Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I agree completely with Seacove and I am a Texan. It is uncommon here (in Houston at least) to see someone walking around toting a gun, and if I saw it I would get away as fast as I could. A person who has to carry a gun around all the time to "feel safe" is the one I'm afraid of. What kind of person chooses a place to live based on gun laws?

Three kids shot within the last week alone in Houston, by the way, by guns lying around the house. Two died.
Thanks fnh, and I'm not against Texans (my parents are too) but the guns are completely over the top. And that's why I wouldn't let my kids around a home with guns. Those accidents are far far too frequent.

Loaded guns falling on the floor in Target? Insanity. NoThankYou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 12:10 PM

16 posts, read 49,951 times
Every one is entitled to their own opinions. i would be willing to move to washington as long as they did not ban ownership of guns. That was my concern.
this has turned in to a debate on weapons when i had no intention of causing that. I only wanted information from those who live there or been to the seattle area.
no one has mentioned the cost of diesel yet.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiewitch1989 View Post
Every one is entitled to their own opinions. i would be willing to move to washington as long as they did not ban ownership of guns. That was my concern.
this has turned in to a debate on weapons when i had no intention of causing that. I only wanted information from those who live there or been to the seattle area.
no one has mentioned the cost of diesel yet.
Just giving a fuller perspective. While a handful may go "Yeah, Murrica!", others will smile politely when they meet you and you'll never know more of them (and may wonder why). I'm speaking Western Washington side. Eastern Washington is more like Idaho and you might love it there, plus its far less crowded.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:20 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Sorry, not a fan of Texans with their guns coming to Washington State. If I see someone carrying a gun in a store, I will drop the goods, park the cart, whatever and leave the store. This isn't the OK Corral. It is not common to see people walking around with a gun here. And if our kids friend's parents have guns, we don't allow them over to their house. I think people that think they can't mail a letter without a gun at the ready are more dangerous. While the gun lovers (and I can name them) will be most likely to reply to the OP because it was their number one requirement, I'm far from alone here in Seattle.

Call me a liberal, I wear the label proudly, but I'm where I belong in Seattle.
No, you are definitely not alone. I don't like guns either. Even cops with guns make me a little nervous... but so does my garbage disposal and chef's knife.

That said, I did grow up amongst many a gun owner and interestingly, a surprising number of them are rather liberal in their politics. None of the people *I* knew were irresponsible with their firearms. They kept them locked. They were used for hunting and going out to the target ranges. A few of them carried concealed. They work as engineers, in HR departments, real estate, hospitals...

Personally, I think the risk of running into "trouble makers" can be highly mitigated by not migrating into known risky areas of a city. I think for many there is a substantial error in perception of risk versus actual likelihood of needing to fire a gun. That part irritates me...

But shooting targets is fun. Archery was my favorite camp sport

Old 03-07-2015, 12:29 PM

I understand flyingsaucermom, I do, my family's discomfort with guns is mitigated by not being around them and avoiding people who think they can't shop for groceries without one. If a retailer loses my business because a customer was carrying a gun, then they can figure it out.

Last edited by Seacove; 03-07-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 12:46 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I understand flyingsaucermom, I do, but my family's discomfort with guns is mitigated by not being around them and avoiding people who think they can't shop for groceries without one. If a retailer loses my business because a customer was carrying a gun, then they can figure it out. <Started a rant, deleted it, whew!>
The Target guy was dangerous. He was young, and judging from appearances, not of a particularly educated class. The event happened within 72 hours of Sandy Hook and it seemed to me that he was being reactionary to the mood and conversation of the country at the moment. If I hadn't been on my way out, I would have also dropped everything and fled.

But if I was at the grocery store and "Dave" and "Chuck" came in with their concealed guns, two guys I've known nearly all my life: stable family men that are involved in their communities. I would say hi, ask about the family, the new boat perhaps, and then continue on my merry way collecting my groceries.

Context matters a lot to me and for that reason it's unlikely that I'm going to make too many blanket statements and judgement....

Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Totally understand. The problem is reactionary guy, "Dave" and "Chuck" all look the same to a stranger. And to your point, I agree, even an armed police officer doesn't thrill me, but the stranger with a gun on his hip? I quietly depart.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:11 PM

486 posts, read 842,791 times
Currently in my area diesel is running from $2.94 - $3.19

Old 03-07-2015, 03:12 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
One thing to keep in mind as you're considering this area is that the Seattle area exists on a relatively narrow strip of land hemmed in on one side by the Cascade Mountains, and on the other by Puget Sound. There is a 20 mile long lake right in the middle of the city (which is only one of many lakes). Builders can't build if there isn't land. It's one of the reasons housing is so painfully tight - there is only so much (buildable) space and millions of people to fit into it. It's also a big reason our streets don't make sense and our traffic is horribly frustrating. You will simply not find Texas sized lots here, and if you do - you will pay dearly for it unless it is accompanied by a rather painful commute. You may find you need to adjust your mindset a bit regarding the value of land.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:08 PM

16 posts, read 49,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
One thing to keep in mind as you're considering this area is that the Seattle area exists on a relatively narrow strip of land hemmed in on one side by the Cascade Mountains, and on the other by Puget Sound. There is a 20 mile long lake right in the middle of the city (which is only one of many lakes). Builders can't build if there isn't land. It's one of the reasons housing is so painfully tight - there is only so much (buildable) space and millions of people to fit into it. It's also a big reason our streets don't make sense and our traffic is horribly frustrating. You will simply not find Texas sized lots here, and if you do - you will pay dearly for it unless it is accompanied by a rather painful commute. You may find you need to adjust your mindset a bit regarding the value of land.
Thank you very much for pointing this out. We will definitely have to discuss the fact that we will have to sacrifice space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area