U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-12-2015, 01:14 AM
 
942 posts, read 1,021,701 times
Reputation: 1046

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
The bottom line...men...go somewhere else if you want a healthy and fulfilling dating experience. Seattle will suck the very soul right out of a nice guy, and deprive him of one of nature's greatest aspects: human companionship with the opposite sex. The demographics against single men, the fat ego's of the majority of Seattle women, the gigantic senses of entitlement, the aloof, cold anti social Seattle ethos, coupled with nearly everything RotseCherut wrote, is plenty of reason to decline that job at Amazon single men, and maybe check out opportunities in cities like Chicago, Tampa, Houston, Philadelphia and etc, where single women abound, and outnumber the amount of single men... and where there is no "Seattle Freeze" to contend with. You'll thank me some day for the advice.
Unfortunately, leaving Seattle for other cities may bring a whole another set of problems. In Chicago, New York, SF, DC or LA, for example, the mindset of a lot of young people is very materialistic.
A friend of mine (who now lives in SoCal) said that Chicago dating scene seemed pretty shallow to him.


The South (Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte) is very religious, so if that's not your kind of thing you may feel out of place. Also, people are not as health-conscious as West-coasters so there are more people who are not in a very good shape compared to the PNW.

Minneapolis from what I heard is good for singles in their 20's but after 30 the pool dries up significantly.

Denver has mostly friendly-ish and health-conscious population but the male-female ratio is even worse than Seattle which was confirmed by several (!) of my male friends who live there.


In my experience the young women I met in Seattle suburbs like Tacoma, Federal Way, etc. were very nice, pleasant, fit and easy-going ladies. Maybe you don't need to go far to find a special lady after all, folkguitarist555

Last edited by Flavia84; 09-12-2015 at 01:27 AM..
Rate this post positively

 
Old 09-12-2015, 09:03 AM
 
Location: West of the Rockies
1,112 posts, read 2,015,798 times
Reputation: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
In my experience the young women I met in Seattle suburbs like Tacoma, Federal Way, etc. were very nice, pleasant, fit and easy-going ladies. Maybe you don't need to go far to find a special lady after all, folkguitarist555
And they probably have two or three kids at home, with the father in jail. I'm sure they would be nice to a clean-cut single man that comes their way.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2015, 10:18 AM
 
9,011 posts, read 8,915,071 times
Reputation: 14483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Unfortunately, leaving Seattle for other cities may bring a whole another set of problems. In Chicago, New York, SF, DC or LA, for example, the mindset of a lot of young people is very materialistic.
A friend of mine (who now lives in SoCal) said that Chicago dating scene seemed pretty shallow to him.


The South (Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte) is very religious, so if that's not your kind of thing you may feel out of place. Also, people are not as health-conscious as West-coasters so there are more people who are not in a very good shape compared to the PNW.

Minneapolis from what I heard is good for singles in their 20's but after 30 the pool dries up significantly.

Denver has mostly friendly-ish and health-conscious population but the male-female ratio is even worse than Seattle which was confirmed by several (!) of my male friends who live there.


In my experience the young women I met in Seattle suburbs like Tacoma, Federal Way, etc. were very nice, pleasant, fit and easy-going ladies. Maybe you don't need to go far to find a special lady after all, folkguitarist555
Shallow.......I'll add meaningless, futile, laughable & a total lost cause.......
Just a few more things that come to mind on that point
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2015, 10:27 AM
 
Location: NH/UT/WA
283 posts, read 203,879 times
Reputation: 437
The New, Interactive Singles Map.

The male/female ratio really isn't that much different in most cities if you adjust the bar to the younger population. The biggest reason eastern cities have the higher female ratios is mostly because there are more older single (likely divorced) women there, likely because the median age is older and population growth is lower. Pretty much *every* city has more single 18-34yo men than women. Even Boston which is loaded with colleges has more single men than women. The reason for this is Women tend to date older men.

Unmatched men per 1000 singles (age 18-34):

135 San Jose
124 San Diego
97 Salt Lake City
87 Seattle
81 Houston
80 Las Vegas
73 Denver
70 Los Angeles
66 Portland
62 San Francisco
60 Hartford
59 Dallas
55 Minneapolis
53 Miami
47 Chicago
42 Detroit
37 New York
34 Washington DC
25 Philadelphia
22 Boston

587/1000 means 58.7% of the Seattle single population is male, If about half of the 18-34 population is not single (no idea what the actual % is) that puts the overall ratio at 54%m/46%f.... big whoop. The single population is 53-60%+ men for almost *every* major metro area, and you know what in rural areas (like where I live) its even worse (try 70%+)...In the end your talking about a marginal difference. Stop using it as an excuse for you own personal dating failures. Nothing much will make a woman less attracted to you than hearing you complain.

Where I live (rural New England), the median age is about 45-50 years old (I'm 28), and the single population (per trulia) of surrounding towns is anywhere from 60% to 80% male. When I visited Seattle I saw more attractive and fit girls in fifteen minutes than I would in a whole year here. I chatted them up, got numbers, even went on a date and I wasn't here that long. If you can't get a date it's probably you, not them. Spend less time complaining about it on internet forums, and more time socializing or getting fit.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2015, 10:35 AM
 
Location: PNW
445 posts, read 493,710 times
Reputation: 1090
Let me put it this way. I'm on a lot of other forum boards ranging anywhere from college football, to cars, to geeky stuff.

Whenever the topic of Seattle and employment come up on those boards, especially for a single guy, there is always, and I mean ALWAYS, the collective "dude...Seattle is pretty and lots of stuff to do, but the dating scene is horrible, like total sausage-fest horrible. Seriously bud, if you want to date pretty, single women, don't go to Seattle". Every single reply is like this from guys all over the country with varying backgrounds who have experienced Seattle first hand, have family or friends there.

Very telling when the rest of country, through different social media sites, tell guys "Don't go to Seattle if you're single"
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2015, 11:00 AM
 
290 posts, read 391,134 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Unfortunately, leaving Seattle for other cities may bring a whole another set of problems. In Chicago, New York, SF, DC or LA, for example, the mindset of a lot of young people is very materialistic.
A friend of mine (who now lives in SoCal) said that Chicago dating scene seemed pretty shallow to him.
Shallow? Like all sex with hot chicks and no commitment? Because that sounds like the Chicago I know! Being a single dude in Chicago is like being a kid in a candy store with your Mom's Visa.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2015, 11:56 AM
 
Location: West of the Rockies
1,112 posts, read 2,015,798 times
Reputation: 1118
The availability of singles is only one aspect. Having a huge pool of singles is useless when you have no social skills or everyone else lacks social skills.

Consider the industry and socioeconomic aspects of the area, and what kind of people they draw in.

Race & ethnicity is another aspect. If you are not physically attracted to Asians or northwestern Europeans (namely Norwegian, Anglo-Saxon, and German if you consider that NW), you likely won't find much sex appeal in Seattle. Not only do they make up the majority of the area, but their culture and style of socializing has seeped over even to folks that don't belong to those two groups. And often times, these other ethnics are really bad at portraying those cultures and I might even go as far as to say they "abuse" it. What was originally Anglo-Saxon and Asian politeness has turned into snark and passive aggression. What was originally Norwegian humility has gone overboard, and now folks expect you to greet them with this fake "I have low self-esteem and everything you say is offensive" tactic, which is BS. Such an atmosphere is just not conducive to forming a relationship with someone.

I find it much easier to date and socialize in East Coast cities, where the scenes are influenced by blacks and Mediterranean whites, whose cultures tend to be more vocal, open, and tell it like it is. Problem is, it's easy to get overshadowed by others in such cities, because there is always someone in the room who is louder than you, more flambuoyant, or better at talking the talk. And that can be dangerous too. Nashville might be a good start.

In conclusion, I would have to agree with the suggestion that one should not come to the Pac NW without a girlfriend/boyfriend already in hand. And you should have enough money to enjoy all the recreation as well. I didn't, and hence I saw no appeal to living there.

Last edited by skidamarink; 09-12-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2015, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Washington state
5,620 posts, read 3,277,161 times
Reputation: 17374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
I'm all for sisterhood, but come ON, rodentraiser, don't twist RotseCherut's words! Where in the WORLD did he say that he wants "someone uneducated, someone to push around, give you head when you demand it, depend on you like a child, and you want to control everything....."?
Oh, maybe right along here when he said - and I quote: "All you fun, friendly and nice ladies who are not out to make a name for yourself or prove yourself as a liberated, career-oriented, highly independent, outspoken, proudly feminist, extremely educated/sophisticated/intellectually superior, etc.. You are going to find a very receptive group of men in this city.

If he doesn't want women to be liberated, career-oriented, intelligent, outspoken, or educated, then I can assume he wants women to be dependent, home-fucused, dumb, submissive, and uneducated, no?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM
 
1,511 posts, read 1,691,684 times
Reputation: 3421
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Oh, maybe right along here when he said - and I quote: "All you fun, friendly and nice ladies who are not out to make a name for yourself or prove yourself as a liberated, career-oriented, highly independent, outspoken, proudly feminist, extremely educated/sophisticated/intellectually superior, etc.. You are going to find a very receptive group of men in this city.

If he doesn't want women to be liberated, career-oriented, intelligent, outspoken, or educated, then I can assume he wants women to be dependent, home-fucused, dumb, submissive, and uneducated, no?
If I were still single, I'd be happy to be in a city with a lot of "liberated, career-oriented, highly independent, outspoken, proudly feminist, educated and sophisticated" women. I've always preferred to be paired an equal with a mind of her own and her own goals and opinions.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2015, 04:19 PM
 
1,511 posts, read 1,691,684 times
Reputation: 3421
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Seattle is just a platform for ugly women who think they are feminists by default because they're ugly.
Nah. In my 20 years here that hasn't been my experience at all. You seem pretty mean.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top