Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:35 PM

603 posts, read 875,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I've witnessed racism in Seattle that I've never seen elsewhere. It's subtle. It's in the way the bus driver tenses up when a Black person asks a question a little too loudly. You can see them tense up, and shut down. It's in how white students at the UW act like anyone who's Black or Hispanic must have gotten in on some special program that lowered the entry requirements. They act like others don't belong there. It's in weird shyt like that, that's never overtly confrontational, but is very telling of the mindset. I hate that. There's no excuse for that crap these days.
There's truth to your claim about the UW students because more often than not those "racist" students are correct. As somebody who used to attend the UW I saw first-hand how much easier it was for blacks and hispanics to gain admission into certain programs and scholarships at the university. Getting free tutoring was also easy for these students. All they had to do was check off their race in a box to get an advantage, even if their parents were wealthy.

This is especially true in the pre-health area, where countless programs are 95% filled with blacks and hispanics. If you were white, Indian, or Asian then you could kiss your chances of getting admitted to certain programs goodbye even if you were more qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 AM

332 posts, read 866,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I don't find that racist I just think you are being dramatic OP. Btw I am a minority as well.

Racism is when people are being malicious based on your ethnicity. This sounds to be more of a case of a curious individual who should have kept her questions to herself.
It is not when you are being malicious. It is when you are of ANY race and prefer that race to others and discriminate other races. You don't necessarily have to be white to be racist although they do have a bad rep (given american history) but in this modern day with so many cultures and races you don't have to be white to be racist. If a place of business (like what happened in my state) only hires just ONE minority race who are less qualified than whites who are qualified is that racism? Yes right? and it's not considered 'malicious' but they most likely have a stereotype that is fitting to make decisions or assumptions. I'm a minority btw but not black nor white.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I've witnessed racism in Seattle that I've never seen elsewhere. It's subtle. It's in the way the bus driver tenses up when a Black person asks a question a little too loudly. You can see them tense up, and shut down. It's in how white students at the UW act like anyone who's Black or Hispanic must have gotten in on some special program that lowered the entry requirements. They act like others don't belong there. It's in weird shyt like that, that's never overtly confrontational, but is very telling of the mindset. I hate that. There's no excuse for that crap these days.
ehh this is worrying to me but I have noticed that college students are the most likely to be racist towards minorities this is true even in the east coast where I am! at the best and most expensive private universities here. Look at what just happened in oklahoma. College students are risky so they will say risky things. In my presence an older white woman called a black man papy (in town) and in my college's bus this white girl was talking down on white girls who dated black guys and this is in one of the most diverse cities in america. Oh and I remember meeting a seattle guy of 22 yrs old who said he wanted to vomit when he found out a white girl he had slept with had told him she had slept with a black guy before. I just guess that racism happens more often in private universities or universities that don't have a more mixed population.

Last edited by cra2ybeautiful; 03-13-2015 at 03:12 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 06:37 AM

269 posts, read 296,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
It is not when you are being malicious. It is when you are of ANY race and prefer that race to others and discriminate other races. You don't necessarily have to be white to be racist although they do have a bad rep (given american history) but in this modern day with so many cultures and races you don't have to be white to be racist. If a place of business (like what happened in my state) only hires just ONE minority race who are less qualified than whites who are qualified is that racism? Yes right? and it's not considered 'malicious' but they most likely have a stereotype that is fitting to make decisions or assumptions. I'm a minority btw but not black nor white.

ROFL

It is amusingly clear that you have NO idea what "racism" truly is.

By your example, as quoted here, it would be "racism" if, for example, a Samoan man "preferred" Samoan women to date, vs. all others. (that perhaps despite his living on an island where the nearby population is comprised of an overwhelming majority of Samoan people)... (you would probably consider him "sexist" as well, when he "preferred" to date only women, and "discriminated" against males in that way)

A business hiring a person of any color, over a (more qualified) white person, is clearly not by itself an example of "racism" (except by your amusingly-wrong understanding).

Blacks and Hispanics gaining admission to programs at a university is in no way a clear example of "racism".

"Racism" simply must include a clear implication or belief that some certain race is somehow better than another.

Filling mandated quotas determined by somebody else at a university is not "racism". Nor is it "racism" when companies hire so as to maintain a workforce containing minority workers in numbers mandated by laws written by somebody else.

Some people even say that you "can't have racism without power", suggesting that it is almost exclusively the races represented by a majority of local and national government who perpetrate racism.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoTime View Post
ROFL

It is amusingly clear that you have NO idea what "racism" truly is.

By your example, as quoted here, it would be "racism" if, for example, a Samoan man "preferred" Samoan women to date, vs. all others. (that perhaps despite his living on an island where the nearby population is comprised of an overwhelming majority of Samoan people)... (you would probably consider him "sexist" as well, when he "preferred" to date only women, and "discriminated" against males in that way)

A business hiring a person of any color, over a (more qualified) white person, is clearly not by itself an example of "racism" (except by your amusingly-wrong understanding).

Blacks and Hispanics gaining admission to programs at a university is in no way a clear example of "racism".

"Racism" simply must include a clear implication or belief that some certain race is somehow better than another.

Filling mandated quotas determined by somebody else at a university is not "racism". Nor is it "racism" when companies hire so as to maintain a workforce containing minority workers in numbers mandated by laws written by somebody else.

Some people even say that you "can't have racism without power", suggesting that it is almost exclusively the races represented by a majority of local and national government who perpetrate racism.
It is amusingly hilarious that you cannot understand that racism is a prejudice against another because of their race. A person can be racist against his or her race. Obviously if they PREFER another race because they view that race or races better (more beautiful, smarter, more classy, etc) than all others then that is racism. As long as that race is getting preferential treatment (including dating). Definition from Meriam dictionary online,

: poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race
: the belief that some races of people are better than others

Are you crazy? So are you saying an agency or a company that hires ONLY people of their own race is not racist? even though the people they hire of their own race are ex cons and never finished high school yet prefer them over someone of another race who has a graduate degree and years of experience with no felonies? Google Metro Washington Post and you will see what I'm talking about.

When it comes to education most schools only see dollar signs so as long as the student has adequate grades but have the financial aid and money to attend they will be admitted. Competitive programs are harder to get into though regardless of race. Next time please look up on a dictionary yourself. Also, as long as people display favoritism, nepotism, there will be racism. But as long as people don't act violent, maliciously, then it's alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area