Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 PM

72 posts, read 299,700 times

Advertisements

Remember that scene in the movie version of the musical "Grease" when Frankie Valli appears to Frenchy (Didi Conn) and sings "Beauty School Dropout" and tells her what she should do?

Well, I need that.

It's decision time, folks. Many of you on this board have helped me in the past couple of weeks as I've gathered information about living in Seattle because I was interviewing with a Seattle-area company. I have an offer from them, and simultaneously a comparable offer from a comparable company in Boston. I need to choose between staying here in Boston or relocating to the Seattle area.

And I am honestly, truthfully, genuinely split 50/50.

My wife and I came to Seattle over the weekend with our baby boy and we explored the city. Mt. Rainier even made a majestic appearance during some sunny hours on Sunday. We think the city is great and got a particulary good vibe from Capitol Hill and Queen Anne as prospective neighborhoods in which to live.

On the one hand, there's the excitement of relocating to a new city, a great city at that, and seeing what our life grows into out there. On the other hand, we have family and friends here in Boston who are supportive and helpful as we raise our first child. The list of plusses and minuses for each scenario is a mile long. The good news is I firmly believe I cannot make a wrong decision here.

I wish I had a powerful gut instinct on what to do, but I don't. I'm taking the weekend to make the decision with my wife.

And I'm hoping Frankie Valli shows up.

I'm posting here because I figure what the heck, someone out there in this forum might have a brilliant insight I can add to the mix.

Go ahead, guardian angels: Sing away!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,062,212 times
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 PM

38 posts, read 35,178 times
Convince you why not?

Just speaking for myself, I moved here 3 years ago and am looking to move away.

The bottom line: why be a newcomer to a city that's admittedly adverse to and unfriendly toward more newcomers?

Otherwise, give it a shot, but give yourself a way to go back if you decide you don't like it here.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:02 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,082,871 times
If what's been said is true about Boston being comparable to Seattle and since you have help from family, etc why move out here?

You can always come to visit. I vote for stay in Boston. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Hi. Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Always good to get perspective from the outside.

I realize I was a bit hasty in my description of the two jobs. Content-wise, I am more interested in the Seattle-area job and it pays more. Combining the higher pay with the lower cost of living (yes, I know Seattle isn't cheap, but compared to Boston it is lower), and adding the more interesting job content, my main issue is about relocation. But I'm starting to get a stronger instinct that moving to Seattle is the right decision because we can always come back to Boston if it doesn't work out, but this might be one of those seldom available chances to go to a new city on someone else's dime.

Thanks again for the replies -- makes this fun!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM

534 posts, read 3,104,809 times
that's a good way to look at it. If you don't like it, Boston will always be there... I'm not sure the cost of living is cheaper in Seattle though?

I've lived in Boston (10+ years) and Seattle (5+ years), and while Seattle has it's good points (scenic), the quality of life issue to me, is better in MA (especially when it comes to families and education). Of course you will never find me living in metro Boston again, too rush-rush for me.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:14 PM

77 posts, read 368,365 times
That would be true if you did not have kids.

It's not good on kids to be bounced around all over the place
chasing greener grass. As a baby though, it probably won't matter,
but don't think it is good after he is six or seven to just uproot
him and leave.

Where do you want your kid to grow up? Pick that place, nevr mind a slightly better or worse job.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:36 AM

Hi Treefriend,

Excellent "Big Picture" perspective: Focus more on where we want our kid(s) to grow up, and the rest will follow.

As much as Boston has to offer, my heart tells me the West Coast is where we belong and where we'd like our child(ren) to grow up. I've been to the West Coast dozens of times, and I've always felt this pain in my gut whenever I'm flying back from Seattle, Portland, SF (basically, the Pacific Coast from Bay Area northward) as if I'm leaving a part of me behind. I don't feel that way when I leave any other place (although truth be told, Paris comes close, but for different reasons).

I'm leaning more and more towards joining you in the Pacific Northwest. I did a "regrets" exercise yesterday; i.e., it's three years from now and I've stayed here/gone there...what are my regrets? I could not shake the feeling that if I stay here, I'll regret not having taken the chance when I could have.

I appreciate your and the other posters' help!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:03 PM

77 posts, read 368,365 times
Well, one thing is for certain, so expect it and don't be surprised when it hits you.
When you move here, stuff will go wrong. Just normal stuff. You will second guess yourself,
wonder if you made the right choice...fear that you were mistaken...etc... That's normal.

Just stick it out. Once you learn the streets and areas...find a few cool place that you like...things will calm down but there will be a six month to one year curve where
things will be a little more stressful.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:58 PM

38 posts, read 35,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBorn View Post
. I did a "regrets" exercise yesterday; i.e., it's three years from now and I've stayed here/gone there...what are my regrets? I could not shake the feeling that if I stay here, I'll regret not having taken the chance when I could have.

I appreciate your and the other posters' help!
That's exactly how my wife and I look at our decision. Even though we're planning to move again, had we stayed put, we'd probably still be speculating about what it'd be like to move to the West Coast and Pacific NW.

Now we know, so it's been a good learning experience, even though it's a hassle to now move back.

Other advice: Unless you get a great bargain on a house, rent and then see if you still like it here as your lease approaches expiration. We "had to have our own house" and now have to sell (or rent it out) in order to move. Fortunately, even with the market softening, we aren't projecting an unacceptable loss (maybe break even or minus some smaller bills). In retrospect, you're much more mobile when renting when it comes to taking a mulligan (as they say in golf) and moving back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area