Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:33 AM

209 posts, read 818,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
15% would be a mix of people. Your hardcore Seattle people - ones that only know Seattle and have never lived anywhere else.

But to stay on topic & sum it up, Seattle is not a good place to live unless you make more than $75,000 a year and don't mind the Traffic, the Rain & awful grey skies every day & the Weird "eclectic" people with the funny glasses.
I have lived all over the country. Wages are high in Seattle. Even blue collar labor can earn 75 k easily in the Seattle area. Maybe if you aquired some skills Negotiator.......

Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,667,605 times
I will say I don't recc Seattle as MY home, but I would not say that about anyone else

I'd say at least 98% of the people I've met in Seattle love it here.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
15% would be a mix of people. Your hardcore Seattle people - ones that only know Seattle and have never lived anywhere else.

But to stay on topic & sum it up, Seattle is not a good place to live unless you make more than $75,000 a year and don't mind the Traffic, the Rain & awful grey skies every day & the Weird "eclectic" people with the funny glasses.
I'll take the weird "eclectic" people with the funny glasses over the baggy jeans with the crotches at knee level any day of the week.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM

77 posts, read 368,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
It seems there are some amateur psychologists on this board, or do you two have advanced degrees in psychology, counseling, etc?

Passive-agressive is just what it said: Saying you'll do something and then not doing it; being nice to someone's face and then being mean to them behind their back, etc. It has nothing to do with a feeling of entitlement. It is not "passive-aggressive" because I do not meet their imperious demands. Passive-agressive means agreeing to "meet their imperious demands", then not. "Snarkyness" (a new term that is probably not in any dictionary yet and seems to mean whatever someone wants it to mean), if used in the sense of sarcasm, is present everywhere. So is Passive-agressiveness. It is ot exclusive to Seattle. BTW, I do have some experience in psychiatric nursing.
That's a good definition...but it is only a partial definition.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 PM

712 posts, read 1,363,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
Mr. Negotiator, have you checked into "TAXES" and "CRIME" in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Let me inform you as to "TAXES"

Pittsburgh area home $ 300,000
Property taxes $ 7-8,000 /year
Fed income tax Yes
State income tax Yes
Local wage Tax Yes

Seattle Area home $ 550,000
Property Taxes $ 3500 / year
Fed Income Tax Yes
State Income tax NO
Local Wage Tax NO

You get the idea now?

You are going to PAY a ton of money in TAXES in PA, probably more than purchasing and financing a home in Seattle. So, where do you want your money to go, into your investment or into your Governments greedy hands?
Sorry but you can't compare Seattle to a State - I mean come on, give us Seattle haters a break (Unless you meant to say PAY a ton of money in TAXES in Pittsburgh).

Also, when you look at a city, it is not fair to take an average of all areas of it, its not accurate - especially in the case of the Seattle market.

You basically have to take counties and divide it into chunks. Some chunks are more expensive than other some are cheaper when it comes to house prices, taxes, etc. What you describe as a "Seattle area home at $550,000" is basically East King County. Yuk! Look how expensive it all is!!

Also, it seems that you may be using 2004 data. Today, you can get a 4/2/2 in alot of areas near Pittsburgh for under $250,000. Like-wise in areas including and surrounding Reading & Harrisburg. Look at a 4/2/2 in the Seattle market, its next to impossible to find for under $500,000.

Since you mention crime, there is more crime in Seattle than in Pittsburgh for that matter.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 11,423 times
Quote:

SUICIDES

The Seattle area has a high rate of suicides. Not to mention attempts. It is not uncommon to see someone jump off a bridge. It is very heart-breaking to see. But there has to be a reason this happens here. My guess would be that the weather is always cloudy, raining and gloomy for the most part.

I will live in Seattle someday. I think that overall, even taking into account all the negatives you list, most either don't apply to me or are easily or reasonably negotiable, some just plain avoidable altogether, and many are rather neutral or even positive, depending on your viewpoint. This one is interesting however. WHY DO people commit suicide? It is similar, I bet, to why they commit murder. One thing I suspect is that it is for many different reasons on the surface, although at bottom it is because they are unhappy in a severe way about something in their life, sth they cannot reasonably expect to change or cope with. Without judging them, and without judging me, I could even TELL you what would drive me to the brink of suicide, and it wouldn't be the weather ever. In fact, I love that weather there. What I did say is that there are some things that would most assuredly drive me to the brink, TO THE BRINK.... In the end, it is a decision, not a mere outcome of factors..... Whether I ever do choose such a thing or not, I hope to God that I don't stand at that brink.....

Old 01-12-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Sorry but you can't compare Seattle to a State - I mean come on, give us Seattle haters a break (Unless you meant to say PAY a ton of money in TAXES in Pittsburgh).

Also, when you look at a city, it is not fair to take an average of all areas of it, its not accurate - especially in the case of the Seattle market.

You basically have to take counties and divide it into chunks. Some chunks are more expensive than other some are cheaper when it comes to house prices, taxes, etc. What you describe as a "Seattle area home at $550,000" is basically East King County. Yuk! Look how expensive it all is!!

Also, it seems that you may be using 2004 data. Today, you can get a 4/2/2 in alot of areas near Pittsburgh for under $250,000. Like-wise in areas including and surrounding Reading & Harrisburg. Look at a 4/2/2 in the Seattle market, its next to impossible to find for under $500,000.

Since you mention crime, there is more crime in Seattle than in Pittsburgh for that matter.
Excuse me, I meant the Seattle-Pittsburgh comparison, but I am pretty sure YOU knew that.

2 years ago, I was offered a move to Pittsburgh and spent 5 days there viewing homes with a (real estate agent) in all areas surrounding Pittsburgh as well as an afternoon with a CPA. The basis of my comparison is based on the on site knowledge I accumulated there.

What is the basis for your comparison, a website? lol! OOps I forgot, you are the one that started this thread, barely making ends meet in Seattle, so perhaps Taxes are not an issue for you.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Tau

5 posts, read 17,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
I'll take the weird "eclectic" people with the funny glasses over the baggy jeans with the crotches at knee level any day of the week.
Hahaha, I'm with you on that! Every time I see the kids with the pants down around their knees I want to reach out and yank them back up!

I love SEATTLE! The best news of the week is our beloved Seattle Storm are staying. You won't find any freeze with the kind of people that love this team; ok not too often

Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 PM

712 posts, read 1,363,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau View Post
Hahaha, I'm with you on that! Every time I see the kids with the pants down around their knees I want to reach out and yank them back up!

I love SEATTLE! The best news of the week is our beloved Seattle Storm are staying. You won't find any freeze with the kind of people that love this team; ok not too often
Everyone likes and dislikes cities for different reasons. But I will be bold and say that those that are happy living in Seattle more than likely make $75,000 a year or more, either single or combined income. After all, you cant be happy if you dont have the things in life that are crucial like food, good shelter, etc.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Tau

5 posts, read 17,654 times
Quote:
Everyone likes and dislikes cities for different reasons. But I will be bold and say that those that are happy living in Seattle more than likely make $75,000 a year or more, either single or combined income. After all, you cant be happy if you dont have the things in life that are crucial like food, good shelter, etc.

You would be wrong, we don't make that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area