Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:11 AM

111 posts, read 412,273 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What's the broadband scene in Seattle. Is it dominated by like one major provider like Comcast? Or are there options?

I'm looking for around 5-8mbps or so. Does anybody use that? Or does Seattle still call DSL broadband?

Service name + dollars per month would be helpful too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Gee, you almost sound like Seattle is some little town in the sticks.

Remember, the Seattle area is home to some big and prominent tech companies, as I'm sure you know.

I don't think your broadband choice will be dominated by one company. Since I no longer live in the area all the time, I'll let others chime in on this but there are a host of possibilities to consider.

Since you need the speed you describe, you'll be more limited but I know that the service that seems to be popular in the suburbs is fiber optic. Verizon's FiOS will provide the speeds you're looking for. A friend in Kirkland just signed up for it with their lowest tier service (cheapest) which I think is about 5Mbps download and 2 upload for about $40/mo. Their higher speed service is 15 Mpbs down and up, which will probably run about $60-65/mo.

Qwest's highest speed DSL, 5-7 Mbps down, and about 900 kbps is about the same price.

I use ev-do, of course it's slower but the advantage is that you can travel with it.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:28 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
call your local utility company too to see if they offer fiber. If you are within a reasonable distance to a hub you might have access. I have a 100mb (not a typo) fiber optic connection in my office for less than $100 a month.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:44 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Millenium digital cable sucks

Just Google that phrase.

They service our apartments. Lose connection all the time. Sometimes its good for a few days, then it's like raindrops of data. Drip.....Drip....Drip.

I know someone's getting a kickback. Oh well.

Could always get satellite wireless, I guess.

This link below, about MDC still holds true. There is cussing on that link. Bad cussing.

The Stranger Forums - Millenium Cable Sucks

They changed their name to Broadstripe 'cuz they SUCK.

Broadstripe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did I mention they suck? 'cuz they Suck!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:57 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
Clearwire is another option, from a locally headquartered company. But I don't think that WiMAX speeds are up to cable standards at this point.

Qwest's higher tier of DSL isn't available in my neighborhood. We use Comcast.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
Curious whether anyone has used Qwest's new faster, better, fiber optic DSL? It's now available in our neighborhood. We use Comcast and are getting good and consistent speeds (see typical reading below from www.speedtest.net), but we're tempted by Qwest's pricing, particularly for their "Platinum" tier, at 7 Mbps. Previously Qwest only offered 1.5 Mbps.

We are now forking over about $57.95 a month for Comcast, with their home networking package.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Comcast = $55

Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
It's funny how all of these providers are now claiming "we have fiber optics too!!" to compete with Verizon FIOS. However, there is one huge, monumental thing that they don't tell you: there is a big difference between fiber optics all the way into your home vs. fiber optics into the neighborhood. Unless its straight to your home like FIOS, the data is still traveling over twisted pair or coax cable (with their vast speed limitations as compared to fiber) from your house until it hits the multiplexer in your neighborhood. It's unethical and dishonest IMO.

Last edited by toughguy; 12-01-2008 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
WOOHOOO.

Survey of cable T.V. subscribers in unincorporated King County

King County's cable television franchises with Broadstripe (formerly Millenium Digital Media) will expire in 2009 and the County's two franchises with Comcast will expire in 2010. This short survey is designed to give cable TV customers an opportunity to assist the County in determining the future cable-related community needs and interests for unicorporated King County as provided for in the KCC 6.27.A.050 C. The King County Executive and King County Council welcome the opinions and suggestions of current customers in preparing for the approval of these facilities.

The County is also considering an application from Verizon to offer cable TV service in the area where Verizon is currently offering telephone service. Question 12 will assist us as we complete Verizon's application request.
For subscribers of Broadstripe Cable, you are encouraged to attend a community meeting on October 28, 2008 from 7 p.m. - 9 p..m at Woodinville City Hall. The County is also planning for another community meeting for the potential subscribers of Verizon and will list any information, once it becomes available, on this Web site.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 PM
h2o

5 posts, read 24,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's funny how all of these providers are now claiming "we have fiber optics too!!" to compete with Verizon FIOS. However, there is one huge, monumental thing that they don't tell you: there is a big difference between fiber optics all the way into your home vs. fiber optics into the neighborhood. Unless its straight to your home like FIOS, the data is still traveling over twisted pair or coax cable (with their vast speed limitations as compared to fiber) from your house until it hits the multiplexer in your neighborhood. It's unethical and dishonest IMO.

Hey toughguy,

You do realize that there is no modem that has a direct plug in for fiber optic right? Also that once verizon hits the side of your house with fiber that it goes into coax. Also that plain old coax can still transmit 100mb speed. Comcast has had fiber in your neighborhood for years now, we only started advertising it now because verizon made such a big deal of having fiber to your house. And yes comcast with its "outdated coax" is just as fast as verizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area