Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 01:29 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,008 times

Advertisements

Belltown ticket trap turns drivers into

Not sure if this issue of Belltown ticket trap has been discussed in the forum yet but if it has not, people who drive in downtown Seattle might want to read this article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 03:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
That's crazy but not surprising. Seattle is run by flim-flam artists. I moved to Bellevue about 14 years ago; I doubt that the city leaders here would ever pull a stunt like this. I won't be getting a ticket on the "woonerf" because I almost never set foot (or tire) in Seattle city limits now.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, OP.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That's crazy but not surprising. Seattle is run by flim-flam artists. I moved to Bellevue about 14 years ago; I doubt that the city leaders here would ever pull a stunt like this. I won't be getting a ticket on the "woonerf" because I almost never set foot (or tire) in Seattle city limits now.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, OP.
Not exactly, but a few years ago I got a ticket in Bellevue, a place I regard as a speed trap. Going down the hill on Lakemont Blvd, near I-90. The speed limit is 40, but when it hits Newport Way, it abruptly drops to 30. And behind the underpass? Your friendly neighborhood police officer. I'd be awfully surprised if a bunch of others didn't also receive tickets there.
I think if you can correctly spell " woonerf", you shouldn't get the ticket.

Last edited by Ira500; 02-25-2015 at 05:26 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 05:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Not exactly, but a few years ago I got a ticket in Bellevue, a place I regard as a speed trap. Going down the hill on Lakemont Blvd, near I-90. The speed limit is 40, but when it hits Newport Way, it abruptly drops to 30. And behind the underpass? Your friendly neighborhood police officer. I'd be awfully surprised if a bunch of other didn't also receive tickets there.
I think if you can correctly spell " woonerf", you shouldn't get the ticket.
Point taken; I have heard of people getting tickets on NE 8th on the way to/from Crossroads where there is a long downhill. You have to ride your brakes to avoid exceeding the limit (IIRC 30), and I don't like doing that. I've never gotten a ticket but have heard tales of such.

But that's a far cry from the Bell St. 'sitting duck' scenario in Seattle.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:57 PM

176 posts, read 299,356 times
This makes me completed ashamed of our city. I love our city so much, but these tactics are completely shameful, deceptive, and do not represent the city that I know and love. I wish they would've turned the entire street blocks into 100% parks instead of making them a woonerf. But this...this makes me so mad.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:22 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,902 times
Do people really not read signs when they're driving? I'm really hoping this is mostly people who got used to being able to go straight through and were surprised by the change. The signs are very visible and clear. The Google Street View images predate the new signs, or I'd post a link.

The city's safety improvements are meaningless if there's no enforcement to go with them. That said, this is a haphazard change to a poorly implemented woonerf. Being on it is only mildly less stressful than the other downtown streets, especially because Bell Street still carries bus routes. With better design, enforcement isn't necessary because it's obvious how the street should be used.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
I love Seattle, but our city planners are completely incompetent. Traffic control in downtown is so convoluted and illogical with signs everywhere that you'd think that city planners were actually trying to purposely perplex people.

All other US downtowns have very intuitive and user-friendly traffic directions. Downtown Seattle is straight out of Alice in Wonderland.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 PM

456 posts, read 774,581 times
Maybe I've been working there too long but I'm not sure what you consider so different about signage and traffic directions downtown versus any other city.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:50 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
Maybe I've been working there too long but I'm not sure what you consider so different about signage and traffic directions downtown versus any other city.
The traffic control systems in Seattle are definitely a bit of a puzzle compared to what other US cities have, whether you're driving, cycling, or walking. It's not just a downtown problem - most of the city has similar issues. There are all sorts of strange intersections created by having three different street grids. Numerous traffic issues over the years have led to incremental restrictions in an attempt to improve the situation. As examples, consider all those no left turn signs on Denny, the sort of bus only 3rd Ave, the confusing 2nd Ave traffic signals with the new cycletrack, the monorail having its own lane on 5th Ave even though it's elevated, and the complete closure of sidewalks for construction projects. Other cities just don't have these issues.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:15 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I love Seattle, but our city planners are completely incompetent. Traffic control in downtown is so convoluted and illogical with signs everywhere that you'd think that city planners were actually trying to purposely perplex people.

All other US downtowns have very intuitive and user-friendly traffic directions. Downtown Seattle is straight out of Alice in Wonderland.
I especially HATE the signs that say no turn 9-5 or whatever. If you have to read everything on such signs, you will most likely crash somewhere. That's why there are electronic signs if you want to prohibit a turn or something else occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: