Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,967 times

Advertisements

Hi folks - it's looking likely that we'll be relocating to Seattle, with my husband working at UW.

We're coming from the Boston area, so the housing prices aren't a shock (and we're OK with small fixer-uppers). What I'm trying to do right now is figure out where can we live with excellent schools that's within a reasonable bike-commute distance (up to 1 hour/ 10 miles), where my kids won't be *completely* surrounded by families who go skiing in Aspen on the weekend (or whatever the local equivalent is). We're not rich!

I'm tempted to just look at Ravenna, but the 20% "not graduating in 4 years" rate at Roosevelt high school bothers me. I'm looking over Eastside on the Coldwell Banker Bain site, but it doesn't show bike routes and elevation gain/loss.

My husband commutes ca. 7 miles with one big (200 ft) hill by bike now. I'm confused by what I've read on-line about commuting over the 520 bridge. There's some sort of bike trail next to 520; are there bike lanes across the bridge? Is it really practical to plunk your bike on those front carriers to get across?

thank you,

mmuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Hi mmuck. MANY folks bike to the U of W from the eastside using the bike racks on the buses. Currently, there is NO bike lane or pedestrian walkway on the SR520 bridge. That will change when the bridge gets rebuilt eventually ...it's years away, however.

Metro Transit is having some problems with the new 3-bike racks they recently retrofitted to the buses but they are working diligently on the problem. They are also researching different ways to provide service to bike commuters as there is a GREAT demand for the service as you can imagine.

One of the considered possibilities is to have bike lockers at the park and rides which are located close to the bridge. That way, a commuter could ride his/her bike to the lockers and then hop on the bus to downtown or the U of W. I believe they have that planned at the new Mercer Island P&R being currently rebuilt.

At any rate, yes, I'd recommend living on the eastside and commuting by bike instead of putting up the the marginal to mediocre public schools in the Seattle school district.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:14 AM

77 posts, read 368,736 times
I-90 has a bike lane if you move to Bellevue.

I recommend looking in North and north of Seattle.

Wedgewood. Sand Point. Lake Forest Park. All these areas
have easy access to the Burke Gilman trail, which runs right through UW.

Even further around the lake...Kenmore, Juanita.

I used to live on JUanita Drive (a connecting route between North lake Wa and
Bellevue) and it's an easy ride to the trail.

That being said, Governor Gregoire is committed to rebuilding 520 soon
and the new bridge will have a bike lane, so there will be a more direct
route from the east side by bike. As it is now, you have to ride around the lake
in either direction to get to Seattle.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:17 AM

Consider the eastside if you are concerned about schools.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:26 PM

77 posts, read 368,736 times
Default View Ridge.

[b]View Ridge is a nice residential area

I did a drive though this afternoon...

Moderator cut: image deleted

The view from this rental...that body
of water is Lake Washington. The bike trail paralles it.
Only a couple miles to UW.

Moderator cut: image deleted

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-12-2008 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Showing an exact and specific listing in a post is prohibited.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 PM

Kids will still be going to Roosevelt, though.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
I'm a biker and can answer most of your questions about elevations. First, the Puget sound area is hilly (very hilly) But if you find a place close to the Burke-Gilman trail, your husband can bike commute to the UW. It is very flat. With the distance you are looking at, the furthest out would be Kenmore from the UW. Maybe Lake City...

You'll find the biking in Seattle is great. Don't forget to get fenders and gore-tex :-)

Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
The Northshore School District is supposed to be good, and you'll be close to the Burke-Gilman.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 PM

72 posts, read 300,248 times
mmuck, my wife and I are relocating from Boston to the Seattle area at the end of this year. When are you and your family moving? If you'd like, perhaps we can e-mail each other and share what we learn.

Either way, best of luck with your home search and your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area