U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 02:53 PM

233 posts, read 205,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Seattle was the first place where I felt pressured to "butch" myself up, which was surprisingly hard to do. I didn't feel like I could be myself up there. Felt like I had to be a GI Jane in order to make friends and that's just not me. I have a lot of respect for people who are willing to challenge national ideals of gender, but I realized I am not that extreme.
In all honesty I don't understand why you feel respect for anybody that challenges gender. I see things much the opposite and find it HIGHLY refreshing when we celebrate our natural and time-honored societal gender differences. I think it annoying when a female tries so hard to take on male traits...and vice-versa.
Nothing more appealing to me (from a male to female standpoint) than a classy, feminine woman. And I think that after our culture gets past all this gender confusion, and gets back to applauding how men can be well mannered and masculine....as well as women being feminine and accomplished....we'll all be the better for it.

Just my opinion...probably different than the majority.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-31-2015, 05:07 PM

87,429 posts, read 80,986,241 times
Women feeling pressured to "butch themselves up"? I don't believe it. Never heard of it, in Seattle, or anywhere else. Y'all need to venture past Capitol Hill. Seattle's a huge city. Enjoy the diversity.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:42 PM

288 posts, read 286,955 times
A couple years ago when I was living in King County, I had a lot of really good sex. Though none of the women I hooked up with were girlfriend material.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 PM

233 posts, read 205,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
A couple years ago when I was living in King County, I had a lot of really good sex. Though none of the women I hooked up with were girlfriend material.
Thank you for that.

That's just what we needed to know.

Did you meet them on a bus, by chance?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 PM

288 posts, read 286,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
Thank you for that.

That's just what we needed to know.

Did you meet them on a bus, by chance?
LOL! Nope, not a one. Last time I was living in King County, I was driving 100% of the time.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:23 PM

5,963 posts, read 7,191,339 times
^ another class act

Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,013,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Women feeling pressured to "butch themselves up"? I don't believe it. Never heard of it, in Seattle, or anywhere else. Y'all need to venture past Capitol Hill. Seattle's a huge city. Enjoy the diversity.
If you are naturally pretty, they expect you to ugly yourself up or masculinize yourself to match the level of other Seattle women. There's a reason why so many men come on this forum complaining about the lack of attractive women in Seattle. They are not nice to pretty women, and I know this from personal experience. I got harrassed a lot and treated badly when I was my normal self. Then I started wearing fake glasses, tied my hair in a bun, and wore baggy clothes and hiking boots, and suddenly people started being nice to me and talking to me. It was an interesting sociological experiment, but that still isn't me so I didn't feel comfortable. This wasn't just Capitol Hill, it was all over the metro that I experienced it.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 PM

87,429 posts, read 80,986,241 times
Quote:
If you are naturally pretty, they expect you to ugly yourself up or masculinize yourself to match the level of other Seattle women. There's a reason why so many men come on this forum complaining about the lack of attractive women in Seattle. They are not nice to pretty women, and I know this from personal experience. I got harrassed a lot and treated badly when I was my normal self. Then I started wearing fake glasses, tied my hair in a bun, and wore baggy clothes and hiking boots, and suddenly people started being nice to me and talking to me. It was an interesting sociological experiment, but that still isn't me so I didn't feel comfortable. This wasn't just Capitol Hill, it was all over the metro that I experienced it.
That's interesting. I had the opposite experience. When I started fixing up my hair, people started being nice to me, guys started talking with me while passing on the street, etc. So I still don't buy it. No women I've known in Seattle, after living there over 20 years, ever felt any pressure to make themselves plain, and no one would've been dumb enough to do it, even if such a thing existed. This is just nonsense.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:07 PM

933 posts, read 1,176,936 times
Quote:
If you are naturally pretty, they expect you to ugly yourself up or masculinize yourself to match the level of other Seattle women. There's a reason why so many men come on this forum complaining about the lack of attractive women in Seattle. They are not nice to pretty women, and I know this from personal experience. I got harrassed a lot and treated badly when I was my normal self. Then I started wearing fake glasses, tied my hair in a bun, and wore baggy clothes and hiking boots, and suddenly people started being nice to me and talking to me.
Funny how you consider all of that to be "ugly yourself up", when I find it to be so much sexier than the caked on make-up and hairspray types. Are you sure you didn't also adjust your personality a bit to match? In my experience, the girls who dressed up the most were the worst when it came to demanding attention and felt entitled to more. They would get so pissed off if they had to wait their turn rather than getting to the front of the line. Maybe it is that kind of vibe that you were putting out, and Seattle people don't care for it.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:15 PM

2,444 posts, read 781,898 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. My job is in financial services so I dress accordingly (think suits, Lacoste, Cole Haan etc). My wife is similar in that she REALLY enjoys being the ultra feminine, pretty lady and I would agree that this look is not necessarily popular in certain areas of Seattle.

We've received poor service from wait staff, sensed the cold shoulders, made to feel unwelcomed a few times. But for the most part, we just laugh it off. We are both very comfortable in our own skins so at the end of the day who cares? It's their problem and not ours.

We realize that most of the hatred comes from the far left liberal, femnazi, hipster crowd. I'm certainly not going to change my ways to please them!!!! Screw that. Life's too short. Always be yourself.

Seattle is a really big city. The good news is that there is still a large group of moderate, libertarian, conservatives and non extreme liberals that will walk over to crushed glass to find a pretty, feminine woman. Trust me on this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or