Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM

17 posts, read 22,939 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are an Aussie family of 4, about to move from Melbourne to Bellevue area mid-year. Just working out whether to move the kids (4 and 7) over to Seattle either at end of school year, or during the summer break. I know moving during the summer break will be great weather, and we'll have time to settle in, adjust to time difference etc, however we will not know anyone or have anyone to connect with over that long break. My husband will be busy working in his new job in Bellevue.

What would you suggest in terms of summer holiday activities for expats/new people from Australia?

Or we could time it so we do the last 4 weeks of school year, at least that way we will get to know maybe one other family, or the school a little bit. Haven't decided on a school, will have to trip over in next few months to find a nice elementary school (and rental) in Kirkland, Bellevue, or maybe Redmond.

Any tips or advice welcome!!

Many many thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
You should definitely come in the summer. Not only will the kids be able to start school fresh in September with their new classes, but you will get to enjoy Seattle at its best. You can fill the kid's days with trips on ferries, Snoqualmie Falls, Deception Pass, Whidbey Island, see whales in Puget Sound, visit Woodland Park Zoo, the Seattle Ducks, Remlinger Farms, Hurricane Ridge, there's so much to do, it will be September before you know it.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 PM

Thank you Seacove, those are great suggestions! I just will be on my own mainly as husband will be travelling everywhere so will very quickly need to get the hang of driving on the right side of the road, navigating, finding places etc! I know it should all fall into place, but love any suggestions re: young kids activities/camps/etc in those areas. Thanks.

Last edited by AussieJane; 03-03-2015 at 11:54 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 11:04 AM

156 posts, read 303,417 times
We moved to Seattle last May and my 1st grader had about 6 weeks of school. I'm glad we did it that way. It was a tough adjustment as far as learning curve and teacher changes but she got to know kids and I was able to go on a field trip and meet other parents. Over the summer we saw kids from her class and the neighbor kids had been in her class so starting 2nd grade she wasnt the new kid. When we went to the end of summer bbq for the upcoming year she knew many kids so wasn't as shy as both of us would have been starting cold turkey.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:10 PM

Where did you move to slan490?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:35 PM

156 posts, read 303,417 times
We moved to Phinney Ridge...

Old 03-04-2015, 05:14 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJane View Post
Thank you Seacove, those are great suggestions! I just will be on my own mainly as husband will be travelling everywhere so will very quickly need to get the hang of driving on the right side of the road, navigating, finding places etc! I know it should all fall into place, but love any suggestions re: young kids activities/camps/etc in those areas. Thanks.
Summer camp can be an excellent way to make friends, gain confidence, learn skills, experience the NW, etc., plus give you some time off from child tending/entertaining.

YMCA Overnight Camps: Camp Colman & Camp Orkila | YMCA of Greater Seattle | Seattle, WA

Seattle Summer Camps | Overnight Summer Camps | Wilderness Awareness School | Seattle, WA

Washington Summer Camps on the Camp Channel

To search for recreation programs:

Activity Search

Old 03-04-2015, 06:41 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
I think it's better to move during the summer.

There are a lot of things going on with an international move so it's nice to not have to worry about school, making friends, adjusting academically, etc. and just focusing on adjusting to your new surrounding.

While you won't know many people, etc. it's also a quiet time to explore parks, restaurants, etc.

Once the school year starts, the kids will be well adjusted to the area so they can focus on school and making friends.

In my case, we actually moved here halfway into the school year (winter break). This was because our house didn't sell over the summer so my family stayed in the home for another semester before moving here. Ideally if the house had sold, they would have been here in the summer.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
We have done the move with kids 4 times. The best results for us have been mid school year. Kids have time to make friends before summer. Moving is pretty stressful on kids and we found having a focus like school was really helpful. Plus the added benefit of being the new kid...everyone was helpful. Starting after summer the returning kids are back with old friends and less likely to reach out to a newbie.

Our last move, here actually, our kids started after summer. It was a long lonely stressful summer...kids worrying about starting at a new school. After this move, we won't move ours again.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 5,678 times
Is Bellevue the best family friendly area? We are getting relocated to the Kirkland area for my husbands job and I have no idea where to start. And Aussie Jane I'm goung back and forth about the same issue. We are coming from South Carolina. Not as far as Australia but still from the other side of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area