Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 10:13 AM

12 posts, read 9,841 times

Advertisements

So, my wife and I are moving in April to Seattle. I received a job transfer offer for a position in the IT field that I have always wanted to work in. My job will be in Issaquah and we want to move to an area that is within a 30 minute commute of there.

We would prefer to live in an area that is walkable and has easy access to shops, restaurants, markets, etc. We also would like to live in an area that is affordable. We wouldn't be comfortable with spending more than 225k on a condo (figuring HOA to be around 350). I know that won't buy us much in most areas. We don't need a lot of space, basically just a 2br (even 1br would do) anything over 700sq ft is great.

We have been looking through Zillow and have found properties that fit our requirements in Renton, New Castle a couple in Bellevue and Redmond. We have also found some smaller places in Seattle, but I am thinking I may be insane for considering these since I will be working daily in Issaquah and have to face that nightmare traffic I've been reading about on I 90.

What areas might be good for us to consider? We love the idea of being right in the middle of it all in an urban setting. The reality is it may be a lot less convenient than we'd like. We still lease 2 cars, so parking is a major concern (we'll probably eliminate 1 car in September when the lease expires).

We have thought about renting for a year to get a better feel for the area, but I think we may do better buying as rents for a 200k property look to approach 2,000 a month. A mortgage would be far less, even with paying the HOA dues and it seems that the property market will be seeing some strong ROI heading into the near future. We will certainly be in a good position to buy once our home here sells.

bottom line, where would you live on a budget of 225k with a daily commute to Issaquah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:45 PM

192 posts, read 420,621 times
Have you looked for a condo in downtown Issaquah. You would be able to walk to almost anything from down there. We live In Issaquah ( up on the plateau) and are from Pittsburgh too so welcome!! Renton & Newcastle would be an easy commute as well since you can avoid 90 coming from them as well.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,230,268 times
If I were working in issaquah, the first place I'd look would be Issaquah.
But if you did choose to live in Seattle, it would not be an insane commute if you lived within close proximity to I-90. In the AM, the commute is worse coming into Seattle. Since they tolled SR 520, some of the Bellevue-Seattle traffic diverted to I-90.
But if you lived on North Beacon Hill, or Columbia City, or the Central district, it wouldn't be such a bad commute.

Issaquah Highlands has shopping, restaurants, movies, etc. Issaquah Highlands is not universally loved. Some people don't like how it all kind of looks alike, but people like living there.

Downtown Issaquah has it's charm.

Bellevue will probably have the largest selection of condos or apartments. Somewhere around Factoria would be especially convenient.

Renton would be 25 minutes via back roads, and you'd get more condo or apartment for your money there. Renton has one of the area's older downtowns, which some people like(I do), while others find a little dirty and run down. I'd say check it out. As an east coaster, I like old downtown areas, and Renton has plenty of good places to eat and drink.
Newcastle is pretty, but would be the least urban setting.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 PM

I will give a closer look to Issaquah, I was a little worried that it would be a little too far removed from the city and feel way too suburban or sleepy. I guess being close to work and driving into areas with more action would be okay. Renton homes have appealed to us the most looking at what we get for our money. I have just read mixed reviews on Renton being a decent place to live.

I am guessing we will have to just try to narrow down to a short list and get a feel for the area once we get out there.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 PM

What part of Pittsburgh are you coming from? I can maybe let you know which areas are comparable to Pittsburgh areas.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie181 View Post
What part of Pittsburgh are you coming from? I can maybe let you know which areas are comparable to Pittsburgh areas.
I currently live in Cranberry Twp.....and hate it! I mean it's convenient in a lot of ways and yet there is no real local vibe or character, just chain store after chain store. I like chain-stores and all, but what gets me is sitting at a red-light behind a long line of soccer-moms in their completely unnecessary monster SUVs...and they won't go when it's green...seriously...the light hasn't been red for at least 15 seconds...and still they sit. Sorry that was probably a bit too much venting.

We would much rather live somewhere more urban here. like Shadyside, East liberty (only in the nicer part ), etc. but I work in Cranberry, so we live here. It's convenient but sometimes I really can't stand it.

I would like to be somewhere where we aren't completely car dependant and there is some type of unique local flavor and vibe. I worry that Issaquah is Cranberry Twp for Seattle.

Thanks for your help

Old 02-16-2015, 10:33 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,230,268 times
Okay, based on what you just said: There are a lot of these " Soccer mom, strip mall, SUV " neighborhoods, all over the Seattle area. Some people like them. Many people on City-Data like them.
Me, I just don't feel comfortable unless there's a real downtown nearby, and preferably an older downtown. Maybe that belies my east coast roots, but shiny new areas don't do it for me, not enough character. Downtown Issaquah has character, but a lot of the rest of Issaquah is very pretty, but pretty suburban. Downtown Renton has character, as does the western part of the Renton Highlands, even though it's got strip malls . But it's older suburban, with Asian supermarkets and taquerias, and near Jimi Hendrix's grave. Renton's clearly not as wealthy as some other areas, but it clearly has a unique flavor and vibe. Downtown Renton is pretty walkable, with some great restaurants(including cheap hole in the walls), and great places to drink beer.
Newcastle is very pretty, but suburban.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Okay, based on what you just said: There are a lot of these " Soccer mom, strip mall, SUV " neighborhoods, all over the Seattle area. Some people like them. Many people on City-Data like them.
Me, I just don't feel comfortable unless there's a real downtown nearby, and preferably an older downtown. Maybe that belies my east coast roots, but shiny new areas don't do it for me, not enough character. Downtown Issaquah has character, but a lot of the rest of Issaquah is very pretty, but pretty suburban. Downtown Renton has character, as does the western part of the Renton Highlands, even though it's got strip malls . But it's older suburban, with Asian supermarkets and taquerias, and near Jimi Hendrix's grave. Renton's clearly not as wealthy as some other areas, but it clearly has a unique flavor and vibe. Downtown Renton is pretty walkable, with some great restaurants(including cheap hole in the walls), and great places to drink beer.
Newcastle is very pretty, but suburban.
Thanks for the insight. I'm sorry, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my soccer mom suv rant. It sounds more and more like we may like Renton. I've heard so many different views on this part of the region. I too like an area with a walkable downtown and some character.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelgeek121 View Post
I currently live in Cranberry Twp.....and hate it! I mean it's convenient in a lot of ways and yet there is no real local vibe or character, just chain store after chain store. I like chain-stores and all, but what gets me is sitting at a red-light behind a long line of soccer-moms in their completely unnecessary monster SUVs...and they won't go when it's green...seriously...the light hasn't been red for at least 15 seconds...and still they sit. Sorry that was probably a bit too much venting.

We would much rather live somewhere more urban here. like Shadyside, East liberty (only in the nicer part ), etc. but I work in Cranberry, so we live here. It's convenient but sometimes I really can't stand it.

I would like to be somewhere where we aren't completely car dependant and there is some type of unique local flavor and vibe. I worry that Issaquah is Cranberry Twp for Seattle.

Thanks for your help
Yes, Issaquah is quite like Cranberry. The is a downtown with shops and such that has walkability that resembles Shadyside but you won;t find anything Shadyside like over here on the eastside. You will have to go over to the Seattle neighborhoods to get that vibe/walkabailty that you are referring to. Sadly traffic is 1000 times worse out here than in Pittsburgh so you will want to be close to work.

We are from the Peters Township area and live up on the plateau part of Issaquah but are soon to become Sammamish.

Let me know if you need any more help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area