Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
The Rainier Valley route was built to increase the value of dozens of square miles of "underutilized" (under-taxed) real estate. Obvious compromises were made. It'll be interesting to see if future plans straighten that out, though I suspect we're stuck with a single, slow, curvy track swinging out to Rainier Beach for some time. Potentially the Ballard/West Seattle branch coming up for a vote could send another route down the 509 corridor through Burien to the airport. That's a long way off though.
The routing actually makes a lot of sense in my book. I'm glad it runs on MLK and not down the median of I-5, isolated by a sea of highways and industrial sites. This means the light rail is actually useful for destinations other than the airport.

The big mistake came with the decision to make it light rail instead of grade-separated rapid transit. The meandering between Rainier Beach and TIBS is much less of a time suck than the fact that the trains barely crack 30 mph before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 03:41 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
I love the Link. Even with the meandering and slow speed, I am unlocking my front door in the CD within 45-50 minutes of landing, and that includes pitstops with the kids, baggage claim, the 'schlep' to the train platform and a bus transfer at the Mt. Baker station (another 'schlep' for the unfamiliar).

It's a fantasy thinking you can get to SeaTac from downtown in 15 minutes in a private car. That would require zero traffic and driving 70+mph, neither of which are possible at most times. I have been anxiously trapped in traffic en route to/from the airport too many times to count (the stress of which once precipitated early labor with DC1.) No thanks! I hugely prefer to take the Link and glide along for the extra 15 minutes it costs me - that plus the $5 fare for me and two kids. Easy-peasy and super cheap, too.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Speed is worth less, if it is not reliable. What I like about Link is I know it will arrive and get me to where I can go on time. The old express bus to the airport, taking a more direct route, might have been able to beat Link's time on some occasions, but was woefully slower on others. Hauling a suitcase onto a bus is a royal pain.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:19 PM

337 posts, read 494,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
The routing actually makes a lot of sense in my book. I'm glad it runs on MLK and not down the median of I-5, isolated by a sea of highways and industrial sites. This means the light rail is actually useful for destinations other than the airport.
I agree on the MLK routing. What's strange is the meandering from the Rainier Beach station to the Tukwila station through a lot of nothing. Would have been nice to route it from Rainier Beach to Southcenter, then over to SeaTac. But that's just me

Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
It's a fantasy thinking you can get to SeaTac from downtown in 15 minutes in a private car. That would require zero traffic and driving 70+mph, neither of which are possible at most times. I have been anxiously trapped in traffic en route to/from the airport too many times to count (the stress of which once precipitated early labor with DC1.) No thanks! I hugely prefer to take the Link and glide along for the extra 15 minutes it costs me - that plus the $5 fare for me and two kids. Easy-peasy and super cheap, too.
If there is no traffic, it takes no more than 16 minutes at 60 mph. It is 12 miles from downtown to the airport and at an average speed of 60, that is 12 minutes. Add a little more time for entering and exiting and that's 16 minutes.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If there is no traffic, it takes no more than 16 minutes at 60 mph. It is 12 miles from downtown to the airport and at an average speed of 60, that is 12 minutes. Add a little more time for entering and exiting and that's 16 minutes.
I think this is about right. When I have visitors with early morning flights (i.e. before Link runs... sigh) I get a Zipcar for an hour and run them to the airport myself. I don't think it's ever taken me more than 40 minutes to go there and back. It would certainly be a different story at rush hour, and for certain holiday peak periods, the queue of cars trying to get to the airport backs up for several miles onto I-5.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:06 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times
Maybe I'm missing something.

With the extension, the rail will attract more passengers, especially those going to and from the airport. Isn't this going to jam the trains because of the lower turnover rate unless they build another set of tracks?

Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Maybe I'm missing something.

With the extension, the rail will attract more passengers, especially those going to and from the airport. Isn't this going to jam the trains because of the lower turnover rate unless they build another set of tracks?
Over the long term, yes. But the main issue is with the tunnel downtown because it's shared with buses. The Bellevue portion will open sometime around 2023, and it will be using the same tunnel. The buses will be kicked out at some point, probably around 2019 for complicated political reasons.

The airport won't be the main driver of ridership growth. There's huge latent demand for transit from Seattle neighborhoods into downtown. Commuters far outnumber people going to the airport, and future Link extensions will be aimed at getting people to downtown Seattle and Bellevue for work.

All the platforms are able to accommodate four-car trains, but Link is only running two-car trains now. Link also has headways around 10 minutes now, though many other transit systems are able to run trains every two or three minutes. There's plenty of room for the system to carry more riders.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
I drove down MLK the other day and was surprised at how little development the light rail system brought in. Looks like there was a flurry around the time that it opened, but not much since then.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I drove down MLK the other day and was surprised at how little development the light rail system brought in. Looks like there was a flurry around the time that it opened, but not much since then.
Did you drive MLK when the rail first started going in? It looked like a bulldozed path through a 3rd world shanty town. Development definitely slowed during the housing downturn and hasn't picked back up to the degree it did when the line opened. But it's far more developed than it was when the road was lined with tar paper tin roof shacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area