Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:08 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times

Advertisements

What annoys me is the businesses use this as a excuse to charge for the paper bags in Olympia when it passed. Before plastic was around, we didn't have to pay for paper bags. Now we do. Just another way to nickel and dime people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 09:22 AM

426 posts, read 526,919 times
I believe someone mentioned earlier that this fee was brought on by the local government. Not sure if that's true for Olympia too or not, but a bit of social engineering to encourage people to re-use bags, instead of always taking new ones.

I'd think business would not want to charge for the bags, since those costs could be easily lumped into the sales they make.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:59 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I don't like it either... but, it is here to stay and has been law in parts of California for several years now.

At one time, cleanliness was paramount.

Back in the day of bottle deposits it was a huge problem for grocers... if nothing else, just the ants that were attracted from empty soda bottles.

Have several in the extended family in the grocery store side of things and it is a problem... 99% of the customers are conscientious... or better yet, not a problem... the 1% with nasty bags with mold and filfth create a problem... one bag had a live mouse in it!!!

Also makes it easier to shoplift... just saying

Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
I believe someone mentioned earlier that this fee was brought on by the local government. Not sure if that's true for Olympia too or not, but a bit of social engineering to encourage people to re-use bags, instead of always taking new ones.

I'd think business would not want to charge for the bags, since those costs could be easily lumped into the sales they make.
I always re-purpose my bags... just not by taking them back to the store...

The throw away bags are perfect for waste basket liners, small totes and to wrap things that might leak... with several of course.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Used to be you were bad if you asked for paper bags.."Think about all the innocent trees being cut down!"

Each generation needs to rebel against something I guess.
LOL I remember that!

From my perspective paper bags are a nightmare that nobody bothered to think through. No handles to carry them, too wide, too tall, etc. Plastic bags, I remember being able to loop 10 of them in one hand.

My only issue with plastic bags is, they're too small to hold trash and too flimsy to hold anything else, so I had a tendency to just stuff them down between the fridge and the counter "just in case". Never ended up using them. Same thing my parents did for decades.

I'm ok with the cloth reusable bags but frankly, stores should be banned from charging for one basic reusable cloth bag, if that's the way things are to go.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:05 PM

Principal of unintended consequences...

I remember going door to door as a kid urging the switch to plastic bags for Earth Day... we had to save the trees... guess I'm dating myself.

They also make 100% biodegradable plastic bags... just saying.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 12,300 times
Where can I find a list of cities there in the Seattle area that have banned use of bags? If I'm there visiting (I'm in AZ) and decide to do some shopping, should I just always carry fabric tote bags? We don't have a ban here and those that do use fabric bags are seen as sort of... crunchy granola types. I'm not judging, just saying it's interesting how environmental you all are!

Also, a second question that's a bit off topic. What are your recycle policies like? Here we have two cans. Trash ( food, diapers, ect) goes in one- including plastic bags. The Recycle bin is everything else- paper, glass, aluminum. It's not strongly monitored though. No one comes to look in cans to see if the right things are in each one.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2015, 12:22 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Quote:
Where can I find a list of cities there in the Seattle area that have banned use of bags? If I'm there visiting (I'm in AZ) and decide to do some shopping, should I just always carry fabric tote bags? We don't have a ban here and those that do use fabric bags are seen as sort of... crunchy granola types. I'm not judging, just saying it's interesting how environmental you all are!

Also, a second question that's a bit off topic. What are your recycle policies like? Here we have two cans. Trash ( food, diapers, ect) goes in one- including plastic bags. The Recycle bin is everything else- paper, glass, aluminum. It's not strongly monitored though. No one comes to look in cans to see if the right things are in each one.

Thanks!
All bags are not banned - just plastic ones. Stores have paper bags, but they do charge 5 cents per bag. Quite frankly when I'm spending $50-100 at the store, 10-15 cents isn't gonna break me, but clerks get really apologetic about it if you don't bring your own, so I suspect they take quite a bit of heat for a policy that is completely out of their control.

Most places here will have 3 bins - trash, recycling and compost. And no - there's no recycle police, it's entirely on you.

That said, yeah - we're granola types out here. We get all the watershed from a huge region, and we have some amazing forests that didn't grow overnight. We see the effect of chemicals and plastics right there in the Sound and in our streams and rivers. It all comes out here. Definitely makes you a bit more protective of it, and a little irritated at the folks upstream (and even the ones right next to it) who don't seem to care what washes out at the end.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:29 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times
I used to live in Dublin, which banned plastic bags in 2007 or 2008. All residents of that part of Ireland carried cloth shopping bags around, folded and tucked into a corner of our backpack or handbag, in case we wanted to make a purchase and carry it home. Dublin trained me well, and since then I always carry a folded bag around with me, just in case. It's a great habit to get into, with no petrochemicals or trees required to carry your shopping home.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:07 PM

Well... the statewide California ban has been put on hold since a referendum qualified for the ballot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area