastard child. I have spoken personally with the Safeway Auburn distribution center director, and she is supremely confident that the takeover by Cerberus will mean expansion for her DC. She is a remarkable young female exec.
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-barber/45/9b6/3b7

Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
I'm new to WA but I lived for 15 years in NC, and Haggen definitely reminds me of Harris Teeter. As others have stated, it's a step up from Safeway but a notch below Whole Foods. Not the best prices on everything, but they carry a good selection of the normal name brand things as well as a good amount of organic/higher end offerings. Since they're headquartered in Bellingham, it will be interesting to see if their massive expansion does anything here for the local economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area