Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:12 PM

176 posts, read 299,356 times

Advertisements

Cultures clash as gentrification engulfs Capitol Hill | The Seattle Times

Quote:
The Pike/Pine corridor of Capitol Hill has become the epicenter of Seattle nightlife, where throngs of young partyers fill a growing number of clubs.
Quote:
“There are certain areas that I have started to avoid,” he said. “I can deal with crackheads, but some of these frat boys that come into town … they behave so badly.”
It's sad that Capitol Hill's night life has turned into what Belltown is at night. What is worse is that it used to be a place of freedom for everyone, and now they are over-run by the people everyone was trying to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:06 PM

426 posts, read 526,919 times
I think it's just all the newcomers coming at once. People who move or go to Capitol Hill to hangout do so for a reason (because of its unique culture). So have no the fear. They will be assimilated, else someone best have a chat with Jeff Bezos.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:36 AM

415 posts, read 490,659 times
“I can deal with crackheads, but some of these frat boys that come into town … they behave so badly.” said Mr. Cônnére in the Seattle Times article. They're also putting up posters and graffiti, "Bro go home." Any generalizations about unpleasant behavior or bad manners of any other ethnic group or sexual minorities would get one ostracized and exiled from good society. But the subtext is clear and the pervasive anti-whitemale sentiment grows.

It's another example of the antipathy to whitemale squares that so fashionable in Seattle media.

I'm sure you remember this infamous twit who complained about the square bros displacing the Capitol Hill freak show, "...artists—musicians, photographers, DJs, involved in underground and alternative subcultures..." Amazon Is Killing My Sex Life | Dame Magazine

Another example has been the opposition to the mountain biking in the Cheasty Green Space, which is at present filled with derelicts, drug addicts and prostitutes. These explain their resistance to transforming the area to a place inviting for wholesome outdoor recreation use by people of all age because this would welcome more "...white male energy..." which they say is the last thing the area needs. Bike-trail plan for Beacon Hill parkland divides residents | The Seattle Times

How did the values of the people in Seattle get so twisted that they prefer drug addicts, prostitutes and criminals to ordinary whitemale squares? There are plenty of opportunities for the "freaks" to "celebrate" their lifestyles, but what about the poor humble put upon betas, nerds and squares who don't ever call attention to themselves? Where's our chance for some square pride?

I don't want to question the veracity of Mr. Cônnére's attack, but I have a hard time fathoming any of the kind of people who haunt Capitol Hill daring to openly express any anti-gay slurs. That itself would be dangerous. Of course it is possible it happened as reported and there is no excuse for any violence, "hate" crime or not. But it's so hard to imagine, I have to ask if it's possible that Mr. Cônnére's allegations are as exaggerated as those in the infamous University of Virgina rape fable published last year in Rolling Stone Magazine.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:17 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post

How did the values of the people in Seattle get so twisted that they prefer drug addicts, prostitutes and criminals to ordinary whitemale squares? There are plenty of opportunities for the "freaks" to "celebrate" their lifestyles, but what about the poor humble put upon betas, nerds and squares who don't ever call attention to themselves? Where's our chance for some square pride?
The former represent gentrification and the latter are things that slow down or prevent gentrification. You have to look at it from the perspective of someone that is on the edge of being priced out of a neighborhood and which represents the lesser evil?

When it comes to creating affordable housing there are really 2 main strategies that represent the lions share of affordable housing units in the US: 1) areas that are relatively inaccessible and far from jobs, thus inexpensive and 2) areas that are run down and crime infested such that nobody that can afford better would choose to live there. Capitol Hill is right next to downtown, so strategy 1 won't work, unless there's someway to "force out" the large employers paying high salaries. Not likely. That leaves 2), which is really the only method accessible from a grassroots level.

The irony of course is that most of the people complaining the loudest are (well) under 30 - meaning they were still living with their parents back when Capitol Hill made the transition from a counterculture neighborhood to a real urban center.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:04 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post
“I can deal with crackheads, but some of these frat boys that come into town … they behave so badly.” said Mr. Cônnére in the Seattle Times article. They're also putting up posters and graffiti, "Bro go home." Any generalizations about unpleasant behavior or bad manners of any other ethnic group or sexual minorities would get one ostracized and exiled from good society. But the subtext is clear and the pervasive anti-whitemale sentiment grows.

It's another example of the antipathy to whitemale squares that so fashionable in Seattle media.
It is you, not the author, who makes the generalization that "fratboys" must be "white male squares," and then turns around and claims it is a racial/ethnic and sexist slur that should, apparently, be struck from public discourse. Beyond. Stupid.

Note that the reference to "fratboys" was part of a quote. You would seem to be saying that the person quoted has no right to his opinion.

"Fratboys behaving badly" is an oxymoron...

Old 03-16-2015, 01:32 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I had to really think about this. Preferring the crackheads over the frat boys. I have to wonder. How bad does a frat boy have to be in order for a crackhead to be easier to deal with?

Old 03-16-2015, 02:30 PM

480 posts, read 845,093 times
So the take-away from the article is that gentrification sucks, because we replace the regular old crack addicts with the highfalutin' nouveau riche? Is it helpful to attack gentrification, as though nobody benefits? The restaurant owner who has expanded from one restaurant to five, or the low-cost housing advocate who has also built upscale?

I find it unlikely that upscale tech industry workers would increase crime rates, or create a climate of fear for people within the gay community. Quite the contrary; virtually everyone I've ever met within the tech industry is overwhelmingly sensitive to cultural issues, and relatively progressive on the whole.

It's far more plausible that the area became more affluent, which attracts criminals, not that the people living in $4,000 apartments are cruising the streets to beat up gay men. In other news, if you go camping and leave out a big box of raw meat, you may wake up with predators.

I would never rule out the possibility that college students would act badly, but despite the "frat boys" claim, it also seems improbable that this attack came from someone in college. What we know is that it was two people who came to the area for the entertainment, or who might have been drunk, or who might have been scouting for victims, or whatever.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:13 PM

128 posts, read 223,072 times
The 1990's was the last great decade in Seattle. Take it from someone who was actually born and raised in this city.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:19 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
I love when gentrification is reported with the same tone usually reserved for ISIS.

"What is worse is that it used to be a place of freedom for everyone, and now they are over-run by the people everyone was trying to avoid."

Oh, the sweet irony.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Property-owners want to rent out their apartments at market value? Oh the humanity! What an injustice to human rights when property owners are allowed to do what they want with their property! Somebody call the president, because now Brian the Barista will have to live in Downtown Tacoma if he wants to be able to get wasted every night and walk back home afterwards.

We have to stand up for Brian, the stoner / alcoholic barista! Without him, we lose out on "character!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: