Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,580 times

Advertisements

Would a new freeway to by past I-5 and I-405 ever happen? Also maybe a extension of 520 maybe 10 miles then go south by snoqualmi and north bend that connects to i-90? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,388 times
I think and hope such a monstrosity is never realized. Do you know what building more road space does? It creates more traffic. Many will erroneously argue, 'more road space means there will be less congestion because traffic will be more spread out'. That's only true in the short-term. Eventually, traffic just expands to occupy whatever space is available. Consequently, traffic eventually becomes even worse.

Many cities have built oodles of freeways and road space with the intention of reducing traffic. These are among the most congested cities in the country: Los Angeles and Houston are prime examples.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
It's a proposal that's been around since the '60s - along with the R.F. Thompson Expressway and a third bridge across Lake Washington (Sand Point - Kirkland).

We're where we are now because City voters decided we didn't need the freeways and County voters decided we didn't need rapid transit (when the Feds would have paid at least 80% of either).

Old 03-19-2015, 12:30 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
I think and hope such a monstrosity is never realized. Do you know what building more road space does? It creates more traffic. Many will erroneously argue, 'more road space means there will be less congestion because traffic will be more spread out'. That's only true in the short-term. Eventually, traffic just expands to occupy whatever space is available. Consequently, traffic eventually becomes even worse.

Many cities have built oodles of freeways and road space with the intention of reducing traffic. These are among the most congested cities in the country: Los Angeles and Houston are prime examples.
current roads will get even more congested than now, so I don't know what your point is. More is more.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 AM

510 posts, read 609,419 times
Statistics have shown that building more roads almost never decreases traffic. It does, however, increase mobility (which may be a good or bad thing depending on what metric you are looking at).

What's Up With That: Building Bigger Roads Actually Makes Traffic Worse | WIRED

Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
No, there isn't enough money to maintain the roads we have now, nor even to finish the new 520 bridge. New highways are
out of the question.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
It's probably inevitable in the long term as our population continues to grow. There'll be some relief as autonomous cars become more widespread, which allows for existing roads to carry more vehicles more efficiently. But mass transit is horribly inefficient and costly for multi-destination trips and for areas with less density, which is why smaller autonomous vehicle-based public transportation networks will become popular.

The obvious route is from Everett to Monroe along 2, then down along 203 and 202 and 18 until it meets up again with I-5. 18 is already a limited access highway. Though I think a better alignment would be to complete 167 so it connects with I-5 and the Port of Tacoma. Trucks heading to and from the port would be able to take I-90 to the new freeway and then right to the port without having to get on I-5.

We need to find room for all of the people moving here, and we need to be able to get them around.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:03 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, there isn't enough money to maintain the roads we have now, nor even to finish the new 520 bridge. New highways are
out of the question.
there is NEVER enough money. Or that's what they want you to believe.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,580 times
I think freeways there would make growth that's why they should go there all these people have to go somewhere and adding more lanes would reduce traffic I think houston I-10 with like 20 lanes doesn't have traffic. Growth is what makes there be more traffic. If they plan for it or don't let it happen then there won't be traffic.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 PM

366 posts, read 595,837 times
There have been proposals for a 605 freeway as a second loop past 405, starting back in 1968. In 1998 the state funded a study to investigate extending SR-18 up to Everett, but the study showed it would only save drivers five minutes during peak hours. In 2004 the state looked at it again for whatever reason, but it's clearly dead in the water at this point.

Local News | State study revives idea of new Western Washington highway | Seattle Times Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area